Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

OT- "Put down that aspirin"

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-09, 07:05 PM
bob the nailer

Bikes: trek 5200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Those of you who take aspirin "prophylactically" should go to yahoo and read the article saying that people who don't have cardiovascular should reconsider. No proven benefit and a higher rate of significant bleeding events.
Old 08-31-09, 07:16 PM
TVS_SS

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
people who don't have cardiovascular what?

you do know that "cardiovascular" isnt a disease unless you specifically say "disease" after it.... I sure hope i still have "cardiovascular"
Old 08-31-09, 07:18 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by TVS_SS
people who have cardiovascular what?
Oh noes! My cardiovascular!

Seriously though, if you don't have a cardiovascular, you're dead, so you're probably not taking Aspirin.
Old 08-31-09, 07:20 PM
bob the nailer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mea culpa, cardiovascular disease.
Old 08-31-09, 07:24 PM
TVS_SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i do many things prophylactically when i know i will be drinking in excess... asprin is only one of those items..
Old 08-31-09, 07:30 PM
SingleSpeeDemon
Team Sohoku

Bikes: BMC, Cannondale, '87 Nishiki Modulus, 3Rensho Keirin

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My cardiovascular is fine; it's my erectile that concerns me.
Old 08-31-09, 07:31 PM
SingleSpeeDemon
Team Sohoku

Bikes: BMC, Cannondale, '87 Nishiki Modulus, 3Rensho Keirin

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tvs_ss
i do many things prophylactically when i know i will be drinking in excess... Asprin is only one of those items..
rofl
Old 08-31-09, 07:31 PM
c0lnago

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Link?
Old 08-31-09, 07:48 PM
bob the nailer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
www.yahoo.com
Old 08-31-09, 08:21 PM
rumblebelly
probably has a flat

Bikes: Scattante r330

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aspirin and nearly all over the counter pain meds have right on the warning label "may cause stomach bleeding", it's a common thing when taking too much.

I use ibuprofen, as I recall most people who get stomach issues with Tylenol/aspirin have better luck with Motrin/ibuprofen
Old 08-31-09, 08:30 PM
spry

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bob,what do you consider a safe dosage for a descendant of arterial sclerosis parents?
I thought one tablet each day was reasonable?
Old 08-31-09, 08:36 PM
rumblebelly
probably has a flat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spry
Bob,what do you consider a safe dosage for a descendant of arterial sclerosis parents?
I would consult with a physician for something like that.. not someone who read a Yahoo article.. unless he is a physician I have no idea. Just going off what's here.
Old 08-31-09, 08:38 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
He is a physician. Not cardiovascular I don't think, urologist maybe? I don't remember.
Old 08-31-09, 08:38 PM
eb314

Bikes: 07 Cannondale Six13 (9 speed Ultegra) + 19?? Lugged Steel Specialized Allez Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spry
My un-professional, un-informed medical advice is that if you're taking one a day for heart health, take a baby asprin unless a doctor tells you otherwise.

Can anyone who knows what they're talking about back me up?
Old 08-31-09, 08:48 PM
spry

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by eb314
My un-professional, un-informed medical advice is that if you're taking one a day for heart health, take a baby asprin unless a doctor tells you otherwise.

Next week there will be an article and the benefits of aspirin for arterial function.
Who has the best answers?
Old 08-31-09, 09:29 PM
rumblebelly
probably has a flat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personal experience and common sense. I doubt any broad dosage will work for everyone, as long as you aren't taking like 1500mg's every single day of your life or something extreme. I doubt 1 a day will do anything, at all. But who knows.. like I said, personal experience helps. Take the stuff and go with what works.
Old 08-31-09, 09:35 PM
jdon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts

I am not a doctor but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. Here is some reading for you.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0322180019.htm

I did read a study recently that showed no benefit in taking more than 81 mg per day.

There are also numerous studies that counter the benefits of asprin therapy so who knows..
Old 08-31-09, 09:36 PM
topher110

Bikes: Downtube IV FS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He is a physician. Not cardiovascular I don't think
just because you HAVE cardiovascular doesn't mean you're good at it!

oh no too much aspirin... ahhhhh!
Old 08-31-09, 10:25 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
To deal with two clots in my calf related to crash injuries I was told to take 2 x 325 mg aspirins a day. This by a pulmonologist or whatever a blood doctor is called. Reminds me, I need to take one now.

They said that if I have a lot of nosebleeds (I did as a kid), reduce to 1. But 2 is better. No nosebleeds so 2 a day until they tell me to stop.

For what it's worth, the bottle says to limit intake to 12 a day. 12!! 3900 mg of aspirin in a day. My stomach would rip apart.

cdr
Old 08-31-09, 10:39 PM
Glidedon

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Normal amount for preventive measure is 81 mg. I've been taking 150mg daily for 15 years. No ill effects yet.
Old 09-01-09, 04:36 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by rumblebelly
Aspirin and nearly all over the counter pain meds have right on the warning label "may cause stomach bleeding", it's a common thing when taking too much.

I use ibuprofen, as I recall most people who get stomach issues with Tylenol/aspirin have better luck with Motrin/ibuprofen

I used to think I could substitute ibuprofen for asprin in situations like ... flying to ward off DVT. Turns out they are two very different drugs that react with the body in two very different ways. Asprin reduces the blood's ability to clot. Ibuprofen does not.

I should have taken asprin instead of ibuprofen on my 17 hour flight between LA and Melbourne in June. If I had .... maybe I wouldn't have ended up in the hospital here for 14 days with DVT.

That said, in response to the OP ... if you do not have some sort of heart condition of course you do not need to be taking an asprin a day. If you must take something every day ... try an apple.
Old 09-01-09, 05:01 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
You have to be kidding ---- less than 1% of the people showed any difference vs the placebo group, no matter how miniscule the issue.

Taking a baby aspirin a day just might save your life, if you have any family history of heart attack or stroke........ less than 1%! If you are over 50, it's cheap insurance. Taking a few regular aspirin at the signs of a heart attack, just might keep you alive.
Old 09-01-09, 05:04 AM
estabro
lungbuster

Bikes: Trek 5000 Road, SSFG Road, Kona FS MTN, Frankenbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thread should be moved...
Old 09-01-09, 06:49 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,928 Times in 4,160 Posts

I know what I am talking about and will try to back you up.

If you have coronary heart disease you should take an aspirin daily.

If you have 2 or more risk factors for heart disease (age >55, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, strong family history of heart disease) you should take an aspirin daily.

Most of us cyclists do not fit this category and for those folks, the consensus is that the risk of an aspirin daily (bleeding) outweighs the potential benefits.

Consensus is that 81mg/day (baby aspirin) should be adequate for most folks.

Any doubts? Ask your doctor.

Me? I am 44 with no risk factors so I do not take an aspirin.
Old 09-01-09, 07:41 AM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TVS_SS
i do many things prophylactically when i know i will be drinking in excess... asprin is only one of those items..
Probably the least of the times you want to take it. You are more likely to accidents resulting in bleeding, including closed head injuries, when intoxicated. Add to that the hypocoagulable state (= likely to bleed more) of someone on aspirin regularly and it is not a good thing. Also, one aspirin here and there is not the same as taking it regularly DAILY. the cardiovascular protective effects of it come from daily intake.

Originally Posted by rumblebelly

Actually, aspirin and ibuprofen, both, have a much much bigger likelyhood of causing a stomach ulcer or worsening one than acetaminophen (tylenol). All 3 are different drugs that work differently. They are in the same class of drugs though, but they all work differently.

Originally Posted by carpediemracing
To deal with two clots in my calf related to crash injuries I was told to take 2 x 325 mg aspirins a day. This by a pulmonologist or whatever a blood doctor is called. Reminds me, I need to take one now.

They said that if I have a lot of nosebleeds (I did as a kid), reduce to 1. But 2 is better. No nosebleeds so 2 a day until they tell me to stop.

For what it's worth, the bottle says to limit intake to 12 a day. 12!! 3900 mg of aspirin in a day. My stomach would rip apart.

cdr
Let's emphasize that part, FOR TREATMENT OF A BLOOD CLOT. Not the same as for prevention.

I would seriously stick with the advice given by datlas above. Stay off meds you don't need and consult YOUR doctor if you have any questions or concerns. That is one of the reasons they are there for. Personally, I think the free availability of medical information in the internet these days has had just as good as bad effects. It does allow anyone to inform themselves better about options and to inform themselves better about things they may not have understood well at a doctor's office, but at the same time it has brought a lot of confusion and misunderstanding. People don't realize how easy it is to make an article sound like it was written by god him himself while being completely flawed in design and conclusions. For every article that says X, you can find 6 that says Y. It takes a lot more than simple reading comprehension to tell which is likely right, which is questionable, and which deserves merit. Bottom line: consult your doctor when doubts arise.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.