Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Disc brake conversion kits

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-13, 09:53 PM
bres dad

Bikes: '84 Paramount, '89 Schwinn 754, '13 Specialized RockHopper, Trek Domane 4.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

I've been in the process of rebuilding/refurbing my 15 year old mountain bike ('98 Schwinn Moab 2). I'm not really interested in sinking a bunch of money into upgrading or replacing my bike but saw this online and thought it might be an interesting upgrade. Anyone have any experience or thoughts on converting a bike from standard V brakes to disc?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/261131200507...84.m1423.l2649
Old 09-08-13, 11:41 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
Seems like a bad idea to me. Disc brakes put a lot stress on your front fork and disk forks are built to take it. Plus I think I'd rather have a good set of v-brakes than a no-name set of mechanical disk calipers. Plus the cheapo no-name hubs that the kit comes with. There are other kits out there that will allow you to run any disc caliper you want on the rear of your bike but it really isn't worth the investment IMO. My old spare bike is rocking a disk brake up front and v-brake in the rear for that reason.
Old 09-09-13, 12:27 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Have you researched the spoke lengths needed for the replacement hubs? can you build wheels? can you get get replacement pads for the calipers? Looking a the conversion kit, it's has very low end parts, the instructions not that it has 28/36 hole hubs (guessing you probably have 32H hubs), but misses measuring the spoke length which is different for every rim/hub combination.

For the stresses that #canker mentions, would be more concerned about fitting the adapters to the bike, the front is designed for a rigid fork, stock your Moab has RS Judys (which may already have a mount, but are far too big in leg diameter for the adapter to fit), not seeing the rear as just an issue, but it all depends on how it fit s the frame (still looks ugly,a and personally wouldn't touch one).

Would also go with sticking with v-brakes for your bike, as a far better option that the conversion, if you really wanted to convert your frame for a limited budget, would look at a good set of 2nd disc wheels, and A2Z adapters (if they fit), these are better, although none are as good as just getting a frame/forks designed for discs in the first place.
Old 09-09-13, 05:19 AM
bres dad

Bikes: '84 Paramount, '89 Schwinn 754, '13 Specialized RockHopper, Trek Domane 4.3

I figured this would be a waste and probably not as good as what's on the bike now. I'll pass on this and stick with what is already on the bike.
Old 09-09-13, 11:28 AM
ed 

Bikes: Hecklah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I still have a bike with crappy Tektro linear pull brakes. They work fine. Not anywhere as nice as my Elixir's, but they get me stopped. I've never crashed because of them.
Old 09-09-13, 01:19 PM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
It's a bit Rube Goldberg but definite points for inventiveness.
Old 09-10-13, 05:33 AM
bres dad

As noted, I've nixed the cheap Hong Kong kit but I am interested in seeing if this can be done. Getting/building a disc compatible rear wheel isn't a big deal, actually some listed on CL relatively cheap. I didn't see anything on the A2Z site that looked like it would work to retrofit an older frame like mine but found some kits online & on ebay (NOT from China) that would mount by the axle & attach to the rear brake mount. Basically I need this or to mount the caliper on my frame, yes?

https://shop.therapycomponents.com/im...185803954.jpeg
Old 09-10-13, 10:00 PM
dexmax
road siklista

Bikes: Custom Knolly Chilcotin Limited Edition Orange, Dartmoor Wish, KHS 7500, Custom built Specialized Camber, S-Works Road, Cannondale Trail mtb, Polini MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did this to a 2012 Cannondale frame.

using and a2z disk brake adapter