Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

The Law of Unintended Consequences

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old 06-08-19, 08:59 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 735 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 70 Posts

I am just going to leave this here.

I ride these roads and canyons on a regular basis. I have not noticed anything out of the usual...

Old 06-09-19, 02:17 AM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2172 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post

I ride these roads and canyons on a regular basis. I have not noticed anything out of the usual...

About time we stop for a "safety meeting"?
Likes For Zinger:
Old 06-09-19, 03:56 AM
ooga-booga
lead on macduff!

Bikes: come and get 'em

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 25 Posts
i notice more reefer aromas riding thru metro san diego/oc/la (usually when stopped at lights or riding along the waterfront/beach/bike paths) than i do in the relative boonies.
Old 06-09-19, 05:20 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 8525 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 74 Posts
I bumped into this article today...

https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...lations-227041

Legalization (and TAXATION) may be killing off the small time growers that fought so hard for legalization.
Old 06-10-19, 01:27 PM
no motor?

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
One of the Chicago aldermen wants to see the legal marijuana business go to the small time operations that would benefit the communities hardest hit by the war on drugs.
Old 06-10-19, 03:31 PM
ahsposo 
Thoroughbred Member

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder

Quoted: 3038 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor? View Post
One of the Chicago aldermen wants to see the legal marijuana business go to the small time operations that would benefit the communities hardest hit by the war on drugs.
Oh, the rich investors will put a stop to that madness. Share the wealth? Not a chance,,,
Likes For ahsposo:
Old 06-10-19, 04:22 PM
no motor?

I know. It was pretty interesting to hear him talk about it on the news, and it's pretty hard to argue with the reasons he gave. He basically said my constituents have been selling this stuff to all those white kids from the suburbs for years, we should get to sell them legal weed too.
Old 06-10-19, 06:58 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Growing isn't legal here but....

The plants bud and get very aromatic outside around Sept/Oct. I used to ride by an area that I could smell it heavily out of a wooded area the group rode past. Some time just a bit later the police busted the 'farmer' as he was harvesting several hundred plants in that area. Had a fairly sophisticated operation going with automatic irrigation and all.
One could only assume that if they hadn't just outright been watching the guy, or perhaps spotted it from the air, that the smell alone was enough.
Old 06-10-19, 07:24 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Quoted: 2781 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 121 Posts
Occasionally I catch a whiff of that distinctive green hemp odor while riding rural roads, especially on humid days. The stuff grows wild in Texas, along with jimson weed, morning glories and other plants that can be used to make mind altering substances that are much more dangerous.

I doubt the wild hemp around here is good for much more than the fiber. Never occurred to me to try it for the CBD content, but I doubt the quality is good enough for even that.

And I wouldn't roam off road until I was slathered up in tick repellent and wearing socks I didn't mind throwing away, because it's impossible to pick out all the beggar lice.
Old 06-10-19, 07:53 PM
clemsongirl 

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post
come south to the beach areas here where we have very restrictive laws about smoking anything outside.....in any case edibles ftw
Old 06-10-19, 08:48 PM
Hondo Gravel
Voted For Pedro

Bikes: Motobecane Boris Fatbike, Motobecane Omni Strada Pro,Fantom Pro CX, Fantom X7 MTB, Gravity SS MTB.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 68 Posts
The Hondo Walmart smells of the green stuff often nobody really cares and I guess the people that brought the smell with them don’t either. Almost got a second hand contact buzz one day.
Old 06-10-19, 09:39 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 26 Posts
There's a legal growing facility around the corner from my house that I ride by often. No discernible scent though.
Old 06-10-19, 10:10 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 735 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
come south to the beach areas here where we have very restrictive laws about smoking anything outside.....in any case edibles ftw
I read the article and is not the fragrance associated with the consumption of the green stuff that local citizens are up in arms. Apparently the growing buds have their own odorous quality that the locals object to. Who knew.
Old 06-11-19, 08:08 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
Occasionally I catch a whiff of that distinctive green hemp odor while riding rural roads, especially on humid days. The stuff grows wild in Texas, along with jimson weed, morning glories and other plants that can be used to make mind altering substances that are much more dangerous.

I doubt the wild hemp around here is good for much more than the fiber. Never occurred to me to try it for the CBD content, but I doubt the quality is good enough for even that.

And I wouldn't roam off road until I was slathered up in tick repellent and wearing socks I didn't mind throwing away, because it's impossible to pick out all the beggar lice.
One of my childhood friends moved 'here' from Kansas and was discussing how they sprayed the sides of roads in order to kill all the weed that grows there naturally. He and I took a road trip up and I was stunned to see pot plants, everywhere alongside the road, in ditches, overgrown fields. We thought we were accomplishing something by bagging a bunch of it up in paper sacks and bringing it home. Even budded out, this stuff was about the same quality as smoking notebook paper.
Old 06-11-19, 08:15 AM
mconlonx 
Str*t*gic *quivoc*tor

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 6967 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
Growing is legal in our state and every now and then you may pass by a location where they very obviously don't use filters on their exhaust.

Growing indoors traditionally requires use of high-power lights (lots of heat) and plants which can only tolerate so much of it. Need to get rid of hot air, thus exhaust fans to pull it out of a building... along with that distinctive aroma. When things needed to be clandestine in the bad old days of prohibition, growers often used filtration systems so as not to have their grow-op detected. With legalization, no need for that additional expense.

Now we play this game when we're on the road: "Skunk or Weed?"
Old 06-11-19, 08:48 AM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Up here in the PNW 30 years ago... if you passed a stand-alone windowless garage with a electricity meter spinning furiously it was a pot operation. Cool enough that heat wasn’t an issue. Helped if the meter reader was in on it too.

I recall duck hunting along the shores (50 years ago!) and my buddy and I damned near tripped over a garbage sacked stuffed with weed. We looked at each other and realized..not going there... not wanting to ah, interfere with an operation gone whacko.
Old 06-11-19, 09:40 AM
no motor?

My brother in law started a home based tool and die business in a detached garage. The city was really curious about his need for 220 volts there, and I figured they were wanting to see if he was growing weed or not.
Old 06-11-19, 11:41 AM
nondes 
Northern Rider

Bikes: 1999 Litespeed Tuscany 105, 2007 Marin Palisades Trail, 2006 Burley Duet tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 23 Posts
Since recent legalization here in Ontario I often pass through vapour clouds on the bike trails. What with loose dogs, earbuds, and people acting pretty randomly on the trails anyway, now I suppose I'll have to be even more careful.
Old 06-18-19, 12:48 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 6381 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by nondes View Post
Since recent legalization here in Ontario I often pass through vapour clouds on the bike trails. What with loose dogs, earbuds, and people acting pretty randomly on the trails anyway, now I suppose I'll have to be even more careful.
Bike trail... hell, a few months back I stayed in a San Diego Motel, in the Rosecrans area (near Modern Times Brewing) that "reaked" of the stuff... you could get high just walking through the halls.
Old 06-21-19, 04:46 AM
ooga-booga
lead on macduff!

Bikes: come and get 'em

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
Bike trail... hell, a few months back I stayed in a San Diego Motel, in the Rosecrans area (near Modern Times Brewing) that "reaked" of the stuff... you could get high just walking through the halls.
someone likes to live dangerously...mt has a great tasting facility there tho.
Old 06-21-19, 10:40 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 6381 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga View Post
someone likes to live dangerously...mt has a great tasting facility there tho.
I remember when it first opened there... I tried the beer and was somewhat disappointed... Now... jeeze they've improved, gone gangbusters, and the stuff is in stores. Wow. But yeah, Four Points by
Sheraton, about two blocks away... whoo hoo. Don't breath the air... Or do.