Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bottom Bracket question

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bottom Bracket question

Old 06-03-19, 11:57 AM
StodaD

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bottom Bracket question

Hi guys, im new to this forum and delighted to be part of it.

I have a question regarding my bottom bracket. I have a BB on my bike that is compatible for shimano dura ace gxp crankset. I got myself a quarq d zero gxp powermeter and sram chainrings and i assembled the rings together onto the quarq arms. That was fine.

However when trying to remove the cup of the bottom bracket of the shimano BB on the right hand side of the bike with the removal tool, the left cup rotates as well and cannot get that to stop rotating while i try to remove from the right hand side. I am turning it in a clockwise position (RHS cup) . The cup on the left hand side rotates as well and i dont have any other tool to stop this rotating while i try remove the bottom bracket off the bike. I want to install a sram BB which i have bought as there is a gap with the shimano BB on the bike if you install the quarq powermeter on it, whereas the sram BB is the correct fit size.

Any solutions for me to try out?

Thanks again.

StodaD
Old 06-03-19, 12:15 PM
BobFishell

Bikes: 1990 Klein Quantum, 1995 Klein Quantum Pro, 1997 Klein Pulse Comp, Cannondale 3.0 (junk box build - year unknown)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by StodaD View Post
Hi guys, im new to this forum and delighted to be part of it.

I have a question regarding my bottom bracket. I have a BB on my bike that is compatible for shimano dura ace gxp crankset. I got myself a quarq d zero gxp powermeter and sram chainrings and i assembled the rings together onto the quarq arms. That was fine.

However when trying to remove the cup of the bottom bracket of the shimano BB on the right hand side of the bike with the removal tool, the left cup rotates as well and cannot get that to stop rotating while i try to remove from the right hand side. I am turning it in a clockwise position (RHS cup) . The cup on the left hand side rotates as well and i dont have any other tool to stop this rotating while i try remove the bottom bracket off the bike. I want to install a sram BB which i have bought as there is a gap with the shimano BB on the bike if you install the quarq powermeter on it, whereas the sram BB is the correct fit size.

Any solutions for me to try out?

Thanks again.

StodaD
Can you use a flat screwdriver, hold the shank against the spindle, jam the blade into one of the splines? A picture would help.
Old 06-03-19, 02:50 PM
3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 226 Post(s)
Quoted: 14546 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 63 Posts
...if it were me, I'd just buy another Shimano BB tool for the other side, so you can use both of them at the same time. They're not real expensive.
Old 06-03-19, 05:28 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 23 Posts
The cups should only be connected by a plastic sleeve with some o-rings holding it together. There is no reason why you can't just keep turning the drive side and pull it out.

By the way - GXP is a SRAM thing. Shimano 24mm is called Hollowtech II and they are not compatible, as you have discovered.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 06-03-19, 06:49 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul View Post
The cups should only be connected by a plastic sleeve with some o-rings holding it together. There is no reason why you can't just keep turning the drive side and pull it out.

By the way - GXP is a SRAM thing. Shimano 24mm is called Hollowtech II and they are not compatible, as you have discovered.
Exactly, just keep turning the external cup until it comes out, then remove the other one
Old 06-04-19, 07:10 PM
StodaD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil View Post
Exactly, just keep turning the external cup until it comes out, then remove the other one
I find when i keep turning the drive side cup. The left one keeps turning too. I will take a photo and upload for you guys to see.
Old 06-05-19, 06:07 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 23 Posts
Definitely need some pics of what you are talking about. Both sides are threaded such that, if they are both turning at the same time, they are both unthreading. This is assuming that this is an english threaded bottom bracket, which is not clear from the information provided.
Old 06-05-19, 07:16 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
If they’re both turning and not extracting, that suggests there’s no thread engagement.
Old 06-05-19, 06:33 PM
StodaD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul View Post
Definitely need some pics of what you are talking about. Both sides are threaded such that, if they are both turning at the same time, they are both unthreading. This is assuming that this is an english threaded bottom bracket, which is not clear from the information provided.
Originally Posted by Road Fan View Post
If they’re both turning and not extracting, that suggests there’s no thread engagement.
I will try and get photos up but im not allowed at the moment as im new to this forum.