Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Selling a bike on ebay

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Selling a bike on ebay

Old 02-20-19, 04:10 AM
dualboot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Selling a bike on ebay

Hi All,
No, not trying to flog it here

I have a nice Islabikes Luath 26 youth road bike that I want to sell (youngest child now too big for it).

I suspect if I put it on ebay local collection only it will go for very little or not sell if I put a decent reserve on it.

I've looked in to shipping it, but a suitable carton cost 16 and shipping itself 24. Similar items on ebay are quoting 30 P&P. Am I missing a trick ?

Also, is there a better place to sell it ? I don't really know what it is worth, so am reluctant to fix a price. The items on ebay are all sell it now but priced a widely differing prices and all you can tell is that they are still there, so haven't sold !
Old 02-20-19, 05:34 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
I've sold bikes on EBay here in the states. I ship with BikeFlights.
IMHO youth bikes are like specialty bikes. If you find the right buyer you can get a decent price. If not, accept the loss and move on. If you ride a lot you can invest in bike karma. i.e. find someone whose kid wants to race and give it to them with the stipulation that it must either be returned or passed along to another rider when they are done with it.
Old 02-20-19, 08:02 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor fixie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
I've never sold a complete bike on eBay - I've always parted them out and sold everything separately. More work, but more return. When I have shipped frame sets or wheel sets, I went to the LBS and scrounged the requisite boxes. Sometimes they didn't have any suitable containers, and advised me to return when they got shipments in, which I did. After that, the shipping cost will be what it is.
Old 02-20-19, 08:39 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 43 Posts
Shipping is all about size, not weight.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...p-bicycle.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ike-101-a.html
Old 02-20-19, 10:18 AM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 6838 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 180 Posts
And the buyer gets to help or hurt your status... so have all the packing materials ready when you list it as slow shipping loses you points..
Old 02-20-19, 01:11 PM
Son_Rising

Bikes: Trek 1400, GT Zaskar USA, Specialized Sirrus, Origin8 Scout, Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Vitus Futural, Specialized Crossroads, Raleigh Tristar 3-speed, Sunny SF-B1423C

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I try to avoid using fleaBay and Paypoo as much as possible.
Old 02-20-19, 01:28 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by dualboot View Post
Hi All,
No, not trying to flog it here

I have a nice Islabikes Luath 26 youth road bike that I want to sell (youngest child now too big for it).

I suspect if I put it on ebay local collection only it will go for very little or not sell if I put a decent reserve on it.

I've looked in to shipping it, but a suitable carton cost 16 and shipping itself 24. Similar items on ebay are quoting 30 P&P. Am I missing a trick ?

Also, is there a better place to sell it ? I don't really know what it is worth, so am reluctant to fix a price. The items on ebay are all sell it now but priced a widely differing prices and all you can tell is that they are still there, so haven't sold !
Your best bet is to sell it locally. Try Facebook marketplace.