Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Loctite threadlocker

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Loctite threadlocker

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-19, 07:55 AM
iamLefty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Loctite threadlocker

Is this necessary on removable valve cores? Tightening it with valve core tool good enough?
Old 09-06-19, 07:56 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Not necessary.
Old 09-06-19, 08:16 AM
iamLefty

Originally Posted by tagaproject6
Not necessary.
Uy from qc. Thanks paps.
Old 09-06-19, 08:30 AM
AndreyT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by iamLefty
Is this necessary on removable valve cores? Tightening it with valve core tool good enough?
It is not necessary. However, if you'll ever have to use a threaded CO2 inflator on such a valve, remember that the inflator thread will freeze itself to the core thread during the inflation process. If you attempt to unscrew the inflator immediately afterwards (while it is still frozen), it will often unscrew together with the core and cause instant deflation. This is a rather frequent mistake. To prevent this from happening you have to wait for a certain period of time till the whole thing warms up after inflation. Or use threadlocker on valve core.
Old 09-06-19, 08:31 AM
86az135i
Banned.

Bikes: 1996 Cannondale R900, 2016 Trek Boone, 2005 Giant Yukon

Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
Not necessary, and frankly not a good idea. Just torque it down to a couple foot pounds, it has an o-ring.
Old 09-06-19, 09:04 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Uy from qc.
Tumpak
Old 09-06-19, 11:13 AM
iamLefty

Originally Posted by AndreyT
It is not necessary. However, if you'll ever have to use a threaded CO2 inflator on such a valve, remember that the inflator thread will freeze itself to the core thread during the inflation process. If you attempt to unscrew the inflator immediately afterwards (while it is still frozen), it will often unscrew together with the core and cause instant deflation. This is a rather frequent mistake. To prevent this from happening you have to wait for a certain period of time till the whole thing warms up after inflation. Or use threadlocker on valve core.
I don’t use CO2. But thanks for that info, i’ll pass it on to those who do.
Old 09-06-19, 11:33 AM
iamLefty

Originally Posted by 86az135i
Not necessary, and frankly not a good idea. Just torque it down to a couple foot pounds, it has an o-ring.
Thanks. I just used a spare tube with removable valve for the first time after i got a puncture from a nail. Tightened it just enough. While riding home i had this thought: is there any chance it can unscrew by itself while riding?
Old 09-07-19, 05:17 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Thanks. I just used a spare tube with removable valve for the first time after i got a puncture from a nail. Tightened it just enough. While riding home i had this thought: is there any chance it can unscrew by itself while riding?
Loktite would just make it harder to replace a broken valve stem. I buy all my tubes with removable stems, so I don't ruin a good tire because I screwed up the valve stem. I carry a couple of valve stems salvaged from old tubes in my repair kit that I use on long tours.

P.S. We have been using tubes with removable valve stems for at least 12 years without having a valve stem come lose. We have a fleet of bikes in our family and all of them use Presta valve tubes. We put on a fair amount of mileage. My wife's newest touring bike is 8 years old and has 22,000 miles on it. She has 2 other bikes that she also rides.

About 75% of the Presta tubes we used during this time are represented by the number of valve stem bolts I'e been throwing in my tool box for several years. I just wanted to see how many tubes we use, and they are handy.

Last edited by Doug64; 09-08-19 at 07:29 PM.