Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment
Reload this Page >

'Cancer: The Emperor of All Maladies' documentary

Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment Do we really need a description for this forum?

Old 10-08-18, 11:57 AM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Watched the first part last night. I lost my father to cancer forty years and one month ago. I learned a great deal from this doc. It's a few years old, but I hadn't seen it before. Programs like this are a feather in PBS' cap. I kept looking up mentioned names of major players in cancer research. Kudos to the patients and their families who agreed to filming as they went down this tough road.
Old 10-08-18, 06:49 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2774 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 116 Posts
Thanks, just added to my Amazon watch list. I hadn't even heard of this one.

There was no history of cancer in my family until my dad died of prostate cancer a few years ago, after about 10 years and thinking he'd beaten it. He went very quickly after it metastasized.

I still didn't give it much thought until this year when I was hit by a car. While checking my shoulder and neck for damage X-ray techs noticed my thyroid was so swollen and calcified they couldn't see my spine. The rest of this year has been a series of imaging, biopsies and tests to determine how much we should worry. So far the biopsies are clear but I'm being reevaluated this week and will probably have the thyroid removed since it doesn't seem to be working anyway. They'll do a section biopsy afterward, since the core needle biopsy could test only a small area and it's impractical to reach the back without surgery. Fortunately thyroid cancer is among the least likely to metastasize, but prostate cancer was also considered relatively low risk compared with other forms. So I'll be relieved when that useless lump is out of my body.