Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Mirror vs. Glance over your shoulder

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Mirror vs. Glance over your shoulder

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-10, 09:49 AM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chewybrian
I've ridden clear off the road before because I could see that a car coming up behind me was not leaving much room. Maybe they could have squeezed by, maybe not. But, you can't understand me wanting to know that a car is approaching me from behind, and if they appear ready to leave me room to stay alive or not? You can't see that just maybe, his friends could have seen the truck, not just heard it, and gotten out of the way in time?

Listening and then looking over your shoulder often leads to drifting out at exactly the wrong moment, at least for some, myself included. Looking in the mirror, you can usually tell that most cars are slowing down and/or going around, so there is no need to react. But, if not, it puts you on guard, you get over, and prepare to bail, or give a "hand signal" if necessary.

I won't say you're wrong for not using a mirror if you don't want to use one. But, it's hard to imagine you can't see any possible benefit to someone else.
Also, looking over your shoulder isn't as fast or as easy as a quick look in a mirror. So without a mirror, you are likely to look less often.
Old 07-11-10, 09:50 AM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
I have to have a mirror when cycling on the road, no way around it.
Old 07-11-10, 01:09 PM
Chris_F
World's slowest cyclist.

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD5 and Cannondale Rush

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Accordion
I don't really understand the need for a mirror. You said your friends were hit from behind by a truck. What good would a mirror have been?
Yeah, I don't use a mirror with any expectation of being able to avoid a rear-ending. I use it because it allows me to ride further in to the lane when nobody is behind me and then move over for traffic. I can ride two abreast and keep an eye out for traffic the whole time so that I don't become one of those cyclists who hold up traffic. I can also keep an eye back when I'm coming up on a left turn so that I can simply make a quick rearward glance before the turn. A mirror just gives me a generally better situational awareness. You can see oncoming traffic out of the corner of your eye so you know they're coming before you can hear them. I also lead a lot of rides so I can keep an eye on the riders behind me so that nobody gets dropped.
Old 07-11-10, 01:17 PM
vw addict

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, Cannondale R700, Specialized Langster, Iron Horse Hollowpoint Team, Schwinn Homegrown

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like glancing over my shoulder which is made easier by riding glasses with no lower frame
Old 07-11-10, 01:18 PM
Atol

Bikes: CAAD9-6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wasn't there a mirror you could attach to the bar ends? I remember someone posting that he saw Dave Zabriskie with one.
Old 07-11-10, 01:31 PM
JoeB14
Huffin' N Puffin

Bikes: Anderson Custom Steel, Trek Madone 5.5, Lightspeed Classic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sherbornpeddler
I like this as well.
Convex, everything appears much further away but it is easy to adjust and I find it more convenient over glass and helmet mounted tangles and bumping.
I just came back from a week in Vermont, where the roads don't have the wide shoulders where I live. I bought this mirror before my trip, and loved it. I'll be picking up one for bike #2 tomorrow.
Old 07-11-10, 02:54 PM
Sylv
Philly Fanatic

Bikes: 2010 Tarmac Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I look over my shoulder. If someone slaughters me I have a good life insurance policy my wife will cash in on. I don't have to wear some annoying mirror attached to my helmet, she potentially gets rich. Win/win?
Old 07-11-10, 03:00 PM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I need to be able to know first of all if someone is coming and secondly if they are changing lane position for me. The part about knowing that they're coming to begin with can't be done without a mirror when you listen to music.
Old 07-11-10, 03:24 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by daredevil
I need to be able to know first of all if someone is coming and secondly if they are changing lane position for me. The part about knowing that they're coming to begin with can't be done without a mirror when you listen to music.
Cue the music police
Old 07-11-10, 03:50 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
I got a helmet mirror and I'm a big fan. I feel naked without it. When I'm on the bike, I adjust it so the strap of my helmet is on the very edge of the field of vision, and my shoulder is at the very bottom. Then I move my head about ten or fifteen degrees to the left and get a full view of what's behind me. If I need to I can adjust the field of vision with a small head movement.

When I first started with it, I spent too much time looking at it; it was very distracting. Now it's just part of my view. The only downside is that if I don't scan by moving my head a bit, I have a blind spot off to my left. Knowing that, I make sure I move my head around regularly.

I never did get the hang of checking over the shoulder. With the mirror, though, I look to see what's there, then use a head check just to confirm what I think I saw. It's a good system for me.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 07-11-10, 04:06 PM
Guillotine007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
pedal faster: cars won't catch you

/thread
Old 07-11-10, 04:14 PM
Sylv
Philly Fanatic

Bikes: 2010 Tarmac Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Guillotine007
pedal faster: cars won't catch you

/thread
She will.
Old 07-11-10, 04:19 PM
snowman40

Bikes: Fuji

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried mirrors on my handlebar as a kid on my mountain bikes (at my mom's request) and found myself looking at it more than where I was going. The final straw was getting blinded by the sun and crashing.

No mirrors for me.

But you do what you want.

Edit - I forgot, I only look if I hear something, just to make sure it is where I think it is. If it sounds to close, I won't look as I start to move over to get away from the noise. If I'm approaching a construction zone, I'll coast and turn just about all the way around to see where everything is. When I have headsets in both ears, I check more frequently.

Last edited by snowman40; 07-11-10 at 04:24 PM. Reason: I forgot something...
Old 07-11-10, 04:51 PM
Eclectus

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpy, Schwinn 974

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear a glasses-mounted mirror all the time. When I was young, and the neck was limber, no need. It's mostly a great tool for old fogies, with limited range of motion.

No mirror or turn-your-head-around will stop a wayward driver from nailing you from behind. That's where a great taillight, like DiNotte or probably MagicShine will be of good use, something strobing really bright that gets drivers' attention well before they are close to your a**. (I'm speaking of sunny daytime, there are many great lights for nighttime.) I was talking to a lady rider today who won't venture to certain places, having heard stories of car-bike crashes this spring. I dunno, been riding on the road since 1963. In LA rush hour.

I used to be really fast, now I'm really slow. I think alerting drivers. "I am here, go around me," is of premium value. Then I can listen to my iPod, both ears plugged in and not worry about the vehicles behind me. The frontal ones (crossroads, driveways, parking lot exiters, I watch really closely sometimes going to the left lane if the ones coming from my right aren't looking my way). Also get ready to brake. You can't always ride full speed. You live with that reality.
Old 07-11-10, 05:06 PM
squeege

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbon Unit
I will not ride without a mirror because it is easier to look in the mirror than it is to turn look over my shoulder, I will do it more often. It only needs to keep me from an accident once to justify havin it.

As far as types of mirrors, a helmet or eye glasses mirror has an advantage over the a handlerbar mounted mirror. A handlebar mirror will provide a fixed view backwards. It may not show you want you want to see. With a helmet or glasses mounted mirror, you can move your head slightly to the right or left and get a wider view.

I ride with this mirror and it works very well:

https://www.amazon.com/Bike-Peddler-C.../dp/B001VTQNVO
+1 on this mirror - I use it as well and mount mine to the visor on my helmet, rather than on my glasses. Like it a lot. Allows me to watch the road in front while making sure cars coming from behind are starting their move left as they approach.
Old 07-11-10, 05:07 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
I got a helmet mirror and I'm a big fan. I feel naked without it. When I'm on the bike, I adjust it so the strap of my helmet is on the very edge of the field of vision, and my shoulder is at the very bottom. Then I move my head about ten or fifteen degrees to the left and get a full view of what's behind me. If I need to I can adjust the field of vision with a small head movement.

When I first started with it, I spent too much time looking at it; it was very distracting. Now it's just part of my view. The only downside is that if I don't scan by moving my head a bit, I have a blind spot off to my left. Knowing that, I make sure I move my head around regularly.

I never did get the hang of checking over the shoulder. With the mirror, though, I look to see what's there, then use a head check just to confirm what I think I saw. It's a good system for me.
Thanks doohickie! you saved me all thay typing! this is exactly how I do it also, works great.
Old 07-11-10, 05:08 PM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sylv
I look over my shoulder. If someone slaughters me I have a good life insurance policy my wife will cash in on. I don't have to wear some annoying mirror attached to my helmet, she potentially gets rich. Win/win?
I'm with you. I ride with no mirror, ipod at max volume and big insurance policy.
Old 07-11-10, 05:49 PM
bikeideas

Bikes: Trek Elite 9.8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a sunglass-mount mirror that I made AND look over my shoulder often (though I can't hold a straight line no matter how hard I try... and I really try) AND I listen for cars (I'd prefer to wear my iPod but figure I need the third element of safety).

Old 07-11-10, 05:50 PM
Guillotine007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GP
I'm with you. I ride with no mirror, ipod at max volume and big insurance policy.
I also go with the no mirror, ipod at max, no helmet huge insurance policy also. I've one upped you though because the recipient of the big payout is actually my clone I keep cryogenically frozen. So if I get killed on my bike, they are putting my brain into the new body where I am 16 years old. I get to do high school all over again with a ton of cash!!!

Last edited by Guillotine007; 07-11-10 at 09:35 PM. Reason: f'ing autospell correction on iPhone screwed me
Old 07-11-10, 05:57 PM
mobike_moexcite
Banned.

Bikes: Fuji Team 09, Schwinn Paramount 91, Fuji Discovery 90's

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Over the shoulder, took a while but eventually with practice you can keep that straight line too. I can see how it could help a lot of people out so if you want to try it we can't stop you.
Old 07-11-10, 06:07 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,522 Times in 2,862 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
Some consider a mirror a sign of weakness. I wear omnivision contacts, and my left eye is near vision, which means if I look back I don't really see anything. A mirror fixes that. My neck is also stiff.

So for me, it's the mirror.
I also have that type of lens.
I've found myself closing the left eye when looking back for better focus, which of course reduces the field of view.
I'm happy with my Sprintech mirror: https://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...r.aspx?sc=FRGL
It is especially useful when descending at 45+mph and needing to get into the left turn lane, on my regular training ride.
I take quick glances in the mirror until it looks like the lane is open, then look back to be sure, prior to changing lanes.
Old 07-11-10, 06:13 PM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Guillotine007
I also go with the no mirror, ipod at max, no helmet huge insurance policy also. I've one upped you though because the recipient of the big payout is actually my close I keep cryogenically frozen. So if I get killed on my bike, they are putting my brain into the new body where I am 16 years old. I get to do high school all over again with a ton of cash!!!
Thanks for crushing my soul.
Old 07-11-10, 06:27 PM
BikeWise1
30 YR Wrench

Bikes: Waterford R-33, Madone 6.5, Trek 520

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
There's no way I am going to place my safety in the hands of what is likely a distracted driver who may or may not see me.

I use one of chuck Harris' funky helmet mirrors. Situational awareness is where it's at. Besides with states cutting back, roads are getting worse and I need to look where I'm going while still being aware of what's going on behind me.

A sign of weakness? Please- that's pure macho BS.
Old 07-11-10, 06:37 PM
Glidedon

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I use a eyeglass mirror to monitor traffic behind me, If i see that the car is not yielding me some room, I assume they don't see me and then I look over my shoulder and drift to the left until I see them make some maneuver indicating they see me. This just applies in the rural areas I normally ride in.

Last edited by Glidedon; 07-11-10 at 06:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-11-10, 06:56 PM
LAriverRat

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
No mirror, i am part owl.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.