Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for a bike I know what I don't like! (but no clue what I need)

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Suggestions for a bike I know what I don't like! (but no clue what I need)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-12, 05:14 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vmec
Budget is my main constraint. Otherwise I'd also be looking at the higher end bikes such as cannondale. Come Friday I'm going with a bike guy to a bike shop to ride out my online picks as well as other suggested bikes- I'll keep y'all updated

Good idea, Vmec!

Never can tell what the economic situation will be in the distant future. Make certain that you don't just buy a bike. You also want to make an investment. Buy a bike that you know will last!
Old 07-25-12, 06:30 PM
Bunnicula

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimRider
This is all quite true, Bunnicula!

I currently own a Trek 7.5FX. It appears to ride fairly smoothly until after about thirty or so miles. I then begin to pick up greater vibrations. I think it's a butt sensitivity issue that is directly correlated to frame material. I dunno, maybe it's just me!

I'll fully concede, that plush is the word when it comes to carbon road bikes. I've already test-ridden the bulk of them and I'm more impressed with Giant's Defy Advanced 2 model, than any other bike in the plush department. However, though I know it's tough, durable, and strong, I'm still on the fence concerning the carbon quirk syndrome.
I can relate to that, I have a butt sensitivity issue at about 20 miles. I don't think I've met quite the right saddle yet.
That Giant Defy Advanced 2 is a fine bike. If you get over your fear/concerns I think you'd really love riding it.
Old 07-28-12, 11:57 AM
vmec

Bikes: 2012 Devinci St. Tropez https://www.devinci.com/bikes/browse_19#19_62_183

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, after some trial rides I now own a 2012 Devinci St Tropez!

The KHS urban X was a much smoother ride and I could definitely feel the how much nicer a steel frame was however I despised the "micro gears" that the bike had. I'm not sure what mirco gears are but it was the only thing that prevented me from purchasing that bike becasue I did like the ride better. The bike tech did try to tune the gears for a smoother transition but I just wasn't getting the hang of it.

I also test rode a Norco bike and I forget why I didn't like it, but I immediately took it out of the running as I enjoyed riding the other 2 much more.

The first bike was ultimately my pick. The Devinci- the saddle was a dream come true! the ride wasn't quite as smooth as the KHS however gear changes were a breeze, and it was still a great ride overall.

I'm going to go pick up my bike today and ride it around pretty satisfied and happy thus far.
Old 07-28-12, 05:18 PM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I've never seen a Devinci bike, but it's a good looking bike and it has fender mounts, which you will probably appreciate in Vancouver. A pic and review once you have ridden it a bit would be welcome.
Old 07-28-12, 05:27 PM
Bunnicula

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yay, congrats on the new bike! Enjoy!