Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Surly's Way of Seat Tube Measurement

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-06-19, 01:03 PM
mtb_addict

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3013 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 27 Posts

Hi
I think I uncovered something worth noting.
Below is from Surly's website for the LHT.
Their "frame size" is from center of BB to the top of the top-tube.

This is not the standardized way of measurement.
One could have missed this minor difference and order one size too large or too small.

Old 06-06-19, 01:15 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 3585 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 115 Posts
That is the common method for showing "effective" seat tube length, here in the era of sloping top tubes. It would be nice if Surly were to point that out, though.

Though I guess so long as they provide reach/stack and standover, it all works out.

Meanwhile, my bikes have like 8" of seatpost showing because of sloping top tubes.
Old 06-06-19, 01:22 PM
mtb_addict

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3013 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
Though I guess so long as they provide reach/stack and standover, it all works out.

Meanwhile, my bikes have like 8" of seatpost showing because of sloping top tubes.
Yeah for sloping top tubes.

But the LHT is a flat top tube bike.
If I pick the right size LHT for me, the seat post would only show about 3cm.
And if I pick one size larger, the saddle would be slammed on the seat tube.

I like to pick larger size so I can get higher stack and compensate with shorter stem.

Last edited by mtb_addict; 06-06-19 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-06-19, 01:24 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 3585 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 115 Posts
I would think that too small/too large would be determined by stack/reach before seat tube length, unless you have wee little kickers. I have stick legs like a stick person, so I dunno.
Old 06-06-19, 01:28 PM
Kedosto
Ambulophobic

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 55 Posts
Considering frame sizes based on seat tube length died a long time ago. With modern frame design it's all about the effective top tube length and stack/reach dimensions. Heck, even when frame sizing was seat tube based, there was little consensus over where to measure point-to-point. Center of crank to center of top tube/seat tube junction? Center of crank to top of seat tube? Measuring from the top of the bottom bracket housing? Nobody agreed on a standard.

-Kedosto
Likes For Kedosto:
Old 06-06-19, 01:34 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
All that matters is the height from the seat to the centre of the BB. Things like seat stays or top tubes vary on frame design and aren't relevant to saddle height. Stand-over height depends not only on the type of bike but also the specification of any one example, so that should always be specified optionally.

So the relevant measurement for seat tube length is from the centre of the BB to the highest part of the seat tube - i.e. the part which stops the seat travelling any lower.

Surly have got it wrong.
Old 06-06-19, 03:15 PM
Kedosto
Ambulophobic

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 55 Posts
Kona still designates their frame sizes based on seat tube length -- even with sloping top tube frames. Imagine ordering a size 54 Sutra only to realize after delivery that the top tube is 57cm long? I doubt something like that happens a lot, but I think they'd be better off going with a S, M, L, XL scheme instead.

"Reach" only addresses a portion of the saddle-to-bars length and completely disregards the length associated with seat tube angle. Frame sizing is still pretty much a "buyer beware" situation.

-Kedosto
Old 06-06-19, 05:47 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 22 Posts
There are several different methods for measuring even traditional horizontal top tube bikes. This can lead to confusion about what a frame size is all about. Even then, top tube length can change the way a bike fits. With sloping top tube frames, most of that goes out the window, so you have to learn about such arcane fitting methods as reach and stack to get a good fit. Thank heavens that I own a couple of great well fitted bikes that I am content with for now. For Dave Moulton, Surly's frame measuring system is spot on.
Dave Moulton's Blog - Dave Moulton's Bike Blog - Measuring Frames
Old 06-06-19, 06:59 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
So what size do the Europeans call this, 5ins?!

Old 06-06-19, 08:10 PM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 6833 Post(s)
Liked 214 Times in 178 Posts
One way plumb line to BB.. divides reach & setback on either side of a horizontal line..

know the seat tube bb to top you can calculate the angle..
Old 06-06-19, 09:09 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '87 Schwinn Prelude, Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara/Centurion Ironman, '18 Diamondback Syncr, '18 handmade steel roadbike

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 2962 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict View Post
Hi
I think I uncovered something worth noting.
Below is from Surly's website for the LHT.
Their "frame size" is from center of BB to the top of the top-tube.

This is not the standardized way of measurement.
One could have missed this minor difference and order one size too large or too small.

C to T is really common. The other was/is C to C.

Neither was right or wrong. It differed based on brands and areas of manufacture.

Sure, one could have missed what you mention...but then they didn't try very hard to find the frame that fits since Surly lists complete frame geometry, of which seat tube length is but a minor part.

How do you want them to measure it?
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 06-08-19, 09:58 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Pink Klein MTB, Phil Wood VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1177 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 29 Posts
Are you buying a Surly or is this just another I just want to complain about companies that aren't my Magna or Huffy or whatever you have. In the span of a month I have bought 3 frames in the span of 2 years you have done nothing. The old phrase poop or get off the pot always reigns true for you.

Now I am not saying one should buy 3 frames in that span (or that they need to buy them all at once) but the Salsa Timberjack Ti was planned for a year and I have all the parts, the vintage Proteus road frame (with Tange Prestige tubing and Campy dropouts) was going to be turned into a cheap single speed so I had to save it (and happen to have almost enough bits to make a complete bike without having to spend much more than the initial $200) and the Specialized Sequoia Pro Module was at such a deal I couldn't with all good conscious let that go. Luckily though I am planning on the Sequoia for a good fall/winter project or maybe something for next year and have a few people interested in a bike I am selling so will recover most of the money from buy of the Proteus and Sequoia and hopefully will sell another bike as well and make a little more.

For those interested some manufacturers measure CTC some to CTT either way you still want to test ride a bike if you can especially if you are unsure about geometry but also ride quality. I test rode the Sequoia a bunch and that is why I got it, I really really liked it almost instantly. Surly makes some excellent bikes that may not be flashy or blingy but super durable and reliable and excellent platforms to get started cycling. My first bike I purchased was a Disc Trucker and I loved it.
Old 06-08-19, 10:39 PM
Kapusta
Cyclochondriac

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 38 Posts
If you choose your size based on seat tube length, you are doing it wrong, anyway.
Old 06-09-19, 06:19 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
One way plumb line to BB.. divides reach & setback on either side of a horizontal line..

This suggests a new critical point - one can focus on reach, but you also need to understand how far behind the BB the saddle can be placed. This is limited by seat tube angle, setback of available seatposts, and saddle rail design. Ultimately this is a point where frame fitting puts limits on frame sizing. Two frames of identical stack and reach might fit totally differently, and some might not be acceptable.

Perfect reach from the BB does not help you if you cannot place the saddle to satisfy your natural pedaling geometry or get good weight distribution. And the top tube length or ETT of a perfect-fitting bike does not by itself determine that another bike with the same spec will fit as well, or at all.
Old 06-09-19, 06:25 AM
Kapusta
Cyclochondriac

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post

Or just use the reach and seat tube angle numbers they list on their website.
Old 06-09-19, 07:32 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I don't see what's wrong with measuring to the top of the TT.

Surly's are the STUPIDEST fitting bike ever made, seriously. Plus 90% of their buyers are also when fitting. Pffft
The TT is a cm longer, the TT is level, 100 mm stem and they have a setback seat post.
All of this screams made to use a comfort bar, but NO they mostly have drops.
So the customer gets on and cries, I CAN'T REACH, WHaaaa. LOL So then they get a size or TWO smaller, heaven forbid they do the SENSIBLE thing like switch in a 80 cm stem maybe with rise too. The 2 cm lower front actually makes the reach FARTHER, but nobody seems to figure that out. WTF. So the average Surly goes home with 4+" seat post and 3" giraffe steerer..... For a PERFECT fit. hahahahahaha

A month ago I found on CGOAB a 6'3" old guy riding a brand new 56 cm. LOL 6" seat post and 4"+ steerer. He also had a blurry 6 sec YT video. I called him a Moron. LOL... Then 6 days into his TransAm trip westward in PA, his crummy derailleur snapped into his spokes. Awwww

I'm 5'8" and have ridden 4 slammed seat 23"/ 58cm bikes, but none with drops. They have 35,000 miles total.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 06-09-19 at 07:47 PM.