Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Reaming from 27 to 27.2?

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Reaming from 27 to 27.2?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-23, 01:36 PM
The_Joe

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 26 Posts
Reaming from 27 to 27.2?

I bought a vintage frame that I thought was Columbus SL. It won't easily take a 27.2 post so I'm thinking it may be the beefier SP. Now, it's only a 55cm frame and I'm barely 160lbs. Knowing that SP is just a slightly thicker walled.version of SL, would.it be terribly unwise to try and hone/ream it larger?
My eyes think maybe it's a bit pinched. Cheap calipers show it a bit over 27 but not 27.2. A 27 seatpost feels sloppy. I figure on a 40 year old I should probably run a flex hone down there anyway just to make sure it's clean.

So, if it were SP and I decided to ream it out .2mm wouldn't that just bring to the safe thickness of SL? Crazy?
Old 12-21-23, 02:44 PM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
It's most likely SL, with the tube pinched in at the top. I'd use a reamer to clean it up. Not a dingoball hone. And if it is SP, a reamer will easily open it up to 27.2. The metal is pretty soft.
Old 12-21-23, 05:19 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4209 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
The concern is where is the seat tube/lug deformed (presumably where will the reamer take material off at) and how thick a wall is there at that spot. What I might do is to run an adjustable reamer in the seat tube expanding it till it just begins to nick off some tube. See where this first contact is WRT the tube's walls below the lug and make a judgement of post fit size against wall thickness.

I suggest chamfering the binder slot's interior edges to reduce their catching on a reamer blade. Flex honing won't remove much material compared to a reamer. An interesting data point can be found sometimes with this adjustable reamer set to just touch method as one can slide the reamer deeper into the seat tube and past the seat binder/lug area. Then one really begins to see what their seat tube might be ID wise before the brazing.

I agree with Nessism in the tube likely being SL. Andy
Old 12-21-23, 05:59 PM
The_Joe

Thank you both! Very informative.
Old 12-21-23, 06:05 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
You can get a telescoping gauge and check the dimension at various radial directions. It could well be pinched. I would try to fix that first. Can't fix it without measuring.

I suggest finding a Starrett 579C used somewhere. I bought a cheap set on amazon and regret it.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 12-21-23, 06:26 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,076 Posts
I strongly suggest trying to remove as little metal as possible. On a frame where the ears have been bent in from mounting a too-small post, you need to gently bend the ears outward befor reaming. I like to bend them just enough that the reamer isn't touching there, or touches barely. After doing that, you may find that the reamer has very little metal to remove elsewhere.

Another advantage of bending the ears out is it can prevent the known issue of the reamer blade catching in the slit. That problem can also be avoided by using a spiral aka helical reamer, but those are more expensive and hard to find in an adjustable reamer. Most bike shops and home-mechanics, if they have a reamer, it'll be a straight-blade style, that tends to hang up in the slit unless you deal with it one way or another.
Likes For bulgie:
Old 12-22-23, 07:31 AM
Mark Beaver
semi-retired framebuilder

Bikes: twenty-three at last count

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 14 Posts
I’ve had pretty good luck spreading the ears of a seat lug that’s been compressed by folks using a too-small seatpost; by using a 1 1/8” ie 25.4 diameter quill stem, strategically locating it where the metal needs to be bent out, tighten stem, relocate slightly, repeat repeat. Works well if you’re careful.

Mark Beaver
Halifax, NS, Canada
Likes For Mark Beaver:
Old 12-22-23, 08:29 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart

I suggest chamfering the binder slot's interior edges to reduce their catching on a reamer blade.
So obvious...now that you've told me!

I'm on the verge of opening a 22mm Peugeot to 22.2 and did not/could not figure out how to manage the binder slot.
Old 12-30-23, 04:33 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
I purchased a 51 year old Colnago in a 49 cm size and it had a 27.0 post, I really doubted it was SP. measured below the joinery and corrected it with a reamer. I did have to open up the lug ears a wee bit.

in 1975 I ordered a track bike with PS tubing, bought all the parts I would require including a 27.0 seatpost… “we reamed it out to 27.2 for you” Grumble.
Old 12-30-23, 06:14 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 412 Posts
Rather than ream out the frame, I would machine the 27.2 seat post down until it fits properly. Seat posts are more easily replaceable than frames.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 01-01-24, 09:54 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,883 Times in 1,084 Posts

the seat tube on this frame was reamed from 26.6 to 26.8 (to accommodate greater selection of seat posts)

frame builder did this - been a while but I believe he did first check / determine there would be little / no chance of increased failure due to the change … the bike had a number of years use after this (no issues)

this frame 26.6 seat tube id - the next year the similar frame seat tube id was 26.8

have a road bike with Columbus SL / SP (seat) tube mix - can’t recall seat tube id - and if was reamed to 27.2 if it was 27.0 … (curious - will need to check)

Last edited by t2p; 01-01-24 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-01-24, 08:07 PM
The_Joe

Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
Rather than ream out the frame, I would machine the 27.2 seat post down until it fits properly. Seat posts are more easily replaceable than frames.
I'm actually using a vintage Shimano seat post in very good condition so I'd rather not turn that down, as silly as.it sounds.

Either way, I was able to open the ears a bit and run a quick cylinder hone to clean up some gunk. 27.2 fits perfectly now.
Likes For The_Joe: