Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment
Reload this Page >

What are you reading right now?

Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment Do we really need a description for this forum?

What are you reading right now?

Old 04-30-19, 09:45 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 50 Posts
Finished listening to Metropolis, the last Bernie Gunther novel written by the recently deceased Phillip Kerr. Set in 1928 Berlin when Bernie is first appointed to the murder squad. Lots of Berlin decadence and vicious political infighting and violence too. A good read.

Started listening to Shoot for the Moon: The Space Race and the Extraordinary Voyage of Apollo 11 by James Donovan.
Old 05-01-19, 12:09 PM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2145 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by late View Post
This was an evolution of sorts. Once lenders knew how to handle risk, they could make all sorts of loans they couldn't before. In Medieval towns, the church was the center of town. Once markets arrived, they became the center of town.

I'm not sure, but I think the migration north of capitalism had as much to do with Catholic taxes as it did with any refinements in financial instruments.

I'm picking this up manana, looks like the author took guns, germs and steel, and worked on the premise in England.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...a-satia-review
Looks interesting but England only got relevant later on. First there was a period of boom in the 15th and 16th century in Flanders in the shift from the agriculture feudal economies to a trading and crafts economy, taking advantage of their waterways and ports. But only when those cities like Ghent and Antwerp were forced under Spanish catholic rule and the boom went North to Holland in the late 16th century, it's when there was a serious leap in the scale of enterprises, the importance of banks and reliable banks and 'financial products'. There was freedom of religion in the Dutch Republic and there were catholics, but it was the protestants (mainly calvinists) who called the shots and made huge enterprises like the Beemster polder, huge shipyards, windmill powered sawmills, the Wisselbank and the VOC happen through shares and monetary regulation. That's just not something catholics had come up with and these calvinists have a particularly religious attitude towards work, enterprise and profit.
Old 05-08-19, 11:30 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Finished listening to Shoot for the Moon: The Space Race and the Extraordinary Voyage of Apollo 11 by James Donovan. Excellent book about the people and personalities involved with the space program - astronauts, wives, scientists, NASA administrators, technicians, etc.

Started listening to Fatal Grace, the second novel in the Three Pines Mysteries series, which feature Inspector Armand Gamache, by Louise Penny.
Old 05-13-19, 10:58 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Finished listening to Fatal Grace, the second novel in the Three Pines Mysteries series, which feature Inspector Armand Gamache, by Louise Penny. Good book I will continue listening to this series, my wife has read them all and she tells me that they got even better as she read the later novels.

Started listening to Losing the Signal: The Untold Story Behind the Extraordinary Rise and Spectacular Fall of BlackBerry, by Jacquie McNish and Sean Silcoff.
Old 05-14-19, 11:09 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Finished The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller. Liked it. I may read one of her other Greek legend books in the future. Started Truman by David McCullough. Pretty thick. I'll be reading this for a while.
Old 05-14-19, 11:34 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Finished reading, Field Gray, the seventh novel in the series about the ex-Berlin detective, Bernie Gunther, by Phillip Kerr. Another excellent book with lots of cold war espionage circa 1954. Good surprise ending.

Started reading Prague Fatale, the eighth novel in the Bernie Gunther series.
Old 05-18-19, 02:50 PM
Twosheds

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Picked up Anne Franks diary that one of my school kids bought home, i'd never read it before, but its like nothing i've read before.
I've also been reading some Raymond Chandler, which again i've never read before. I'm on a mission to get them all from the charity shops (or amazon!)
Old 05-21-19, 08:15 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Finished listening to Losing the Signal: The Untold Story Behind the Extraordinary Rise and Spectacular Fall of BlackBerry, by Jacquie McNish and Sean Silcoff. OK.

Started listening to the historical novel The Lost Girls of Paris, by Pam Jenoff.
Old 05-21-19, 09:43 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 25 Posts
I thoroughly enjoyed Losing the signal. As someone who liked his Blackberry and the real keyboard, I was saddened to see just how far Blackberry fell. The book was good background as to why and how it all happened.
Old 05-21-19, 05:36 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 9291 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 36 Posts
Just finished The Ghost Brigades, by John Scalzi. Very interesting book, like most of his. He's not the best writer, per se, but his ideas are very interesting. This one revolves around a world where humans are perpetually at war with other species in the galaxy, and the bulk of their fighting force is comprised of human conciousnesses of the elderly transplanted into upgraded, genetically modified clones of themselves. If you haven't read any of his books, they are much more easy reads than the sort of 'out there' sci fi basis of them would suggest.
Old 05-27-19, 12:45 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Finished listening to the historical novel The Lost Girls of Paris, by Pam Jenoff. Fair, a few of the female protagonists were too silly for my liking - romantically, tradecraft dumb, or too quick to jump at wrong conclusions.

Started listening to The Cruelest Month, the third novel in the series featuring Chief Inspector Armand Gamache of Sûreté du Québec, by Louise Penny.
Old 05-30-19, 10:45 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Finished listening to The Cruelest Month, the third novel in the series featuring Chief Inspector Armand Gamache of Sûreté du Québec, by Louise Penny. This series gets better and better.

Started listening to The German War: A Nation Under Arms, 1939-1945, by Nicholas Stargardt
Old 06-02-19, 11:24 PM
jit678

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am right now reading your post.
Old 06-05-19, 02:35 PM
colorider
smorenivore

Bikes: '06 Novara Divano, '96 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Just started The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King. His one foray into the fantasy genre. Looked like it got decent reviews so we'll see.
Old 06-12-19, 08:10 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Finished listening to The German War: A Nation Under Arms, 1939-1945, by Nicholas Stargardt. Bottom line: the German population for the most part got what was coming to them though they believed that no matter what barbarities their soldiers, police, citizens committed or blessed, they believed they were innocent victims of the usual suspects ever since 1918.

Started listening to This Storm, the latest novel of LA Noir by James Ellroy. Setting is LA early 1942, it the sequel to Perfidia.
Old 06-14-19, 08:50 AM
colorider
smorenivore

On a Stephen King kick of late. Just started Mr. Mercedes.
Old 06-14-19, 11:22 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by colorider View Post
On a Stephen King kick of late. Just started Mr. Mercedes.
You will be richly rewarded, especially if you put on hold at your library the second (Finders Keepers) and third (End of Watch) books or audiobooks in the trilogy.
Old 06-14-19, 12:53 PM
colorider
smorenivore

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
You will be richly rewarded, especially if you put on hold at your library the second (Finders Keepers) and third (End of Watch) books or audiobooks in the trilogy.
Thanks. That's good to know. I've read a lot of his older novels and saw that this one had decent reviews and continued for three books so thought it might be good.
Old 06-15-19, 06:31 AM
mariopepper

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am reading Arch of triumph. I can certainly say that it one of the best books I've ever read. So I even choose this book for my college essay. I must confess I am not good enough in writing but I am still trying to improve my skills in this with some help of https://paidpaper.net/edusson-review/ cause reviews is one of the main things in it. Anyway this book worth to be read.

Last edited by mariopepper; 06-27-19 at 07:37 AM.
Old 06-26-19, 03:20 PM
catacombs

Bikes: Kilo TT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Recursion by Blake Crouch. This is one hell of a thrill ride. I really enjoyed Crouch's other book, Dark Matter, a lot. So, if you liked DM, you'll surely like Recursion.

This is an in-between book for me. I'm in the middle of reading all the books in A Song of Ice and Fire. I recently finished A Clash of Kings -- a bit of a slog -- and wanted to read something I could finish quickly and feel accomplished.
Old 06-30-19, 12:36 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Finished listening to This Storm, the latest novel of LA Noir by James Ellroy.Disappointing and nowhere near as entertaining as Ellroy's previous novels. Too repetitive and too long; needed drastic editing.

Finished listening to Wild Bill: The True Story of the American Frontier's First Gunfighter, by Tom Clavin. Good biography.

Started listening to Wild and Crazy Guys: How the Comedy Mavericks of the '80s Changed Hollywood Forever, by Nick de Semlyen.
Old 07-01-19, 04:43 AM
mariopepper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Finished listening to This Storm, the latest novel of LA Noir by James Ellroy.Disappointing and nowhere near as entertaining as Ellroy's previous novels. Too repetitive and too long; needed drastic editing.

Finished listening to Wild Bill: The True Story of the American Frontier's First Gunfighter, by Tom Clavin. Good biography.

Started listening to Wild and Crazy Guys: How the Comedy Mavericks of the '80s Changed Hollywood Forever, by Nick de Semlyen.
This Storm - did you like it? Should I start listening to?
Old 07-01-19, 05:08 AM
Katie Webber

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am currently reading a book on anti-utopia "1984". This is a book that everyone should read.
Old 07-01-19, 01:48 PM
catacombs

Bikes: Kilo TT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Katie Webber View Post
I am currently reading a book on anti-utopia "1984". This is a book that everyone should read.
Agreed. It's sad that many issues George Orwell brought up -- doublethink, for example -- are starting to bleed into today's reality.
Likes For catacombs:
Old 07-01-19, 03:29 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by mariopepper View Post
This Storm - did you like it? Should I start listening to?
I'd recommend American Tabloid, the first and best novel of the Underworld USA Trilogy, written by James Ellroy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underworld_USA_Trilogy It is much better when Ellroy was in his prime, and not obsessing so much on himself and his devil-dog persona.

Also recommended books by Ellroy are those in The L.A. Quartet, The Black Dahlia, The Big Nowhere, L.A. Confidential, White Jazz. I liked them all, but the The Big Nowhere best

All of these Ellroy books are much better than This Storm.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.