Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

What computer do you use?

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

What computer do you use?

Old 05-17-19, 06:36 PM
FiftySix
where's the gas tank?

Bikes: Norco Cityglide, Schwinn Jaguar, Schwinn Willy

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 73 Posts
Personally, I have three laptops. All for work and non-work.

A 2006 or so Compaq that gets turned on only to back up certain devices.

A 2011 or so Toshiba that gets turned on to use a non-subscription version of Photoshop I own.

And this is being typed on a 2018 Dell Lattitude 5580.
Old 05-18-19, 01:14 AM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2169 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Zinger View Post
2012 Dell OptiPlex 7010 mini tower PC with Dell Baseboard
Intel i3-3220 64 bit CPU and 8 gigs quality RAM..
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 7000 series
Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7 . . . for now. One of these days I'll be trying some Linux
Edit

Well crap I already answered this thread in Feb on page one and answered it again yesterday . . . then slowly remembered the first one today when it finally struck me as coincidental to be asked again . . . I plead senility

Last edited by Zinger; 05-19-19 at 12:59 PM.
Old 05-19-19, 06:23 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1538 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 46 Posts
I have eight now or pending and am retiring the old ragtag fleet of early 2000s scarred Battlestars.

Yes, three are 10
3 are 7
Two are Linux Mint

One is a twin to one of the 7 units and I ordered a new CPU in hopes of reviving her. If not it only cost me four bucks.

So that really makes a potential of nine and I hope to rescue the drive with 7 on one of the old ones and get it going on the twin.

Marcia Brady rode a ROLLFAST!

Last edited by Rollfast; 05-19-19 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-20-19, 01:17 AM
fullergarrett
"Broke College Student"

Bikes: 2016 Giant Sedona, 1987 Free Spirit Pinnacle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phtomita View Post
I thought this thread was about bike computers....
Since my last post to this thread, I broke down and purchased my first bike computer. It's a Bell Dashboard 150 that does the basics... time, speed, odometer, etc. Tells me the maximum and average speed. Can't beat $13, although it is a little cheap and flaky. Everything is held on by zip-ties, so the hall sensor likes to slide down while riding, causing the speed to be inaccurate and the computer to quit working until it is re-positioned. Unfortunately, it's the "one-use" zip-ties.

As far as actual computers, I've returned home and therefore have been able to play a little bit with the MintTin, my Asus Essentio desktop running Linux Mint 17 "Rebecca." I previously thought this computer died as it wouldn't power on, but it has been powering on just fine lately. I'm thinking about possibly upgrading it to the latest copy of Mint, but it still has no internet connection.

Since my last post, I added a sixth generation iPad to my lineup. Works fairly decent. While not a computer, I upgraded my cell phone Friday to an iPhone 6S.
Old 05-20-19, 01:38 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Take a blank DVD to a neighbors PC and burn a copy. As for internet service, if you look closely you can probably find a decent price for wireless or DSL, aren't you in Centurylink territory? Even that'll do, I'm soaking in it and have the 'Price For Life' bundle at around $80 that replaced their previous 5 year promotion just when my term ended...or there is cable internet.

Not the best maybe but better than getting 1/2 hour a day at the library.

Old 05-20-19, 02:01 AM
fullergarrett
"Broke College Student"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast View Post
Take a blank DVD to a neighbors PC and burn a copy. As for internet service, if you look closely you can probably find a decent price for wireless or DSL, aren't you in Centurylink territory? Even that'll do, I'm soaking in it and have the 'Price For Life' bundle at around $80 that replaced their previous 5 year promotion just when my term ended...or there is cable internet.

Not the best maybe but better than getting 1/2 hour a day at the library.
We have internet service, although it isn't very good. (We use Suddenlink, but used to have CenturyLink. CL was much better. See below.) The MintTin doesn't have an internet connection because it doesn't have a wireless card installed and there's no good place to put it around where the internet modem/router is located in my dad's apartment. I've been thinking about burning a CD with the updates (my ThinkPad has a DVD burner) but why fix something that works fine for now? When I get it to a place where an internet connection is more reliable, I'll probably update it.

O/T (but about ISPs) -
As for internet service, we had to drop CenturyLink because of billing issues and some other shenanigans. But they had really good internet that was super reliable. Suddenlink not so much, at least here in the Jefferson City area. Suddenlink may be fine if you're a very casual internet browser like my dad, but it doesn't work very good for me. The bandwidth is so narrow that my phone syncing Google Photos will bring the whole connection to a near screeching halt. We didn't have that problem with CL. Even when the bandwidth is fine, the connection is much slower than that of CL. Suddenlink also has a lot of outages compared to CL, and they typically last longer. Suddenlink doesn't have an office in the area... the nearest office is like a hundred miles away. Even technicians have to drive that far.

It's quite a shame. When we lived in Boonville, we also had Suddenlink. While up there we had our problems with Suddenlink, they were nowhere as severe and they at least had an office there (at least when we lived there; it closed down shortly after we left.) Suddenlink's internet connection seemed more reliable and much faster in Boonville, and would at least let you do multiple things at once without issues.

Unfortunately, CenturyLink and Suddenlink are the only two options in the area. We've tried HughesNet (a satellite ISP) and had nothing but issues and dropped them within a week. I've thought about just upgrading my cell plan while I'm here and using WiFi hotspot from my phone.

I was one of many who complained about the WiFi offered by our university. But after coming home and dealing with the transition to Suddenlink, I quickly learned to treasure the "free" WiFi offered by our university. Suddenlink is like a snail while our university WiFi is like a rocket.
Old 05-20-19, 09:25 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts
Caveat Emptor, I bought one of my kids a Bell bike computer (maybe even that same model) and it broke pretty quick. I hope yours lasts you decades, but if it dies, I've heard good things about low-end Wahoo bike computers, they can be found very cheap on fleabay
Old 05-20-19, 09:35 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by fullergarrett View Post
Since my last post to this thread, I broke down and purchased my first bike computer. It's a Bell Dashboard 150 that does the basics... time, speed, odometer, etc. Tells me the maximum and average speed. Can't beat $13, although it is a little cheap and flaky. Everything is held on by zip-ties, so the hall sensor likes to slide down while riding, causing the speed to be inaccurate and the computer to quit working until it is re-positioned. Unfortunately, it's the "one-use" zip-ties.

As far as actual computers, I've returned home and therefore have been able to play a little bit with the MintTin, my Asus Essentio desktop running Linux Mint 17 "Rebecca." I previously thought this computer died as it wouldn't power on, but it has been powering on just fine lately. I'm thinking about possibly upgrading it to the latest copy of Mint, but it still has no internet connection.

Since my last post, I added a sixth generation iPad to my lineup. Works fairly decent. While not a computer, I upgraded my cell phone Friday to an iPhone 6S.
I've bought 3 of these Bell cycling computers. One downside is that there's only one number provided by Bell to calibrate any and all "700c tires". For a workaround though, the numbers to enter for specific size tires are on Sheldon Brown's site, I think the Bell computer used the numbers from "Group E":

Old 05-20-19, 09:41 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts
Since my last post to this thread, I broke down and purchased my first bike computer. It's a Bell Dashboard 150 that does the basics... time, speed, odometer, etc. Tells me the maximum and average speed. Can't beat $13, although it is a little cheap and flaky.
Pretty easy to beat $13. (Although I think I was wrong about the Wahoo brand, I remember another thread somebody else saying these generic bike computers are surprisingly good)
Old 05-20-19, 10:01 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 52 Posts
I've got a Bell 150 on the way after my adventures in repairing a Sunding got my only 12 more miles before it broke again... we'll see if it accepts 2750 mm for wheel circumference ;-)
Old 05-20-19, 01:41 PM
fullergarrett
"Broke College Student"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
Caveat Emptor, I bought one of my kids a Bell bike computer (maybe even that same model) and it broke pretty quick. I hope yours lasts you decades, but if it dies, I've heard good things about low-end Wahoo bike computers, they can be found very cheap on fleabay
Honestly, it doesn't surprise me if it doesn't last too terribly long. It doesn't feel very solid. The wires going to the prongs on the bracket holding the computer are just epoxied in with some strands sticking out. But if it lasts a year or so, it'd be nice because I can either get another one or upgrade to a nicer/better built model.

I guess another solution is buying a cell phone holder and using a GPS speedometer on your phone. I did that once and it seemed to work well.
Old 05-24-19, 07:35 PM
bigbenaugust 
always rides with luggage

Bikes: 2007 Trek SU100, 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Home:
- refurb Dell Latitude 7240, core i7, 12" display, 8GB RAM - BunsenLabs Linux Helium - my main machine
- MacBookPro 1,1 (yes, from 2006), no battery - dual boots MacOS 10.6.8 and MX Linux 18, both 32-bit - sits on the desk, gets used sometimes
- Raspberry Pi 3B - Raspbian - minetest server mostly
- Acer Aspire One netbook - MX Linux 17 - was mine, but is my son's machine now
- 2011 MacBook Pro - wife's machine

Work
- Lenovo ThinkPad P50, core i7, 15" display, 16GB RAM - BunsenLabs Linux Helium - main machine
- IBM ThinkPad W530, core i7, thing is a tank - Fedora 30
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: MX Linux / BunsenLabs Linux / Raspbian / Mac OS 10.6 / Android 7
Old 05-26-19, 08:17 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

...O/T (but about ISPs) -
As for internet service, we had to drop CenturyLink because of billing issues and some other shenanigans. But they had really good internet that was super reliable. Suddenlink not so much, at least here in the Jefferson City area. Suddenlink may be fine if you're a very casual internet browser like my dad, but it doesn't work very good for me. The bandwidth is so narrow that my phone syncing Google Photos will bring the whole connection to a near screeching halt. We didn't have that problem with CL. Even when the bandwidth is fine, the connection is much slower than that of CL. Suddenlink also has a lot of outages compared to CL, and they typically last longer. Suddenlink doesn't have an office in the area... the nearest office is like a hundred miles away. Even technicians have to drive that far.

It's quite a shame. When we lived in Boonville, we also had Suddenlink. While up there we had our problems with Suddenlink, they were nowhere as severe and they at least had an office there (at least when we lived there; it closed down shortly after we left.) Suddenlink's internet connection seemed more reliable and much faster in Boonville, and would at least let you do multiple things at once without issues.

Unfortunately, CenturyLink and Suddenlink are the only two options in the area. We've tried HughesNet (a satellite ISP) and had nothing but issues and dropped them within a week. I've thought about just upgrading my cell plan while I'm here and using WiFi hotspot from my phone.

I was one of many who complained about the WiFi offered by our university. But after coming home and dealing with the transition to Suddenlink, I quickly learned to treasure the "free" WiFi offered by our university. Suddenlink is like a snail while our university WiFi is like a rocket.
What you do is get the bundle as it has all the junk in it including calling features for around $80 a month and you learn to talk to the right people. I've had phone service going back to a local Bell in 1987 that led to QWEST and then C-link via mergers and the other thing to do is use their FREE long distance instead of AT&T or whatever. Skip the satellite stuff too, you probably will be happy with 50+ channels of over the air DTV. I haven't had cable since maybe 1997.

Obviously I have a landline and DSL but I can get a virus as fast as anyone. HA! I win.

Old 05-28-19, 12:01 AM
fullergarrett
"Broke College Student"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast View Post
What you do is get the bundle as it has all the junk in it including calling features for around $80 a month and you learn to talk to the right people. I've had phone service going back to a local Bell in 1987 that led to QWEST and then C-link via mergers and the other thing to do is use their FREE long distance instead of AT&T or whatever. Skip the satellite stuff too, you probably will be happy with 50+ channels of over the air DTV. I haven't had cable since maybe 1997.

Obviously I have a landline and DSL but I can get a virus as fast as anyone. HA! I win.
AT&T has been pretty good to me.

The reception here for OTA DTV isn't that great. We have an antenna and get about three local channels, four on a clear day. Of course those channels have two or three "sub-channels" offering additional programming, such as MeTV and Comet.

I purchased a Roku for my dad last year and we use it when there isn't anything good on, but he mostly watches TV via satellite.
Old 05-28-19, 08:46 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 2771 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 115 Posts
I was about to discontinue my home wifi via AT&T when I noticed signs around the neighborhood saying they were finally upgrading the area to fiber optic and true broadband.

I'd already discontinued home phone service but even wifi alone was too pricey for the sluggish service -- I could barely stream an HD movie or YouTube video without stuttering. Our DSL was rock bottom speed, slightly faster than the dialup this neighborhood had until around 2006.

I had even unplugged my desktop a few months ago and was mostly using the low end laptop, tablet or phone for most stuff. My home internet usage was pretty low, around 10 GB a month, and I could probably cut back on that. Most of the usage was frustrating attempts at streaming movies, and occasional music.

But if the speed improves and they don't jack up the price, I may stick with AT&T awhile longer.

I might even finally upgrade the video card on my 2012 desktop.
Old 05-29-19, 02:03 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 951 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
finally upgrading the area to fiber optic and true broadband.

When I moved in to a home in a nearby county back in '02 one of the main selling features for coming to live in that area was that every address in the county was "wired for fiber optic" at the curb. They weren't wrong. I actually had a couple of friends that worked for one of the many contractors they were paying to do the installation.
When we moved in '13 it still wasn't being utilized anywhere except govn't buildings. As of today, friends who still live there report that it's not in use now either.

I would imagine that even if they do make the decision to utilize it that being buried unused going on 17 years that there will be more than a few problems with it.

I currently live just South of an area where I could subscribe for FIOS. I would love to see it happen, but the craphole that is the county/city inbetween here and there largely will keep that from happening any time soon so far as I can tell. I do consider myself lucky to have reliable high speed cable available.
Old 05-29-19, 06:16 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 2771 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 115 Posts
Our area has some upgraded ISP access, notably along business zones. A friend invited me to visit his business office, which is only a few blocks away, to check out their internet speed. But he's in a business zone next to the highways, so it's a prime spot for fast internet if they property owners have any hopes of leasing space in a competitive market.

But the nearby residential area isn't a priority. Most folks I know in the area don't even own computers. They use phones and their own data plans, and most data plans offer much faster speed than our rock bottom DSL. That's bad for folks with home businesses, including photographers/videographers who want to backup their files to cloud services rather than only to home network attached storage.

I'm considering doing freelance photo/video editing but I won't be able to do it from home, not without fast internet to send and receive massive files and back them up to a cloud service.
Old 05-29-19, 11:57 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

They still make blank DVDs.

Old 05-30-19, 10:32 AM
86az135i

Bikes: 1996 Cannondale R900, 2016 Trek Boone

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
PC Build so I can do some gaming on 65" 4k tv

Corsair Crystal 570X Case
i5-8600k six core CPU
EVGA RTX 2070 video card

And random other parts to make it go and stay cool.
Old 05-30-19, 01:57 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Bikes: Steel

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 211 Times in 130 Posts
Vax PDP-11
Likes For wgscott: