Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Need a reroute through Missouri

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 05-31-19, 02:57 PM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts

Leaving from the Twin Cities June 9 for a tour. We were planning on hitting the Katy Trail around June 17 at Marthasville, taking it west to Windsor and then heading to Kansas. Problem is about 100 miles of the trail is under water, so it's basically closed. Looking for a reroute that, if possible, will still take us through Columbia to see friends. Any experience out there?
Old 05-31-19, 03:28 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by revcp
Leaving from the Twin Cities June 9 for a tour. We were planning on hitting the Katy Trail around June 17 at Marthasville, taking it west to Windsor and then heading to Kansas. Problem is about 100 miles of the trail is under water, so it's basically closed. Looking for a reroute that, if possible, will still take us through Columbia to see friends. Any experience out there?
Can’t help on the reroute, but it looks like at least the portion from Boonville to Clinton is unaffected. When I was riding the Katy Trail a few weeks ago, levels were already high, but it has been raining quite a bit since then. I hate to admit it, but this in now the 4th place I’ve toured in the past few years that has seen major damage shortly thereafter. Florida Keys hurricane, Florida Panhandle hurricane, Big Sur bridge washout/massive landslide, and now the Katy Trail flood and major tornado in Jefferson City two blocks from the hotel I stayed in. It’s either really good timing, or I leave a path of destruction in my wake.

Old 05-31-19, 04:28 PM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
I've ridden from Hannibal, MO to Columbia, MO using state highways. It was pretty easy to figure out and low traffic volumes.
Old 05-31-19, 06:26 PM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Originally Posted by boomhauer
I've ridden from Hannibal, MO to Columbia, MO using state highways. It was pretty easy to figure out and low traffic volumes.
Thanks. I did a quick route with bbrouter and then checked it against the MO bike map. Looks good.
Old 06-01-19, 08:44 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,496 Times in 3,008 Posts
Going to ride the GAP in a few days and on the way home might hit the Katy from Booneville to Clinton away from the Missouri River.
Old 06-02-19, 06:59 PM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by revcp
Thanks. I did a quick route with bbrouter and then checked it against the MO bike map. Looks good.
If you want something to see along the way....
All I remember is a fairly large Amish community north by northeast of Columbia, MO about 30 miles. It took me a few hours to realize there weren't any power lines. Lots of bailing of hay the old fashion way. I'm not a farmer and don't know much but it was fun to watch. Try the county roads instead of state highways.
If you are going through Kansas later this link looks fairly helpful for free camping. It lists all the towns where you can sleep for free.
Free City Park Camping in Kansas
Old 06-02-19, 07:42 PM
revcp 

Originally Posted by boomhauer
If you want something to see along the way....
All I remember is a fairly large Amish community north by northeast of Columbia, MO about 30 miles. It took me a few hours to realize there weren't any power lines. Lots of bailing of hay the old fashion way. I'm not a farmer and don't know much but it was fun to watch. Try the county roads instead of state highways.
If you are going through Kansas later this link looks fairly helpful for free camping. It lists all the towns where you can sleep for free.
Free City Park Camping in Kansas
Thanks so much for the link. That would be the Clark Amish community. We may have to ride through.
Old 06-02-19, 07:48 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
Can’t help on the reroute, but it looks like at least the portion from Boonville to Clinton is unaffected. When I was riding the Katy Trail a few weeks ago, levels were already high, but it has been raining quite a bit since then. I hate to admit it, but this in now the 4th place I’ve toured in the past few years that has seen major damage shortly thereafter. Florida Keys hurricane, Florida Panhandle hurricane, Big Sur bridge washout/massive landslide, and now the Katy Trail flood and major tornado in Jefferson City two blocks from the hotel I stayed in. It’s either really good timing, or I leave a path of destruction in my wake.
Would it be bad manners for me to ask you keep a minimum safe distance?

Missouri Parks cancelled a ride of ours due to flooding. Originally we were going to overnight at Big Lake State Park....Mo Parks refunded our reservations and told us to go anywhere else--as they suspect by September the land will still be flooded and or a swamp
Old 06-02-19, 09:59 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Would it be bad manners for me to ask you keep a minimum safe distance?

Missouri Parks cancelled a ride of ours due to flooding. Originally we were going to overnight at Big Lake State Park....Mo Parks refunded our reservations and told us to go anywhere else--as they suspect by September the land will still be flooded and or a swamp
The Oregon Coast should start preparing NOW!
Old 06-03-19, 04:30 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
The Oregon Coast should start preparing NOW!

When I was touring out west in '00 the Bitteroot Valley in MT and then Yellowstone experienced major fires not long after I passed through. My destination was Mesa Verde National Park. Was living in the park for five days with some friends who were interning there when the park caught fire. We had to evacuate into town, where the rest of the students were staying. Lost my tent in the fire.

In 2017, a couple of areas I rode through in MT caught fire a few weeks after I passed through.
Old 06-03-19, 08:11 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Which is why I tour alone. Someayouse guys are just bad luck. 😛😁😉