Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Worth upgrading my Synapse to a newer one?

Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Worth upgrading my Synapse to a newer one?

Old 06-03-19, 03:35 PM
  #1  
Solidjake
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Solidjake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 133

Bikes: '14 Synapse Carbon 5 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Worth upgrading my Synapse to a newer one?

Hey guys. I purchased my '14 Synapse Carbon 105 just over five years ago (with a 60% off retail discount) and it has served me well, but lately I've been thinking about getting a '19 Synapse Carbon Ultegra with Di2. The retail on that is $4,400 but I would also get that discount so around $1900 after taxes. On my '14 I upgraded the wheels (but the front was damaged in an accident) and also the seatpost to the carbon SAVE one. I'm really intrigued by the Di2 and now it's affordable and a few revisions down the road so it's a lot better than the first gen from what I read online.

I would sell an older Scott Speedster for pretty much what I paid for it ($200) and replace the Scott with the older Synapse.

Has anyone upgraded their Synapse for a newer one? Worth it? Di2 over the 105 worth it? Thanks
Solidjake is offline  
Old 06-03-19, 03:46 PM
  #2  
tagaproject6
Senior Member
 
tagaproject6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 8,273

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
A new bike better than the old one is always nice.
tagaproject6 is offline  
Likes For tagaproject6:
Old 06-03-19, 04:39 PM
  #3  
bruce19
Senior Member
 
bruce19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
Posts: 6,230

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 48 Posts
Don't ignore a CAAD 12.
bruce19 is offline  
Old 06-03-19, 05:09 PM
  #4  
shelbyfv
Senior Member
 
shelbyfv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,253
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 86 Posts
$1900 for a legit brand current Di2, hard to go wrong.
shelbyfv is offline  
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-03-19, 08:18 PM
  #5  
Solidjake
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Solidjake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 133

Bikes: '14 Synapse Carbon 5 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
Don't ignore a CAAD 12.
The CAAD is nice but I don't see the Di2



Thanks guys. I'll probably pull the trigger. Just need to see if my contact has the discount left for the year. Can't wait.
Solidjake is offline  
Old 06-04-19, 06:27 AM
  #6  
bruce19
Senior Member
 
bruce19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
Posts: 6,230

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 48 Posts
[QUOTE=Solidjake;20960807]The CAAD is nice but I don't see the Di2 /QUOTE]

The CAAD 12 is "Di2 ready" so you could put one together. But, you would have to want to do that and find it cost effective.

Just in case...


Last edited by bruce19; 06-04-19 at 06:33 AM.
bruce19 is offline  
Likes For bruce19:
Old 06-04-19, 06:43 AM
  #7  
cycledogg
Senior Member
 
cycledogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,118

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD4, CAAD5, CAAD7 (Optimo), '07 SystemSix, '08 Trek TTX 9.0, 2015 Cannondale Supersix Evo - ZIPP

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Gee, Wally, I don't see the problem.
cycledogg is offline  
Old 06-04-19, 07:12 AM
  #8  
OUGrad05
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I would skip Di2 but that's just me.

If you can get that kinda discount I would pull the trigger on an ultegra bike w/power and skip Di2.
OUGrad05 is offline  
Likes For OUGrad05:
Old 06-04-19, 08:17 AM
  #9  
voyager1
Senior Member
 
voyager1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Trussville, AL
Posts: 163

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domane SL5, 1991 Trek 1200, 1991 Trek 850 Antelope

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
CAAD12 is a race bike the Synapse is a endurance bike. I would think the fit, geometry and ride would be pretty different.
voyager1 is offline  
Likes For voyager1:
Old 06-04-19, 09:15 AM
  #10  
Solidjake
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Solidjake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 133

Bikes: '14 Synapse Carbon 5 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OUGrad05 View Post
I would skip Di2 but that's just me.

If you can get that kinda discount I would pull the trigger on an ultegra bike w/power and skip Di2.
How come you don't recommend the Di2?
Solidjake is offline  
Old 06-04-19, 10:16 AM
  #11  
OUGrad05
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
How come you don't recommend the Di2?
I know two people who had batteries die in rides, yes technically their fault, just a battery deal, but a major headache. My 105kit is pretty nice and regular Ultegra also quite nice and it just works. Di2 is good, but a bit of added risk/maintenance there.

If I forget to charge my pedals I can still ride no problem, if I can't change gear? That sucks.
OUGrad05 is offline  
Likes For OUGrad05:
Old 06-04-19, 10:20 AM
  #12  
trailangel
Senior Member
 
trailangel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 3,625

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1265 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 33 Posts
Where are you buying the bike at 60% off?
trailangel is offline  
Old 06-04-19, 02:16 PM
  #13  
shelbyfv
Senior Member
 
shelbyfv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,253
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by OUGrad05 View Post
I know two people who had batteries die in rides, yes technically their fault, just a battery deal, but a major headache. My 105kit is pretty nice and regular Ultegra also quite nice and it just works. Di2 is good, but a bit of added risk/maintenance there.

If I forget to charge my pedals I can still ride no problem, if I can't change gear? That sucks.
Just to clarify, when the battery goes, the front defaults to the small ring and you can still shift the rear for awhile. Someone's battery dies on our group rides every couple of months, they just laugh at their negligence and spin on in. For the money, I would rather have mechanical DA than Di2 Ultegra, but that's just me. Everyone I know who has gone to Di2 is very happy with it.
shelbyfv is offline  
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-04-19, 03:27 PM
  #14  
waters60
Senior Member
 
waters60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 298
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Bought my Ultegra Di2 Synapse last summer to replace my beloved ‘92 Merckx Century. I have ridden Campy bikes since ‘75 and had been a loyal Campy customer, but finding a built Campg bike is difficult abd expensive. When looking at bikes the cost of components on a built bike made them far more attractive. I settled on the Synapse after trying a Bianchi Infinito and. Trek Domane. The cost of Di2 still made the bike a great deal compared to building up a bike. I have no regrets at all about Di2. I love it. It works flawlessly. If you have a Wahoo head unit you will know far in advance if your battery is dying. It is almost literally impossible to have it die on you given the amount of battery life left after the warning. Failure to heed warning is a user problem. The other thing I love about using it with the Bolt is the visual gear indicator. As with many bikes the wheelsets that come with them are usually not great, but are one of the easier items to upgrade.
I would have no hesitation at all buying the Di2 Synapse.
waters60 is offline  
Likes For waters60:
Old 06-04-19, 03:59 PM
  #15  
Solidjake
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Solidjake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 133

Bikes: '14 Synapse Carbon 5 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OUGrad05 View Post
I know two people who had batteries die in rides, yes technically their fault, just a battery deal, but a major headache. My 105kit is pretty nice and regular Ultegra also quite nice and it just works. Di2 is good, but a bit of added risk/maintenance there.

If I forget to charge my pedals I can still ride no problem, if I can't change gear? That sucks.
Originally Posted by shelbyfv View Post
Just to clarify, when the battery goes, the front defaults to the small ring and you can still shift the rear for awhile. Someone's battery dies on our group rides every couple of months, they just laugh at their negligence and spin on in. For the money, I would rather have mechanical DA than Di2 Ultegra, but that's just me. Everyone I know who has gone to Di2 is very happy with it.
Got it and it's a pricey item to have as a spare and lug around. One thing I am on top of are my battery levels on everything electronic.

Originally Posted by trailangel View Post
Where are you buying the bike at 60% off?
Friend works at a retailer and is able to get 60% off once a year.

Originally Posted by waters60 View Post
Bought my Ultegra Di2 Synapse last summer to replace my beloved ‘92 Merckx Century. I have ridden Campy bikes since ‘75 and had been a loyal Campy customer, but finding a built Campg bike is difficult abd expensive. When looking at bikes the cost of components on a built bike made them far more attractive. I settled on the Synapse after trying a Bianchi Infinito and. Trek Domane. The cost of Di2 still made the bike a great deal compared to building up a bike. I have no regrets at all about Di2. I love it. It works flawlessly. If you have a Wahoo head unit you will know far in advance if your battery is dying. It is almost literally impossible to have it die on you given the amount of battery life left after the warning. Failure to heed warning is a user problem. The other thing I love about using it with the Bolt is the visual gear indicator. As with many bikes the wheelsets that come with them are usually not great, but are one of the easier items to upgrade.
I would have no hesitation at all buying the Di2 Synapse.
Greatly greatly appreciate the response! I would buy the Shimano wireless unit to pair with my Edge 520. Saw a video of it in action on youtube and it's awesome, love the integration. Thanks again and glad to hear that you enjoy it.
Solidjake is offline  
Old 06-04-19, 04:21 PM
  #16  
Ogsarg
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Hollister, CA (not the surf town)
Posts: 620

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 24 Posts
At 60% off, why not? At that price, you can recoup your investment if you decide you don't like it or want something else. Some people would be getting a new bike every year if they had that deal. Maybe a couple.
Ogsarg is offline  
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 06-05-19, 06:24 PM
  #17  
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 13,145

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Nothing wrong with a '14 synapse but for that kind of discount, why are you standing around here asking us?

I see a lot of commentary about DI2... the people that don't have it, me included, don't get the fuss and the people who do have it wouldn't trade it in despite the occasional battery issues (and they all eventually have a battery issue). Meh, shifting is easy if you have normal finger function, doesn't bother me in the least.
TrojanHorse is offline  
Likes For TrojanHorse:
Old 06-06-19, 10:57 AM
  #18  
ridingfool
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
Nothing wrong with a '14 synapse but for that kind of discount, why are you standing around here asking us?

I see a lot of commentary about DI2... the people that don't have it, me included, don't get the fuss and the people who do have it wouldn't trade it in despite the occasional battery issues (and they all eventually have a battery issue). Meh, shifting is easy if you have normal finger function, doesn't bother me in the least.
i have both bmc has ultegra di2 and specialized tarmac has mechanical and no real difference to me in the rear shifting but in the front so much better if u cross chain while I know u shouldn't it will trim itself and never have to deal with chainrub I wear as for battery .have put about 15000 miles on mine never had the battery die mine last for about 3000 miles between charges .just one thing to note for the wieght wienies it is heavier than mechanical think about 3/4 of a pound if not mistaken but for a synapse wouldn't think wieght would be much of a issue
ridingfool is online now  
Likes For ridingfool:
Old 06-07-19, 11:19 AM
  #19  
VK_Rides84
NooBie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 25

Bikes: Giant - Roam3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I just purchased a 18’ carbon disc 105 and love it.

With your component package and price hard to argue with an upgrade!
VK_Rides84 is offline  
Likes For VK_Rides84:
Old 06-07-19, 11:54 AM
  #20  
maartendc
Senior Member
 
maartendc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 753

Bikes: 1989 Cannondale 3.0, 2001 Trek 5200, 2010 BMC SLC01, Minerva MTB Hardtail

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Im gonna say... no.

Realistically, how much improvement has this frame seen over 5 years? Maybe 1 iteration?

Yeahyeahyeah, I know all the manufacturers say their new model bike is SOOOOOO much lighter, stiffer, aero, blablabla. But realistically, we are talking what? 5% here, 5% there? The manufacturing, design, engineering, etc. of carbon fiber frames has not seen dramatic improvements in the last 5 years. The rest is all marketing.

I would say: if you want DI2, just buy the groupset at your 60% discount.

Be honest with yourself: do you just want a new bike, just because? Then go for it. But dont fool yourself that it is a major "upgrade" over your current frame.
maartendc is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
vol
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
1
06-05-13 10:13 AM
SugarPILL
Road Cycling
11
07-24-07 10:06 AM
Groundhawg
Recreational & Family
5
09-11-04 09:12 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.