Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Is this a real Pogliaghi???

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Is this a real Pogliaghi???

Old 06-07-19, 07:22 PM
thinktubes 
Fast+Bulbous

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 11 Posts
Color me impressed - this forum rules!
Old 06-07-19, 07:43 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB View Post
My man! I have no issues with any Holdsworth. I believe I have one or similar - just it was repainted and now no head badge! As for a Raleigh Pro, if it one I will be all over it. They are very fine. My issue is with driving that far on a "maybe". If seller can't provide better photos I am out. Having said that if it is what you believe and it has a campy headset and "bottom bracket" - not sure what he means if it's a sealed BB, I am in.
Ok, assume it's a Brit. First, if it's any of the options, $100 is a decent price for the frame, front mech, seatpost (American Classic installed backwards), HS, chainset, regardless of whether it's no-name Italian, a Raleigh Pro, or a Holdsworth or whatever, if not-cracked or creased. Second, if it's a Raleigh, shouldn't there be a S/N stamped into the steel someplace?

Other clues: Pinned joints? splined butts? Style of how the chainstay/seatstay/fork blade ends are finished? Drillings/stampings/ventings on the bottom of the BB shell?

But seriously, at that price it's a chance to get a potentially nice frame to ride, which just might be a collectible. Don't you need to make a neo-Clubman or something?
Old 06-07-19, 08:10 PM
Chuckk
Groupetto Dragon-Ass

Bikes: http://mcaf.ee/hsm2z

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The cutout on the chrome fork is Grandis
Old 06-07-19, 10:00 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: League Fuji, Ross Aristocrat and soon to be a Takara Tribute

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Chuckk - not saying no, but don't Grandis forks have a big G on them? Can you confirm, just to solve the final question on this bad boy...
Old 06-13-19, 02:14 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: League Fuji, Ross Aristocrat and soon to be a Takara Tribute

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I emailed photos of the frame and the serial number to the MKM frame registry at https://www.mkm-cycles.co.uk.

They now have the number for their files.

In the reply email I was advised "Nice frame with fastback stays which were an extra £3.00 at the time!"What do we get now for £3.00? £3 converted from 1978 to now is only £16.36 per an online calculator and £16.36 is $27.65 Canadian or $20.74 USD. What do you get for that kind of money these days, a couple of inner tubes?

Would have been nice to have the "Milremo Classic Standard" headset, just because I doubt I'll ever see one up close.