Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Any info. on Ghost, Cube, and Felt brand Hybrids?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-12, 08:12 AM
Beachcruzer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all, new to the group. I was wondering if any members have experience with or knowledge concerning Ghost, Cube or Felt brand bikes. I am currently residing in Israel, and have been looking for bikes here at the LBS. Unfortunately, the selection in hybrids is extremely limited. Even though well known brands such as Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, Giant, Raleigh and Schwinn are all represented here, within each brands lines, the choices are rather slim. For example in Trek, the 8.4 and 8.5 DS as well as the 7.X series are the only ones available. In Specialized, Cannondale, Raleigh, Scwhinn, Focus, GT and others, there are no hybrids that I have found. In Giant, they carry the Roam 2, but not the 1 or 0. The emphasis here seems to be on mountain bikes (hardtails, 29'ers, full suspension) and on road/race bikes.

I have found a few German on line sites that carry a fairly broad range of hybrids, including Ghost, Cube, Felt, Corratec, Staiger, Scott, Univega, Breezer, etc. They will all ship to me, and their prices are fair and competitive. In looking at the offerings from Ghost, Cube, and Felt, they seem to offer the best level of components at competitive prices. I have looked for reviews and have found some on Ghost and Cube, that are complimentary. I found more on Felt. While I would rather patronize the LBS, their offerings are so limited, that it just makes more sense for me to order a bike. If anyone has experience with these brands, I would very much appreciate your feedback. Thanks!
Old 08-16-12, 10:43 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
A "brand" of a bike is basicly just a name spraypainted on a frame.
All the other components and most of the time even the frame itself are sourced from all kinds of different manufacturers and when talking hybrids the majority of the bike drivetrains is basicly Shimano.
Cube makes their own frames I think ... I don't know about the rest.
I suggest you don't let yourself be guided by brand names and simply pick the bike you think you like best
Old 08-16-12, 12:28 PM
Beachcruzer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the input. After lurking here for a few weeks, I basically got the picture that this is the state of the industry today. As noted, I have been trying the local LBS and trying to find what is available locally; have a trip planned to the local Trek dealer on Sunday to check out the DS 8.4 and DS 8.5. What I am trying to do is get other's thoughts on their bikes and how happy they are with them. The Cube, Ghost and Felt models that I found on line are all equipped with Shimano gearing, chain, crank, etc. I want to give the local LBS a shot first. Thereafter, I will have to really think about it. As I said, the biggest problem is that the local shops really don't carry a large variety of hybrids, so that is why I am looking elsewhere. Right now, I find the Felt and Cubes the most attractive based upon the components and geometry.

Originally Posted by AdelaaR
A "brand" of a bike is basicly just a name spraypainted on a frame.
All the other components and most of the time even the frame itself are sourced from all kinds of different manufacturers and when talking hybrids the majority of the bike drivetrains is basicly Shimano.
Cube makes their own frames I think ... I don't know about the rest.
I suggest you don't let yourself be guided by brand names and simply pick the bike you think you like best
Old 08-16-12, 04:49 PM
Bunnicula

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've ridden a few Felt road bikes and liked them very much. I haven't tried their hybrids. The problem with buying a bike online is that you don't get to try the bike. All frame geometries are slightly different, and one bike may feel right to you while another feels wrong or "off". I think the frame is one of the most crucial elements in choosing a bike. Though the frames may all be made overseas, the technology and specs used vary. Here's an example of what I mean - I tried numerous road bikes with Shimano 105 components. Some felt okay, some were horrid, and two I REALLY liked. Same components basically, different frames. Granted, wheels and tires play a part as well.
Old 08-16-12, 06:53 PM
waynesworld
Papaya King

Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a 2009 Felt X:City D and it is a fine bike. I ride my road bikes more these days, but I like that Felt a lot. They don't make that model anymore, but the 2012 Verza frames appear to be similar (just looking, didn't check geometry). No idea what they have in the 2013 lineup.

Someone on here got a Cube in the past year or so, and posted pics. You should be able to find it with advanced search (if it's working). I believe he liked it. I know the pics looked really pretty for a hybrid.

Good luck!