Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Casual MTB rider, any recommendations for a kinder seat...

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-14, 05:33 PM
gtplus2

Bikes: MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Casual MTB rider, any recommendations for a kinder seat... Had an original seat my bike came with, changed it out for a bike planet gel w/cutout releif, after 30 min. in a daily one hour ride in our park, comfort is gone! Seen alot out there... serfas, cld9, etc. My seat 11.25L x 6", will a wider seat help?! Sore bum in Vegas...
Old 06-24-14, 08:20 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
A wider seat will only help if a wider seat will fit. Measure your sit bones and shop saddles accordingly.
Old 06-25-14, 05:47 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
And I want a map to the Lost Dutchman Gold Mine!

I have more extra saddles than any other part in the garage. I personally like my WTB VIGO that I won't ever part with. What no1mad said is important. Spend the money getting a seat right the first time. Or gather up half a dozen experiments. That costs more than I ever thought I would spend.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 06-25-14, 05:53 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Hey wait a minute-SORE BUM IN VEGAS? Mine gets sore in Henderson. Congrats on riding in this heat. HENDERSONRIDES is sponsoring some night rides on the McCullough Trail behind Henderson. You have to have a good light setup to go. Riding at night is pretty nice. But that is also when the Rattlesnakes like to wander around.

They don't share the trail well.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 06-25-14, 06:13 PM
likebike23
Rides Majestic

Bikes: 1983 Univega Gran Turismo, 1970 Schwinn Super Sport, 2001 Univega Modo Vincere, Self-Built Nashbar Touring, 1974 Peugeot U08, 1974 Atala Grand Prix, 1986 Ross Mt. Hood, 80's Maruishi MT-18

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I'm lucky in that I'm not too picky when it comes to saddles. I've found that 6" wide saddles work best and I ride with shorts that have a chamois pad. Find your correct width, make sure to place your ischial tuberoities (sit bones) on the widest part of the saddle, and try to unweight your behind when going over rough terrain (stand slightly on pedals and hover over seat). Also, your butt is like any other part of your body, it will toughen to adapt to the stress placed on it. Look at the way a black belt can kick the bag, the first time they did it their feet and shins were killing them.
Old 06-25-14, 06:31 PM
Zephyr11
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Forget the wide saddle, go to a shop that'll let you try out a few, and find one that fits. Specialized BG saddles come in 3 widths, for example. Then invest in a good pair of shorts with a good chamois, and ride more, eventually your butt will get used to it.
Old 06-25-14, 07:58 PM
offrdmania
Fricklefrack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have your seat bone measured. i always ran 155mm saddles and it turns out my measurement is 143mm. Switching to 143 has been night and day. Also, make sure your saddle is completely flat, as in horizontal. Seat post height will make a huge difference as well. Seat post should be at the height so that as the peddle is at its lowest and your foot is flat on it then your knee should just barely be bent. If your seat post is too low that it will make your saddle very uncomfortable. They arent designed for that position.
Old 06-25-14, 09:23 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Brooks Flyer - B 17 shape with springs. The Conquest used to be MTB oriented but its no longer available.

The B 67 is more of a touring cut.

I personally like a leather saddle with springs. They absorb the shocks of rough roads and trails and mitigate the stress on one's back. And leather conforms to the shape of one's behind while seated when riding the bike.
Old 06-25-14, 09:33 PM
gtplus2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alot of good info here, Thanks to all! I will post back with the decision I will make. Thankyou again!
Old 06-26-14, 03:40 AM
dexmax
road siklista

Bikes: Custom Knolly Chilcotin Limited Edition Orange, Dartmoor Wish, KHS 7500, Custom built Specialized Camber, S-Works Road, Cannondale Trail mtb, Polini MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I weigh over 200lbs and I love the Specialized BG Saddles. These saddles are cheaper.
I recently switched to WTB Sliverado SLT (Titanium) and it feels better and a lot lighter at 190grams. The downside is the pricetag.

Saddles are very personal, I have gone through a lot of saddles. There are bikeshops that let you try saddles out. Try to find one in your area, I'm sure they will be happy to help you out.

Good Luck!
Old 06-29-14, 02:32 PM
gtplus2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I said I would repost when I had made a decision... well I have, I bought a Selle Royal Respiro "relaxed" at this point I have ridden it three times, not sqisshy soft or overly firm. I LOVE the built in air channel, keeps the junk in the trunk very comfortable! This is an Italian seat and comes in several sizes and configurations. This make and model is easily found just by doing a google search. So far so good, comes with the standard under seat rails and mounted to original post my mtb came with in just minutes.
Old 06-29-14, 02:40 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by dexmax
I weigh over 200lbs and I love the Specialized BG Saddles. These saddles are cheaper.
I recently switched to WTB Sliverado SLT (Titanium) and it feels better and a lot lighter at 190grams. The downside is the pricetag.

Saddles are very personal, I have gone through a lot of saddles. There are bikeshops that let you try saddles out. Try to find one in your area, I'm sure they will be happy to help you out.

Good Luck!
I need to keep that in mind. MY ATF MTB saddle is the Specialized BG. I actually like the basic, OEM saddles that Specialized used on their new bikes from around 2005 to 2008. I might have to look at that model WTB you're using.
Old 06-30-14, 12:41 AM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by NormanF
Brooks Flyer - B 17 shape with springs . . . .
Friggin' boat anchors. For cruiser bikes and tourers - - not for MTB.