Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

cable routing modify (alu and carb)

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-24, 03:58 PM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 101 Posts

I saw online a few pics of guys making a custom internal cable routing on aluminium handlebars and even in a carbon forks not even made for internal ruoting.
In case the piece is made from steel, you can simply make an hole, inserting a steel tube and then sold brazing it to make a custom route for cables.
But what kind of works must be done for carbon and alum?
In the case of the CF, are they going to "replicate" the same way of the steel but with epoxy/carbon instead?
has anyone ever done/found a video regarding this procedure?
i'm very curious about it!
Old 01-21-24, 08:31 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4209 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
I think your answer is in how the builder constructs the added on internal ports and tunnel, where they are placed and what the frame has for construction where the ports are. The number of possible permeations are too many to try to make more than general comments. My opinion is that one would want to assume on inadequate wall lay up for a port if the port wasn't a detail designed for. Thus I would assume added carbon layering at the port would be wanted. Hoe the internal tunnelling was handled I'll leave that to one who thinks internal routing is a good thing. Andy
Old 01-24-24, 09:30 AM
Canaboo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I make carbon tubes for internal routing in Bamboo. You can buy small diameter carbon sleeve material and form it around plastic tubing with epoxy and let it cure. Then either end of the plastic tubing can be pulled until the stretching and narrowing of it causes it to release from the carbon so it can be pulled out.

I bend the plastic tubing so that the shape is as close as possible to the path the carbon tube will take within the frame
Old 01-24-24, 12:34 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
People do all kinds of unwise things for internet clout. From what I have seen of aluminum forks, it makes no sense to cut holes in them. And I doubt most people can cut a hole in carbon without doing a lot of hidden damage. Seems to me that all the people that do carbon mods and want to be able to get insurance only add material.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 01-24-24, 02:14 PM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
People do all kinds of unwise things for internet clout. From what I have seen of aluminum forks, it makes no sense to cut holes in them. And I doubt most people can cut a hole in carbon without doing a lot of hidden damage. Seems to me that all the people that do carbon mods and want to be able to get insurance only add material.
yeaaa! totally agree. but my post was for curiosity regarding the right way (not to do but understanding the mechanics)
Old 01-25-24, 05:13 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
All of the internally routed carbon and aluminum frames, that I have seen, have no guides or tubes to route the cables. They simply have a hole in the frame and the bare cable runs through the frame. They usually have a length of cable liner through the frame to guide the cables for installation, but that gets removed after the cables are installed. A bad idea done simply for a clean look, if you ask me.