Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Painting frame

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Painting frame

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-24, 05:31 PM
Nothx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Painting frame

Looking for a good brand of primer, paint and sealant for my frame. Also wondereing if I fully need the primer and sealan, still going to do it the proper way but just in case I'm ever on a budget.
Old 02-19-24, 08:56 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4209 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
How are you applying the paint? Roller, brush, rattle can, pro compressor fed gun?

Generally when on a budget one has to compromise something and with paint that might be the finish "quality". Long ago I painted a couple of frames with a brush using a marine intended epoxy paint. Rattle can clear over the decals. I painted my lathe a few winters ago with Sherwin Williams industrial machine paint with a brush. If you use a good brush and reduce the paint properly the strokes blend into each other well. I have used Rustoleum brush on paint for many smaller projects and found that to work well and if left to harden is pretty tough for so cheap a paint. Andy
Old 02-20-24, 12:52 AM
Nothx

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Andy I will try them. I was initially using acrylic paint with a brush. But I'll definitely change it. Might use a spray can to make it easier on me.
Old 02-20-24, 07:59 AM
Breadfan

Bikes: Niner RLT 9, 1972 Nishiki Road Compe, Jamis Renegade, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 39 Posts
Something we need on this forum is a frame painting and parts restoring section. There are a couple groups on FB but all the answers quickly get buried. I think it would be popular if we had one here.
Old 02-20-24, 05:43 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
paint availability depends on where you live

durability is 100% dependent on the materials used and prep done.

Rattle can (from ace, home depot, auto stores) can give a beautiful finish, but it is not as durable as automotive paint (also not as toxic), I really can't make a call on durability of brush on paint, but assume it is less than automotive paint

it also will be more expensive than you think to do a good job I generally suggest people look into powder coating

I did a lot of research a while back on this and have painted 2 frames, one rattle can and one automotive paint

Process is same:
  • have a good respirator/filter mask
  • Start with frame with notpaint ever or all previous paint removed (removing paint is a pain, lots of time and stripper)
  • mask all places you don't want paint
  • wipe frame with pre paint cleaner or acetone, handle only with fresh gloves after this
  • acid etch primer (assuming steel frame)
  • Sandable primer
  • Sand
  • use tack cloth
  • 3 coats color following dry time between coats
  • 2 coats clear
let site for month or so before building

Old 02-20-24, 06:03 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Originally Posted by Nothx
Thanks Andy I will try them. I was initially using acrylic paint with a brush. But I'll definitely change it. Might use a spray can to make it easier on me.
Depending on what you have should be considered when looking into paint options. Since this post was made in the frame builders forum, I assumed it was going to be about getting a frame painted that you were building. But it appears you are just wanting to do a repaint. Even then you should consider what you have and what kind of results you want.

I'm repainting an old Carabela I bought for 10 bucks for parts. The bike kinda grew on me so I'm going about rebuilding it. Never in a hundred years will this bike be worth it to me to PC, but I like to putter around so the labor in this isn't going to kill me. Because the rust was so bad, I took all the paint off to get to bare metal. I got some pretty good primer and paint at Lowes and even though it cost more than I paid for the bike it wasn't too expensive.

I let it set a couple of weeks after priming.

After a couple of days I'll touch up a couple of spots or maybe even give it a second coat, then after a couple of more weeks, I'll spray a coat of clear and then buff it out. I think from 10 foot away it will be good enough for me and for what it is and I'd maybe even get decals for it if they existed.

Likes For Chuck M: