Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trade all your bikes to help a sick puppy

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Trade all your bikes to help a sick puppy

Old 06-13-19, 12:05 PM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
The most expensive bike that I own is our custom mountain tandem and it cam in at less than $5k. Even my road bike, a Giant TCR, came in under $2K. And you don't have to cut the tandem in half. It has couplers.
Old 06-13-19, 12:31 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
None of us give what we ought to help the poor, homeless, sick and dying.

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 06-13-19, 12:35 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
None of us give what we ought to help the poor, homeless, sick and dying.

-Tim-
Speak for yourself.
Old 06-13-19, 12:38 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Where can I trade in all my sick puppies for a bicycle?

You are one sick puppy, dude!

Wonder if I can get a really good bike for my overweight cat.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-13-19, 01:18 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Speak for yourself.
Well, speaking for myself, I look at people like Mother Theresa who owned nothing and dedicated her life to aiding the poorest of the poor and I feel very selfish.

-Tim-
Old 06-13-19, 01:18 PM
ridingfool

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
If you're not a professional racer, of course $10,000 is a lavish luxurious expense. It's not even a question.

TBH, I don't know which is more obnoxious signalling--the grandstanding virtue signaller, or your need to let us know how rich your neighborhood is, which seems to be the real point of your op.

I don't care whether or not you have a $10,000 bike, but pretending it's "ordinary" to do so in your circles is a bit over the top on the status-seeking bit.
How do u know where he lives as he said where he rides many ride good bikes i ride a route near where I live in North Jersey I'm sure some on here will know it. Called 9w and very commen to see 10.0000 dollar bikes with 5000.00 dollar rims guess most of them are from New York City or maybe not I have a few bikes that cost alot too. But the area I live in is far from weathty .in fact when I ride to get out of my area to get to 9w . Mostly all you see is riders on Walmart bikes
Old 06-13-19, 01:20 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3649 Post(s)
Liked 5,382 Times in 2,732 Posts
There are too many dogs, IMO.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-13-19, 01:27 PM
Hokiedad4

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant Contend

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
There are too many dogs, IMO.
And not enough bikes.
Old 06-13-19, 01:32 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Wait until you see trekmogul's collection
Old 06-13-19, 01:32 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
$10K for a bicycle is absurd and stupid. I ride an '84 Pug that I bought new. IIRC, I paid a whopping $189 for it, that was guite a step up from my Pep Boys 10-speed and UO-8 Pug. It's still going strong. It still gets me from point A to point B and back again. Not a bad investment for 35 years of pleasure. I'd be willing to bet heavily that that $10K bike won't last close to 35 years. But hey, it's your money and who am I to tell you how to spend it.
Jon
Old 06-13-19, 01:42 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Jon T
But hey, it's your money and who am I to tell you how to spend it.
I am going to go out on a limb here and answer: The kind of person who thinks someone who bought a $10,000 bought something absurd and stupid?

BTW...This thread seems like a device to continue this thread that was locked last week:

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...expensive.html
Old 06-13-19, 01:48 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts

You are one sick puppy, dude!

Wonder if I can get a really good bike for my overweight cat.
I'll throw in a rabbit! Sort of housebroken.
Old 06-13-19, 01:50 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
It's okay to think that someone who spent ten grand on a bicycle is foolish with their money just like I think it is foolish to keep dealing with aged parts/tech/and frame design, used stuff, or Walmart level crap. I'd personally rather have a top of the line bike than an expensive car, but I still think ten grand for a bike that isn't some custom one off is pretty silly.

I'm sure one of the reasons why manufacturers make ten thousand dollar bikes (or the top tier of their line) is so the five thousand dollar bikes look like a better deal than they really are. It's not like they are selling a ton of them, but they probably will sell a ton of $5k bikes.
Old 06-13-19, 02:02 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,621 Times in 927 Posts
BTW...This thread seems like a device to continue this thread that was locked last week:

Hey! I hadn't seen that one.
No, the quote in post 1 of this thread was from Post 28

@ridingfool hit the nail on the head. About 45 minutes down the bike trail is where all the "well to do" live. I see them all the time.

Fwiw: A $1000 bike is 5% of the income of someone who makes $20,000/year. A $2000 bike would be 10%. I would venture bike value based on percentage of income of the owner would scale linearly.
Old 06-13-19, 02:21 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by base2
I would venture bike value based on percentage of income of the owner would scale linearly.
Not in my case. My 4 y.o. road bike cost a lot more than $2,000, but it was roughly 5% of my yearly gross income that year. It's had to tell because I don't remember exactly how much I paid for it (got a 2% discount for paying by check) and I moved the wheels over from my previous road bike.

What I do know is that it was a darn good value for a artisanal, custom, ceramic glazed, ti frame that the builder, who twice won Best MTB at NAHBS, spent a lot of time on. I will spare our viewers the "pain" of having to see the beautiful photo of it I have posted so many times.
Old 06-13-19, 02:39 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
Ain't my place to set a price point for your property. I wouldn't spend that much on a bike, but anyone who wants to, and doesn't try to squeeze me to pay for it for 'em, I got no problem with it.

The money spent on the bike doesn't just 'go away'... it feeds families, puppies, and pays rent. Whatever level those things, it's the business of those involved, and not mine.
Old 06-13-19, 02:46 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
I consider a $10K bike to be lavish and luxurious. I'm not about to police other people's spending, though, and there are places in life for lavish and luxurious..

If you think it's normal, though, you're very abnormal. There's a whole universe of households with total income of less than $50K/annually, and too many who take in less than $20K, including government benefits. It would be seemly to remember that.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 06-13-19, 02:50 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
I'm not a dog person - pass.
Old 06-13-19, 02:56 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
I am an avid pet lover. I have owned cats, currently have dogs, and have spent some fairly "lavish" money on vet bills over the years.
After one particular experience where thousands of dollars were spent to "fix" a pet and they died anyway, I set myself a limit. If a pet is going to cost more than a certain amount at one moment for an emergency life saving procedure, my policy is to, instead, have the pet put down.

There are far too many animals in the shelter and elsewhere in need of a good home to spend that kind of money on lengthening the life of one in dire consequence. I even currently have a pair of dogs in which it would break my heart to have to make the decision, but I would nonetheless. Pets are only granted to us for a short time and there certainly is no reason to put yourself in financial straights over them.

As to the subject at hand...my "expensive" bike purchase(s) have been my Roubaix and a pair of trikes. I sold the trikes some years ago and due to a number of issues I don't currently ride the Roubaix. It was what I would consider "lavish" at over $3K. I would not spend more than that on a bike. I don't sell it because I know I will never have anything nicer. The bike I actually ride cost less than $500 and I am quite happy with it both from a ride and possible damage/theft standpoint.
Old 06-13-19, 02:57 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
I am going to go out on a limb here and answer: The kind of person who thinks someone who bought a $10,000 bought something absurd and stupid?

Like I said--a $10k bike is clearly luxurious and extravagant, but I don't think there's anything wrong with that.
Old 06-13-19, 03:02 PM
frogmorton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
Many of my friends have motor boats, in ground swimming pools, airplanes, take exotic vacations, have luxury vehicles. These things cost many tens of thousands. I have one hobby and a $3K bike. It’s all I want right now. If I did choose to spend $10K on a bike that would last several years, be my only hobby and give me many many hours of enjoyment, I wouldn’t consider it extreme and I wouldn’t apologize for not giving it to charity.
Likes For frogmorton:
Old 06-13-19, 03:06 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Using your income percentage definition of "fine bike", I wouldn't ever own one that expensive, so the question is utterly meaningless to me.
It's called "normalization." It is frequently used to standardize a metric in relation to other factors.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I have read on BF that a really nice bike is lighter than a f@rt, and more expensive than a divorce.
BTW @base 2 , I note that in your opening post you quote another (anonymous) poster without a link
In another thread a poster made the following comment: [edited for brevity]
all my bikes have been Salvation army/ Goodwill for $40 dollars. None were $10,000 attempts at indirect self acceptance. (like others) If I had $10,000 to piss away, I would use it to help homeless vets, sick children, suffering dogs and I would gain direct self acceptance by being a kind and giving person.
I leave my quotes as links to identify the author, and if anyone is interested in reading further, or verifying those quotes, they can easily be followed right from the post.
Has “St. X,” contributed to this thread otherwise?

FWIW, I have frequently posted (link) about what owning an expensive bike mean to me, with the bottom line,
I’ve participated in several popcorn threads on BF about the value of “expensive” bikes (I have one), and my last word is "At least I have no buyer's remorse about what I may be missing."
Old 06-13-19, 03:06 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
It is irresponsible to buy a bike you can't afford. I have a nice bike, but wouldn't have need for a $10k bike. That said, there are plenty of people who can have a very nice house, car, bike, golf clubs, etc. and take lavish vacations and still give generously to charity. Should they not be allowed to enjoy the fruits of their labor by buying things that make them happy? It does stimulate the economy. Now, sure, there are people who buy all that stuff and never give a dime to help anyone or any cause. You could call them selfish and maybe they are. But charity has to be given willingly. You can't MAKE someone feed the poor or save the animals even if they can afford to do so. And I'm about the biggest bleeding-heart liberal there is.
Likes For NomarsGirl:
Old 06-13-19, 03:59 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Oops. I think I have it backwards. I have cheap bikes and a $10k dog.

-Kedosto
Likes For Kedosto:
Old 06-13-19, 04:21 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,621 Times in 927 Posts
BTW @base2 , I note that in your opening post you quote another (anonymous) poster without a link Has “St. X,” contributed to this thread otherwise?

FWIW, I have frequently posted (link) about what owning an expensive bike mean to me, with the bottom line,
No anonymous poster has not contributed otherwise. But I did post a link upthread to the thread & post in question.
I didn't think it prudent to blow up either the guy or his inbox with what essentially is a jumping off point for a seperate discussion concerning how we value our bikes. He is free to read & participate in the resulting discussion all he wishes though.

I reject the virtue signaling of the anonymous poster X" & I think @Maelochs was on to something in regards to status, ego, & charity.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.