Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Are the best days of fixie/SS behind us?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Are the best days of fixie/SS behind us?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-24, 01:55 AM
Kiwisaver

Bikes: Fisher Celerity, Reid 1x7 City Bike, Viva fixed gear, 93 Avanti

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Being an older thread coupled with being a newbie I feel I may have a different perspective. In and around 2004 or 05 I was introduced to fg by an odd guy at an lbs. I'd never seen or ridden a fg and found myself intrigued.

So, I did my due diligence and discovered the general consensus was 'bike boom' bikes made the best, most consistent conversions. Found one at a garage sale. Stripped it and got a 46t Rocket Ring, 1/8" chain, 16t freewheel and built myself a ss. Having already learned how to re-dish a wheel it was pretty straight ahead.

Fg was a little more involved as I had to obtain a flip-flop hub. Other than that everything else was similar except the actual riding. Adjusting to fg took a bit, but as an experienced cyclist the time it took was pretty fluid. The main thing is that riding fixed is just one of many cycling disciplines I enjoy. Having gotten into it by chance I believe I was already far into it before it became any kind of hipster connection.

It's not my opinion the best days of fg are behind us. They're as relevant today as they were back in the day. My bike collection includes a rb, off rb, fg, ss, touring, utility and a tandem. Riding fg is usually my 1st choice, but lately I built a ss I find it to be my 1st choice. Prolly because it's my latest build and it turned out real well.

Fg around 2010ish

This is my latest. It's a Pac'Rim utility/fun ss that's my current favorite. Circa 2024.

Last edited by Kiwisaver; 05-07-24 at 02:08 AM.
Likes For Kiwisaver:
Old 05-13-24, 10:07 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,093 Posts
I was a cyclist in Indianapolis when Nelson Vails and Mark Gorski were racing at the Major Taylor Velodrome on the west side, and the fixie scene exploded. The cool kids were walking around wearing Lycra, with flabby calves and no tan lines.

Meanwhile we could go watch the Jamaican National team, the Canadian national team, Nelson and Mark, Connie Young, and Curt Harnett put on a world class cycling show for about $12 on a Friday night.

Chasing cool usually means missing out on the substance.