Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Non club and casual riders, speak up

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Non club and casual riders, speak up

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-23, 11:24 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
As forums go, BF is pretty benign; although the General and Mechanics can get a bit testy. But like all specific topic forums, most of those who are members are enthusiasts. I have spent my life as a Jack of all trades and master of none. It is based on what my Mom told me years ago when I was a teenager and moping that of all the friends I knew I was not the best at anything. She said that I should be thankful to be able to do a lot of things well enough to enjoy them. At a couple weeks from turning 72, that is what I did. My life is littered with, "That looks like fun."

As for a casual/club rider, I'm much too competitive to just ride along aimlessly, but I'm also no where close to being dedicated enough to pursue lofty performance goals. From the time I was a kid I would go all out for a couple of hours at any sport or activity. So I am probably more of a casual athlete. But I also like the technical aspect of things, so I turn my own wrenches.

My greatest admiration is for those who will pack their lives onto a bike and ride for days unsupported to wherever their heart's desire.

Everyone can find their own lane and as long as they are enjoying that lane there is not a lot more that can be asked. And for those who are striving to improve, more power to them.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 11-29-23, 12:24 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 377 Posts
I've always thought that introverts (and only children) are overrepresented in the riding community, as it does not require teammates like most of the major ball sports.
Likes For john m flores:
Old 11-29-23, 01:10 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,990 Times in 569 Posts
I commuted for 20+ years every day, so a lot of my riding was alone. Weekends, I rode in casual groups. Not generally a bike club, just like minded people who wanted to ride in the mountains .... typically a very friendly group with a wide range of abilities.

I only recently went on Strava, and I did that because my kids bought me an iWatch so they would get notified in a crash. The iWatch makes it super easy to keep track of rides. I'm not sure why I even bother uploading rides ... but one thing for sure, the fact that it is a simple single button operation is a big part of it.

I don't ride with a Garmin or other handlebar mounted GPS. These days, I don't even have a speedo/odo on the bike. I guess the information one would provide would be useful, but I'm not keen on adding another thing to the bike that requires recharging.

I've done a lot of endurance races .. even won my age division once. But I'm not fast, and I do endurance races more for the camaraderie and adventure. Finishing is the goal.

I was lucky enough to do RAW and RAAM. I think we placed first in our age group in RAW and in the middle of our age group in RAAM. Again, it was about having fun. There are LOTS of people faster than I ever was.

I've belonged to a few local bike clubs, mostly because I liked them and wanted to support them.

I've done a bunch of supported tours. I think they are my favorite.

So I'm not sure I fit into the club rider, casual rider, or what. I've just gravitated to ride with people who do rides like me.

One thing I have learned is that cycling is a broad activity. It means different things to different people ... ranging from casual weekend strand cruisers to semi-pro calorie counting professionally trained racers. It's all good to me. There is a lot of room on the cycling bus.

Old 11-29-23, 01:12 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,646 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by john m flores
I've always thought that introverts (and only children) are overrepresented in the riding community, as it does not require teammates like most of the major ball sports.
As an introverted, only child I take great offense and defense at this statement of almost (alternative?) fact. Since my parents moved constantly, my only constant ‘peers’ were adults. Thus I pursued solo sports for the most part - skiing, tennis, track and general fitness running, hiking and of course cycling. The only real ‘team’ sport I participated in was soccer. I don’t count tennis team and the ski team as real teams, since it was always a solo effort.

As a retiree, who is able to ride any time, especially mid-week, I see quite a few other solo riders, mostly males. A few are of retirement age and others are 40s-50s, perhaps retired or flex-hours types. I only really see group rides on weekends when the middle-aged working people can get together. Even on the weekends, 90% of the people riding even in more populous areas are also solo. Perhaps one of the great appealing aspects of the sport is that it only takes one to tango.

Only child, perhaps. Introverted, perhaps not.

Now I really need to get back to analyzing my performance stats.

Old 11-29-23, 02:01 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Another possibility is that casual riders who are not interested in group rides or setting performance goals (including older riders who DO cycle "much") are made to feel unwelcome by some of the snark and insults directed at them by the performance/fitness/competitive/club oriented posters who dominate much of the discussion on this list.
You do an excellent job of championing their cause, though.

Likes For Trakhak:
Old 11-29-23, 02:49 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
My greatest admiration is for those who will pack their lives onto a bike and ride for days unsupported to wherever their heart's desire.
You may be cool, but you’re not “Jenny Graham, rode unsupported around the world in 124 days, slept in ditches and set the world record” cool. 😊

Otto
Old 11-29-23, 03:57 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Originally Posted by ofajen
You may be cool, but you’re not “Jenny Graham, rode unsupported around the world in 124 days, slept in ditches and set the world record” cool. 😊

Otto
No offense intended, but I don’t tour so I have no idea what “You may be cool” means.

But I still admire anyone who does.

John
Old 11-29-23, 04:35 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
No offense intended, but I don’t tour so I have no idea what “You may be cool” means.

But I still admire anyone who does.

John
Never mind. Just supposed to be funny.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 11-29-23, 04:59 PM
70sSanO

Otto
No problem. Just didn’t follow it.

John
Old 11-29-23, 05:10 PM
Trakhak

No problem. Just didn’t follow it.

John
I read it as both a compliment to you and a shout-out to Jenny Graham (which I appreciated, having never heard of her).
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 11-29-23, 07:00 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,230 Posts
If one wants to exercise for cardio (balance, leg strength, endurance) it might as well be an activity so easy on the joints it can be a lifetime participatory sport.

besides, too much fun to NOT get out and ride.
Show the duds.

Enjoy the road

Smile at Nature

And my Pinarello takes me to amazing places and allows me to be a part of marvelous things.

Last edited by Wildwood; 11-29-23 at 07:11 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 11-29-23, 10:31 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Otto
To cool for school!

Old 11-29-23, 10:42 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Wildwood
If one wants to exercise for cardio (balance, leg strength, endurance) it might as well be an activity so easy on the joints it can be a lifetime participatory sport.

And my Pinarello takes me to amazing places and allows me to be a part of marvelous things.
Ah the infamous Kalakala. Wonder if it is still on Lake Union or has been turned into tuna cans.

Old 11-30-23, 09:22 AM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Quoted: 3205 Post(s)
Liked 1,845 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
I am definitely a solo rider. I occasionally will do a planned ride with someone, and seldom will ride for a while with a stranger I meet while on a bike.
It has been a number of years since I did an actual group ride. My experience with doing them, while not unpleasant, not how I prefer to spend my on bike time.
My experience has been generally unpleasant when riding with groups. All that chattering, and shouting ‘car back’ all the lime. And the waving of the arms pointing out holes and other obstructions.
Old 11-30-23, 10:56 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,230 Posts
I occasionally like to sing, whistle and think deep. Not good at any of them, nor conversation. Who wants to go riding?
Old 11-30-23, 05:49 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 447 Posts
My little town has no clubs, nor even a LBS, so almost all my rides are solo. Wouldn't mind a riding buddy, but have little interest in bigger group rides, really. I'm way slower than I used to be in my youth, and less skilled as well. I do huff and puff while riding by myself - to actually slow down and take it easy and enjoy the scenery is something I have to remind myself is OK sometimes. But I hate being hurried and waited for, only to have the waiting riders rush off immediately, so it's probably just as well.
Old 11-30-23, 10:21 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8286 Post(s)
Liked 9,055 Times in 4,481 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
My little town has no clubs, nor even a LBS, so almost all my rides are solo. Wouldn't mind a riding buddy, but have little interest in bigger group rides, really. I'm way slower than I used to be in my youth, and less skilled as well. I do huff and puff while riding by myself - to actually slow down and take it easy and enjoy the scenery is something I have to remind myself is OK sometimes. But I hate being hurried and waited for, only to have the waiting riders rush off immediately, so it's probably just as well.
Do you ever see other people riding while you are out?
Old 12-01-23, 12:24 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Do you ever see other people riding while you are out?
On occasion, sure, but it's not a big cycling town, so not many. There is one gal I'd like to meet - maybe one of these days...
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 12-01-23, 03:42 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
My experience has been generally unpleasant when riding with groups. All that chattering, and shouting ‘car back’ all the lime. And the waving of the arms pointing out holes and other obstructions.
lol - you’ve described group rides I’ve often been a part of

that stuff never bothered me
Likes For t2p:
Old 12-01-23, 03:55 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
On occasion, sure, but it's not a big cycling town, so not many. There is one gal I'd like to meet - maybe one of these days...
I met mrs t2p via cycling

I did a short run one early evening and returned to a parking lot where I met some bike friends that had just returned from their bike ride .. and the future mrs t2p finished her bike ride and was parked near us

could say it was love at first bike
Old 12-01-23, 07:27 AM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 251 Posts
I'm 51 and got back into cycling in my late 40's because I needed an outlet from a very taxing and people-y job so I rode alone. I have changed jobs several times since then and still need my space so I ride alone. I do occassionally ride with a college friend (local MTB trails) but paved trails are my happy space and I'm happy to be alone. I do some local rides with my wife and 9 year old daughter but those are about the ride. My daughter will also go out with me some but we are working on the sore bottom issue (new saddle in the spring) so I am hoping she'll take some longer destination rides with me in 2024.

I have a competitive streak that surfaces at times but it's about being in tune with my body and beating my previous best a few seconds at a time. Frankly, I'm just happy to ride and don't care what anyone else thinks. I don't care of they think my hybrid with fenders and a rack looks odd or if the notice the full 105 upgrade it received...
Likes For Trav1s:
Old 12-01-23, 07:39 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
I was riding with a group, but stopped some time ago. Rather than lengthy explanation, see post #2.
Old 12-01-23, 08:05 AM
Trakhak

Originally Posted by Trav1s
Frankly, I'm just happy to ride and don't care what anyone else thinks. I don't care of they think my hybrid with fenders and a rack looks odd or if they notice the full 105 upgrade it received...
I've never understood this tendency to assume that riders are going around judging others by their bikes. It happens with cars, probably, but bikes---not in my experience.

Most riders, I would guess, admire people who are on bikes that are clearly set up for touring, errand running, etc. It's possible, I suppose, that some guys with expensive bikes judge others with bikes that are almost but not quite as expensive, but even imagining that is a struggle. Thinking otherwise might simply be projecting.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 12-01-23, 08:15 AM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
I've never understood this tendency to assume that riders are going around judging others by their bikes. It happens with cars, probably, but bikes---not in my experience.

Most riders, I would guess, admire people who are on bikes that are clearly set up for touring, errand running, etc. It's possible, I suppose, that some guys with expensive bikes judge others with bikes that are almost but not quite as expensive, but even imagining that is a struggle. Thinking otherwise might simply be projecting.
I agree that most are in the first group. I also have encounterd hard core cycling people that are very similar to the hardcore car guys. The parallels are incredible...

In either arena, I'm from the "I researched, I built it, and I enjoy it" school. Often people ask why and my response is simply because I can and I enjoy it. My Quick 1 is an example of this as is the Subaru Outback XT that sits in the garage...

Last edited by Trav1s; 12-01-23 at 08:28 AM.
Likes For Trav1s:
Old 12-01-23, 08:56 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak

IDK, there's a lot of groupthink and conformity in the more sportive cycling groups that I've encountered. Some of it is understandable, i.e., lycra and slim fit riding gear are more aero. I've mostly ridden solo but for years I considered myself part of the sporty crowd. But now that I'm older and slower and more likely to have a bag or two on my non drop bar bike and wear non-aero clothes, I've encountered sporting cyclists who've basically ignored my friendly hello and wave.

And there's a reason why the whole mountain bike scene grew the way it did, as a counterculture to the stereotypical conformist roadie. And in a lot of ways it's still like that.

Not that it bothers me - I'm too old for that crap and have always been independently-minded. But I do think it's there.
Likes For john m flores:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.