Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Aging out for technical MTB trails?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Aging out for technical MTB trails?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-23, 11:37 AM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
Yes, good stuff. My wrists/thumbs are still my biggest joint complaints these days though. My other joint issues seem to be much better to almost non existent since I gave up the other sports that abused them.
I developed a terrible rash from using Voltareń cream on my leg. It took weeks to go away, and only days to develop. Hope you don't have that problem, but be aware.
Old 09-23-23, 02:14 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by gobicycling
I developed a terrible rash from using Voltareń cream on my leg. It took weeks to go away, and only days to develop. Hope you don't have that problem, but be aware.
The label say only for use on hands and feet. I was wondering what would happen if used elsewhere and you provided the answer!

Old 09-23-23, 04:58 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
The label say only for use on hands and feet. I was wondering what would happen if used elsewhere and you provided the answer!
Maybe I should read more labels!
Likes For gobicycling:
Old 09-23-23, 11:16 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I think mountain biking is a great workout and it also keeps you sharp and trains your body and mind in ways that road riding never will. I've seen so may cyclists who lack strength, coordination, skill and ability to ride up or down a simple curb or some other simple obstacle. They have to stop and walk their bike and these aren't really old guys, they're still younger men, what a shame...If you regularly mountain bike then riding over curbs or some other obstacles is easy.
My theory with mountain biking (and trail running) is that it helps keep the brain sharp. As many here have noted, there are limitations and the mind and body inevitably slow down. But to those who still ride mountain bikes, do you conaider yourself sharper than your non mountain biking peers?

Last edited by john m flores; 09-25-23 at 09:02 AM.
Old 09-24-23, 06:24 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
I started riding bikes after a serious motorcycle crash that prompted me to give it up. I've been tempted to try some mountain biking but I've held off mainly because the people I know that do, are often not riding at all because they're recovering from some kind of crash; broken collarbones, bruised or broken ribs, concussions, etc. As we get older, recovering from broken bones, etc. is just a lot more difficult and I find I have less tolerance for risk than i used to.

At the moment, I get all the enjoyment I need road biking so I'm content to stick with that. Naturally it has it's own risks, and I do my best to minimize them.
Old 09-25-23, 06:34 AM
Dino_Sore

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I'm looking at my Voltaren right now and it states it can be used on knees, elbows, etc.
Old 09-25-23, 07:49 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by Dino_Sore
I'm looking at my Voltaren right now and it states it can be used on knees, elbows, etc.
Yep. One thing about using it on larger pody parts is that it is easier to exceed the recommended dosage (it does get into the bloodstream afterall). Itching, rash and so on are listed side effects and I'd imagine you'd be more likely to run into problems with them if exceeding the recommended dosage. I recall it coming with a card that showed how long of a bead equalled what dosage. Not sure if that was with the prescription stuff, the OTC, or both.
Old 09-25-23, 08:33 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by john m flores
But to those who still ride mountain bikes, do you conaider yourself sbarper than your non mountain biking peers?
No. Just more stubborn and, perhaps, a bit dumber I mean, we’re old farts still riding around on rocks. Someone should knock some sense into us!
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 09-25-23, 08:39 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

I know that there are many factors involved, but I am curious how long some of we older riders manage to ride technical single track and other MTB trails as we age. I know that I have spoken to a number of local guys who feel like they have aged out of riding any of the local trails that they don't consider "flowy". I mentioned to a neighbor that I rode from the house and where I went and he said he'd have to walk most of what I ride. He drives to some nice flowy non technical trails about 20 minutes drive from home to ride. The 40 minute round trip drive, plus loading and unloading the car is a lot of inertia to overcome so it means he is way less likely to ride.

Any way it got me thinking. He is about 10 years my junior (I am 72) and apparently in good health. I know our life and health can be a fragile thing and can be taken away at any time, but I'd like to think there is a reasonable chance that I can still be riding the same kind of trails and make trips to destination rides another 10-15 years if I continue to be blessed with good health. I have always had decent skills for crashing gracefully and without serious orthopedic injury. I think that helps a lot.

We don't have long fast downhills here, but I'd love to ride some if we did. I have always been a fearless descender and I don't think I'd let my age stop me. I miss those descents having moved to Tallahassee. It is one thing I'll enjoy if I travel with my MTB. At present I have been kind of stuck at home and have not travelled for a while.

Am I kidding myself about the likelyhood of another 10-15 years of enjoying this?

What have you found that you have managed? Have you toned down your trail riding? Quit trail riding? Or are you still riding like you did whne younger?
Okay, I just got to say where do you find trails in Florida that aren’t “flowy”? Do you even have trails with rocks on them?
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-25-23, 09:23 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Okay, I just got to say where do you find trails in Florida that aren’t “flowy”? Do you even have trails with rocks on them?
I am in Tallahassee so it is more like SW Georgia than the rest of Florida, but no there arent any rocks to speak of. What there are is lots of treees, roots, ruts, and llittle ledges. It is mostly hard packed sand some of it with loose sand on top. The hard packed sand can be almost like sandstone so the ruts and ledges can be almost like rock, Tallahassee has lots of short, but surprisingly steep hills. It is much better in that regard than you'd expect for Florida. Some of the trails are tight and twisty where you have to really work you way through to not get the bars hung and crash. We don't have any mud so it is quite different from the riding I am used to when I was riding in MD, PA, VA, and WV where mud was ubiquitois much of the year. That and the lack of rocks means the area has its own different set of riding challenges.

I have ridden MTB in various parts of the country and enjoyed all of the riding whether it was Snowshoe WV, Moab UT, Tahoe, NV, or even Tallahassee. Some of it was world class stuff and some not, but it was all fun. Tallahassee is way better than I expected when I moved here. That is true of both the roads and the trails.
Old 09-25-23, 10:03 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8282 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
I've been tempted to try some mountain biking but I've held off mainly because the people I know that do, are often not riding at all because they're recovering from some kind of crash; broken collarbones, bruised or broken ribs, concussions, etc.
As I posted earlier, my experience has been the opposite of this. Of course, I know a lot more roadies than mtb'ers but I can't remember anyone ever getting hurt on a mtb ride where they needed an ambulance, or worse. I did have a mtb friend fracture his hip once but it was minor and he rode to his car. I had 4 friends break hips in the same year on road bikes.

Usually if you suggest trying a mountain bike to a roadie they will picture flying off cliffs or tumbling down rock strewn chutes. The reality is you can start with mellow singletracks or even smooth fire roads. You shouldn't start by following seasoned riders down a double black diamond trail or a jump line at a park.

Some of your road skills and abilities will translate to mountain bikes but there is a whole separate skill set needed to manage the dirt. Good road riders will do fine on smooth climbs. Whoever the best road climber is will likely be the best off road climber until things get gnarly.

Roadies will try to just sit on the bike like they do on the road. You need to learn to move your body around a lot more and get comfortable with some sliding. Some people who are good road riders will never be good off road. Never. It's a different discipline. It's definitely not for everyone, but neither is road riding.

The positives to off road riding are huge. First, no cars. This means no drunk drivers, no carloads of obnoxious kids screaming and throwing things at you. No punishment passes. No deafening race motorcycles inches from you. No bus exhaust, no traffic lights, etc. You can see a side of the land you'll never see from a road. You'll experience quiet. And great memories.

Likes For big john:
Old 09-25-23, 10:27 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by big john
The positives to off road riding are huge. First, no cars. This means no drunk drivers, no carloads of obnoxious kids screaming and throwing things at you. No punishment passes. No deafening race motorcycles inches from you. No bus exhaust, no traffic lights, etc. You can see a side of the land you'll never see from a road. You'll experience quiet. And great memories.
That and just the joy of getting out in the woods. Seeing the wildlife is a big plus for me as well.

I ride the trails every day and enjoy it immensely. I consider the risk of minor injury possibly a little higher than riding on the road and the risk of really serious injury much lower.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 09-25-23, 11:56 AM
cyccommute 

I am in Tallahassee so it is more like SW Georgia than the rest of Florida, but no there arent any rocks to speak of. What there are is lots of treees, roots, ruts, and llittle ledges. It is mostly hard packed sand some of it with loose sand on top. The hard packed sand can be almost like sandstone so the ruts and ledges can be almost like rock, Tallahassee has lots of short, but surprisingly steep hills. It is much better in that regard than you'd expect for Florida. Some of the trails are tight and twisty where you have to really work you way through to not get the bars hung and crash. We don't have any mud so it is quite different from the riding I am used to when I was riding in MD, PA, VA, and WV where mud was ubiquitois much of the year. That and the lack of rocks means the area has its own different set of riding challenges.

I have ridden MTB in various parts of the country and enjoyed all of the riding whether it was Snowshoe WV, Moab UT, Tahoe, NV, or even Tallahassee. Some of it was world class stuff and some not, but it was all fun. Tallahassee is way better than I expected when I moved here. That is true of both the roads and the trails.
I was yanking your Florida chain. I’ve ridden some in New England and I’m not a fan of roots and wet. Give me dry rocks any day.

Old 09-25-23, 02:14 PM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by cyccommute
I was yanking your Florida chain. I’ve ridden some in New England and I’m not a fan of roots and wet. Give me dry rocks any day.
Actually it was a fair question. When folks hear Florida I am sure they have a hard time imagining any at all challenging MTB trails.
Old 09-25-23, 03:51 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
Few realize that we have hills in the Florida panhandle. They aren't large hills, but there are a lot of rollers and short grades that are fairly steep.

I haven't ridden technical trails since before there were "mountain bikes." (I grew up in western NY and of course back then we just had bikes that we outfitted for the purpose.) At my age I wouldn't consider it now but I'm also sure that if I was already doing it there is no way I'd consider stopping. You stick with what's comfortable and for me that's now the road. I do have the good fortune of endless miles of very low traffic country roads at my doorstep.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 09-25-23, 05:34 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 837 Posts
I enjoy multitrack trails and other forms of "tame" mountain biking, but I have had dyspraxia ("clumsy child" syndrome) since infancy, and this has resulted in an absence of self-confidence for anything requiring much in the way of physical coordination. My younger son is a natural athlete, instantly good at any sport he attempts, and the family joke is that he gets it from me.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 09-25-23, 08:20 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Dino_Sore
Good to know. Thanks.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-26-23, 10:45 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Yep. One thing about using it on larger pody parts is that it is easier to exceed the recommended dosage (it does get into the bloodstream afterall). Itching, rash and so on are listed side effects and I'd imagine you'd be more likely to run into problems with them if exceeding the recommended dosage. I recall it coming with a card that showed how long of a bead equalled what dosage. Not sure if that was with the prescription stuff, the OTC, or both.
FWIW, this ^^^, and worse. Tried it once, a few years ago, on my lower back. Measured (proper) dosage and all that.

Ended up in ER (by ambulance) with a severe allergic reaction that started within a few minutes and manifested like a significant cardiac event. Took days to recover.

Turns out that this is a very rare, but not unheard of, reaction. Can't recall if the reaction was to the active ingredient(s) or the carrier medium. I think the latter, but not sure. Needless to say, haven't gone near the stuff since!
Old 09-27-23, 02:42 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 57 Posts
What is technical to one rider may not be to another. I will still occasionally ride something I consider technical but I don’t seek it out. On the other hand, living in the heart of the mountains many people would think many of our trails are technical that the locals don’t.

The main factor that has caused me to shift from mountain biking to road is the prevalence of electric bikes on the trails over the last few years. Most of my former riding partners have them - especially if they’re into steep technical trails. I have always been into mountain biking more for the exercise than the technical skills. Now I can’t enjoy it nearly as much dodging all the motorized bikes powering uphill for their next technical descent.
Old 10-01-23, 05:10 AM
Joe F

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX-7 29

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 14 Posts
Recently turned 66 and bought a new mountain bike for my birthday. Being optimistic I guess! I ride a 12mi trail 3 times a week on average, alternating with heavy weightlifting on non riding days. I think the weight lifting has made a big difference in being able to still get at it agressively out on the trail. I am still still fairly strong and nimble. The trail is a mix of flowy and multiple man made jumps and features. I still do all but the extreme technicals, but sometimes when I am airborne off a jump I have the thought.."You're too old for this now!!!" There is one feature which consists of a wooden bridge about 4ft off the ground, 2ft wide and maybe 50 yards long. I gave it up after seeing a fellow older rider go off the side and completely shatter his collar bone. He gave up MTB permanently. I got 10 years out of my previous bike and hope to get as many or more out of the new one.
Old 10-01-23, 06:55 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by Joe F
Recently turned 66 and bought a new mountain bike for my birthday. Being optimistic I guess! I ride a 12mi trail 3 times a week on average, alternating with heavy weightlifting on non riding days. I think the weight lifting has made a big difference in being able to still get at it agressively out on the trail. I am still still fairly strong and nimble. The trail is a mix of flowy and multiple man made jumps and features. I still do all but the extreme technicals, but sometimes when I am airborne off a jump I have the thought.."You're too old for this now!!!" There is one feature which consists of a wooden bridge about 4ft off the ground, 2ft wide and maybe 50 yards long. I gave it up after seeing a fellow older rider go off the side and completely shatter his collar bone. He gave up MTB permanently. I got 10 years out of my previous bike and hope to get as many or more out of the new one.
I never cared much for the man made stuff even when I was younger, so I most often ride trails with only natural features. It was the same when I raced motorcycles. I can see building manmade features where there aren't natural ones though. The thing that really used to gall me in my mc racing days was when I had to race at a track with 100% manmade features. It ws in a mountainous WV county and they built the MX course on the only flat place they could have found. It had been a football field! They built 100% manmade jumps and stuff. Since my race was a hare scrambles we did run the track and then go off into the woods to make a longer loop, but it still ticked me off riding 4 hours of loops there. A lot of us would have boycotted that track but it was a points race so we needed it if we wanted to be competitive.
Old 11-16-23, 02:07 PM
Brett A
Word.

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Orbea Oiz XCountry Bike, Specialized Roubaix, Borealis Echo Fat Bike for Winter, many others out in the barn.

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 51 Posts
We only have technical trails where I live. Nothing flowy. They're old hiking trails that see little use. I'm 57 and still doing just fine with them. Not as fast overall as I used to be, but I still climb and clear as well as ever. I have a couple friends in their mid 70's who ride nearly every day on these trails. But they do avoid the loops that are full of brutal steep technical climbs. I image I will some day as well.

I think the bike has a lot to do with it too. Modern bikes are so much easier to ride than the old rigid 26" ones we had in the 80's-00's. My next bike will be a trail bike. I've always had XC bikes but I think I'd enjoy something longer, lazier and more forgiving as I age.

Originally Posted by Mountain Mitch
What is technical to one rider may not be to another. I will still occasionally ride something I consider technical but I don’t seek it out. On the other hand, living in the heart of the mountains many people would think many of our trails are technical that the locals don’t.
For me, technical means a trail I know I can't clear 100% regardless of fitness. Pretty much every loop near me has sections that very few people have ever cleared. The measure of how you're doing is how many times you failed. And I've been riding these trails since the mid 80's
Old 11-17-23, 07:22 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by Ogsarg
I started riding bikes after a serious motorcycle crash that prompted me to give it up. I've been tempted to try some mountain biking but I've held off mainly because the people I know that do, are often not riding at all because they're recovering from some kind of crash; broken collarbones, bruised or broken ribs, concussions, etc. As we get older, recovering from broken bones, etc. is just a lot more difficult and I find I have less tolerance for risk than i used to.

At the moment, I get all the enjoyment I need road biking so I'm content to stick with that. Naturally it has it's own risks, and I do my best to minimize them.
FWIW, after many decades of both, I'd say that the serious injuries were about equal between the two. I think that would be true even if I tried to factor in how much of each activity I did. I think risk of death is much higher on the road though. Both are fairly safe activities if practiced sensibly.

I remember my coworkers asking how I could do such risky activities all the time (ww boating, mountain biking, and so on) when I had a family. I ras pretty much never nursing injuries serious enough that they affected my job. The funny thing was these guys were injured all the time from playing softball and hobbling around in braces and casts. That may be because they seemed to think alcohol was a necessary part of any recreational activity.

Edit to add:
FWIW, if I spent enough time ay any fun outdoor activity there were some injuries. Perhaps a bit surprisingly I didn't find trail running to be that much different than trail riding when it came to number of injuries. At least for the kind of trails I ran. I guess if you ran flat well groomed trails...

Last edited by staehpj1; 11-17-23 at 09:17 AM.
Old 11-17-23, 07:37 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by Brett A
For me, technical means a trail I know I can't clear 100% regardless of fitness. Pretty much every loop near me has sections that very few people have ever cleared. The measure of how you're doing is how many times you failed. And I've been riding these trails since the mid 80's
For me technical vs non technical isn't a measure of difficulty. I think of technical as tight and twisty with small features that require some bikehandling. Big drops and large features are the opposite.

Maybe my definition is carried over from my whitewater paddling days where big water and technical stuff are on opposite ends of the spectrum. Big pushy water with long trains of standing waves aren't technical. Tight twisty creeks where you are dodging boulders are.

The rider's ability is likely to come into play in applying the definition in any case.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 11-17-23, 02:21 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

One inch is the maximum dose per day and am only supposed to use it for X weeks due to liver toxicity, so need to take a break from it to reduce internal level.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.