Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Yeah This NOob Is Addicted till Death comes a Knockin !

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-13, 07:17 AM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts

My 1st real NOob Mistake that I will NOT make again !!

I was bookin In the flats, real twisty thru the palmetto's, 'Sasquatch',,,, I was standin on the pedals hangin turns and spinning on the straights. Ready to enter a switch back, started with a left, left pedal was at the 5pm pos... BAM ! a palmetto stump right in the crank arm....

The crank arm, the bike frame, the seat post was all a baseball bat aimed right at my left 'Sit Bone',, ok my ass cheek. Full suspension would have done nothing for me.
The pain shot right up my spine as the bike jumped up and shot sideways... I did not crash, just skidded into the scrubs sideways.
I was ok and riding on in a few minutes.

I need more saddle time....

Last edited by osco53; 11-29-16 at 06:30 AM.
Old 05-20-13, 05:58 AM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Welcome to mountain biking!
When I first started, my friend, a very experienced MTBer said "If you don't draw some blood, it wasn't a good ride". Don't know if I agree with that, but tis true the harder you push, the easier it is to make a minor mistake that sends you into the bush. As long as you and the bike are OK, that's part of the fun of the sport.
Unlike road biking, there's no time to think about your problems from work or from home when you're MTBing. Let your mind wander and BANG, that tree or rock jumps out and grabs you.
Old 05-20-13, 09:04 PM
dexmax
road siklista

Bikes: Custom Knolly Chilcotin Limited Edition Orange, Dartmoor Wish, KHS 7500, Custom built Specialized Camber, S-Works Road, Cannondale Trail mtb, Polini MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roccobike
Welcome to mountain biking!
Unlike road biking, there's no time to think about your problems from work or from home when you're MTBing. Let your mind wander and BANG, that tree or rock jumps out and grabs you.
Very well said sir.. as a Roadie for most of my cycling days, I agree with you..
Although you need to be alert on the roadbike, especially in a peloton and anticipating movement of the riders around you; for the most part a roadbike rider mostly pays much attention to hydration, fatigue levels, distance, how many climbs more, etc., we do not put much attention into the terrain and road condition, because it is paved and almost at the same condition from start to end.
Because of this, my mind tends to stray and I think about other things...

In MTBing, absolutely no time to do that, unless you're riding through a road..
Old 05-21-13, 03:50 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Great balancing act Osco! Not every ride turns out that well. Glad you are excited. It is a kick, ain't it?

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.