Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Looking at a few Bikes opinions would be great!

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-12, 11:28 PM
SeanGee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys, I'm extremely new to the biking world. Me and my girlfriend have been looking for bikes for several weeks to a month now. I've gone to a few of the LBS and have found a few bikes I like (specialized sirrus for example) but the models I seem to like have a price tag close to $1000 - I know the base sirrus is $500 but it seems you can get more bang for the buck used or over the internet. So I've looked around the internet, and craigslist for that matter (which is a hit or miss not much for sale around here in my category).

These bikes seem to have some decent components (shimano derailleurs, shimano shifters, some with carbon forks etc)from what I've been reading here on the forums and just researching in general. The frames, from what I've been reading, all are fairly similar in weight and quality so it seems I'm trying to find the bike with the best components...especially in this price range.

I'd like to get some of your opinions just with a quick glance to narrow down the options. I'm even open to suggestions. Thanks again for any opinion you have/suggestions and tolerating such a nobie question!

This is #1. Pretty good components and light weight. Also one of the most expensive.

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...afe_sprint.htm

Here are the other bikes I'm looking at for me

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...tte_x_disc.htm

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...alaxy_tour.htm

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._sporterra.htm (FOR ME OR HER)

BIKES FOR GIRLFRIEND

This is the best I found for my girlfriend...

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gt/gt_traffic_2.htm

I've even considered the Gravity Avenue FB but it seems the components are low end and I would be upgrading anyways.
Old 08-14-12, 12:23 AM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buying a bike over the INTERNET that has a Nexus IGH would be kinda scary to me. For something that expensive to replace, I'd want to definitely deal face to face with a bicycle dealer/ manager, or perhaps even the owner.

IMHO the Motobecane Sprint is your best deal. You would be better off purchasing your GF's bike from a dealership. Take her to a Giant dealership and have her test ride the Escape or the Cypress. If she's short, she can test ride the Sedona.

You'd hate for her to not like the bike, after she sees it in person!

PS.

I hear southern Louisiana around the New Orleans area is basically flat. If so, you could save a ton of money by buying single speeds. That'll only be about $550 for the two of you in total for the following:

The Nekkid 2 Road Bike ~ $275
www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_524850_-1_202614/

You can have them custom painted with your savings....

Last edited by SlimRider; 08-14-12 at 12:47 AM.
Old 08-14-12, 01:22 AM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Buying any bike sight unseen or benefit of test rides from any source is rather risky- even more so if you don't know what you're looking at. Doesn't matter what components are hanging off the frame if it doesn't fit...
Old 08-14-12, 03:33 AM
SeanGee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimRider
Buying a bike over the INTERNET that has a Nexus IGH would be kinda scary to me. For something that expensive to replace, I'd want to definitely deal face to face with a bicycle dealer/ manager, or perhaps even the owner.

IMHO the Motobecane Sprint is your best deal. You would be better off purchasing your GF's bike from a dealership. Take her to a Giant dealership and have her test ride the Escape or the Cypress. If she's short, she can test ride the Sedona.

You'd hate for her to not like the bike, after she sees it in person!

PS.

I hear southern Louisiana around the New Orleans area is basically flat. If so, you could save a ton of money by buying single speeds. That'll only be about $550 for the two of you in total for the
The Nekkid 2 Road Bike ~ $275
www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_524850_-1_202614/

You can have them custom painted with your savings....
Thanks for the rec. I'm not totally opposed to the singlespeed bc, like you said, mostly flat here! I do like the cafe sprint though, still on my list for now.

Fitment will most def have to be dialed in if I buy offline. My search continues.

Originally Posted by no1mad
Buying any bike sight unseen or benefit of test rides from any source is rather risky- even more so if you don't know what you're looking at. Doesn't matter what components are hanging off the frame if it doesn't fit...
+1. Your right. I have much to learn before my purchase. Thanks for the input.
Old 08-14-12, 04:53 AM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I were you, I'd get these:

The Fuji Declaration ~ $590
www.fujibikes.com/bike/details/declaration-usa/

The Fuji Betsy ~ $530
www.fujibikes.com/bike/details/betsy-usa/
Old 08-14-12, 05:06 AM
SeanGee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I were you, I'd get these:

The Fuji Declaration ~ $590
www.fujibikes.com/bike/details/declaration-usa/

The Fuji Betsy ~ $530
www.fujibikes.com/bike/details/betsy-usa/
Those are nice...but i'm positive I could get a good SS for less than that lol - even though those are freaking sweet! I'm wondering if the girlfriend will go for the SS. I'm going to run it by here today and see....so many options with these bikes!
Old 08-14-12, 05:38 AM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SeanGee
Those are nice...but i'm positive I could get a good SS for less than that lol - even though those are freaking sweet! I'm wondering if the girlfriend will go for the SS. I'm going to run it by here today and see....so many options with these bikes!
Oh Yeah, for sure!

Performance.com is currently selling the Declaration for $500. I'm certain that I saw the Besty selling for about fifty bucks less, somewhere.

The Declaration ~ $500
www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1116806_-1_400317

The Betsy ~ $450
www.citygrounds.com/fuji/fuji-bike-single-speed-bike-2012-1803
Old 08-14-12, 09:58 AM
DiVon80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Howdy, I live in the Slidell/Pearl River area we have a bike shop in Mandeville, Louisiana called "Spokesman" they carry Specialized bikes.. I have a 93 Spec. Hardrock(needs some restoring been house kept till we became homeless after Katrina) Mountain bike. I am also looking for a hybrid... I think thats what I want been also looking at the SS or the womens version. Check the specialized sight for the new 2013's... I grew up in New Orleans. Flat maybe so but, I do not want a single gear either. We have levees to climb. Not the best streets either. Also, Our area the further north you go toward Mississippi things really begin to get hilly. Really big and hilly. We used to ride dirt bikes on a pipeline in
Enon Louisiana as you go north the dirt color changes and the hills start.. LOL!! Really interested in what you guys choose... While Specialized might be a bit pricey they are definately worth it.. I was so surprised when my husband pulled my bike out the shop... Just really dirty may need some new cables and brakes.. MY tires still hold air and are not even dry rot... So Amazed... Replace a few lil rusted clips on the wheels.. Remember were very high humidity here.. I was looking at the sport and the base models, this will get you a good start and you can always upgrade as things wear out...

Last edited by DiVon80; 08-14-12 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-14-12, 10:04 AM
DiVon80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is another thought... I would not reccomend getting your first bikes online.. You need to get fitted. There are things your gonna want done to the bike. LBS also give you free check ups in the beginning to make sure things are all right... If you get a bike on line where do you go if things are not right.. Need to start somewhere I would reccomend developing a relationship with a LBS... you will need them one day... Just my thought..
Old 08-14-12, 04:39 PM
SeanGee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DiVon80
Howdy, I live in the Slidell/Pearl River area we have a bike shop in Mandeville, Louisiana called "Spokesman" they carry Specialized bikes.. I have a 93 Spec. Hardrock(needs some restoring been house kept till we became homeless after Katrina) Mountain bike. I am also looking for a hybrid... I think thats what I want been also looking at the SS or the womens version. Check the specialized sight for the new 2013's... I grew up in New Orleans. Flat maybe so but, I do not want a single gear either. We have levees to climb. Not the best streets either. Also, Our area the further north you go toward Mississippi things really begin to get hilly. Really big and hilly. We used to ride dirt bikes on a pipeline in
Enon Louisiana as you go north the dirt color changes and the hills start.. LOL!! Really interested in what you guys choose... While Specialized might be a bit pricey they are definately worth it.. I was so surprised when my husband pulled my bike out the shop... Just really dirty may need some new cables and brakes.. MY tires still hold air and are not even dry rot... So Amazed... Replace a few lil rusted clips on the wheels.. Remember were very high humidity here.. I was looking at the sport and the base models, this will get you a good start and you can always upgrade as things wear out...
Thanks for the info because I was/am considering a SS! Being that I haven't ridden the levees yet that's some really good info to know! I have a girl I work with who rides on the Northshore all the time. She loves it!

I do really like the specialized models, but like you said they are pricey! Decisions!..

Originally Posted by DiVon80
Here is another thought... I would not reccomend getting your first bikes online.. You need to get fitted. There are things your gonna want done to the bike. LBS also give you free check ups in the beginning to make sure things are all right... If you get a bike on line where do you go if things are not right.. Need to start somewhere I would reccomend developing a relationship with a LBS... you will need them one day... Just my thought..
Yes I know. Like mentioned before the price comes into play when thinking of this. I know i'll drop a pretty penny for me and my gf at a bike shop but might be worth it.

Anyone have opinions on the Giant escape 3? I have a LBS that carries these starting at 399. I'm gonna go Saturday morning and bring my gf and see how we like them. They seem to get good reviews and have a decent frame that you can build on if you see it. I'm not sure what the differences are bt the 2 and 3 but the escape 2 seems to be a good bike.

Last edited by SeanGee; 08-14-12 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-14-12, 07:09 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info because I was/am considering a SS! Being that I haven't ridden the levees yet that's some really good info to know! I have a girl I work with who rides on the Northshore all the time. She loves it!

Hey there Sean,

The Giant Escape 2 is a nice bike for the price. The drivetrain components are standard low level components, but are quite durable. They made need more adjusting from time to time, but that just comes with the territory. All of the Escapes have aluminum frames.

OTOH you wouldn't have that problem with a single speed and you could save on the expense by not having to take it to the local bike shop (LBS) for adjustments. Also, most single speeds are made of steel. The better ones are made of chromoly steel.

Going up hill and inclines on a regular basis, would not be fun on a single speed. It would be much more convenient on serious inclines to have a multi-geared bicycle like the Giant Escape 2. However, in the absence of inclines while riding in the flats, single speeds totally rule!

How tall are you?

How tall is your girlfriend?

Last edited by SlimRider; 08-14-12 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-14-12, 07:47 PM
SeanGee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey there Sean,

The Giant Escape 2 is a nice bike for the price. The drivetrain components are standard low level components, but are quite durable. They made need more adjusting from time to time, but that just comes with the territory. All of the Escapes have aluminum frames.

OTOH you wouldn't have that problem with a single speed and you could save on the expense by not having to take it to the local bike shop (LBS) for adjustments. Also, most single speeds are made of steel. The better ones are made of chromoly steel.

Going up hill and inclines on a regular basis, would not be fun on a single speed. It would be much more convenient on serious inclines to have a multi-geared bicycle like the Giant Escape 2. However, in the absence of inclines while ridiing in the flats, single speeds totally rule!
How tall are you?

How tall is your girlfriend?
I'm right under 5'9" and my Gf is about 5'6"

I've definitely been debating the SS but also wonder if the gears will come in useful. As mentioned before we do have levees around here so gears would be a plus. I do like the simplicity of the SS but again this is my first bike since I was 10 so maybe something more general like escape could be better option. Benefits of SS can't be ignored though - maintainence, lack of shifting, not to mention probably a great workout!
Old 08-14-12, 08:37 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm right under 5'9" and my Gf is about 5'6"

I've definitely been debating the SS but also wonder if the gears will come in useful. As mentioned before we do have levees around here so gears would be a plus. I do like the simplicity of the SS but again this is my first bike since I was 10 so maybe something more general like escape could be better option. Benefits of SS can't be ignored though - maintainence, lack of shifting, not to mention probably a great workout!
I dunno how often you guys actually have to confront your levees and I really don't know anything about the physical characteristics of a levee. However, consider the fact that some single speedsters swear by their single speeds and won't hesitate to climb some quite serious hills while mounted on those same single speeds. Of course, that type of challenge is not for the average cyclist.

Anyhow, I think it would be a good idea to actually consider just what percent of the time you would actually have need for the extra gears and when they would not be necessary. Like for what purpose would your bikes be primarily used? Would fulfilling that purpose be greatly assisted by the use of gears?

Either way you go, you cant go wrong with an Escape 2, though....It's a mighty fine bike!

Last edited by SlimRider; 08-15-12 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-15-12, 03:15 AM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Fuji and Giant make nice bikes. As these are not considered "premium" brands, they may be a bit less expensive than the big three (Trek, Specialized, Cannondale). It's also new model season and you might be able to find sales on 2012 or fire sales on 2011 models. When I was bike shopping this past spring, I found that Specialized charged even more than it's competitors for similarly equipped bikes. YMMV.

I think the single speed would serve your needs well.
Old 08-15-12, 08:16 AM
SeanGee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I

I dunno how often you guys actually have to confront your levees and I really don't know anything about the physical characteristics of a levee. However, consider the fact that some single speedsters swear by their single speeds and won't hesitate to climb some quite serious hills while mounted on those same single speeds. Of course, that type of challenge is not for the average cyclist.

Anyhow, I think it would be a good idea to actually consider just what percent of the time you would actually have need for the extra gears and when they would not be necessary. Like for what purpose would your bikes be primarily used? Would fulfilling that purpose be greatly assisted by the use of gears?

Either way you go, you cant go wrong with an Escape 2, though....It's a mighty fine bike!
Originally Posted by a1penguin
Fuji and Giant make nice bikes. As these are not considered "premium" brands, they may be a bit less expensive than the big three (Trek, Specialized, Cannondale). It's also new model season and you might be able to find sales on 2012 or fire sales on 2011 models. When I was bike shopping this past spring, I found that Specialized charged even more than it's competitors for similarly equipped bikes. YMMV.

I think the single speed would serve your needs well.
Ok, think I'm narrowing down the options here. This is what I'm looking at so far..

HYBRID

Giant escape 2/3
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/....2/8910/48614/

Motobecane Cafe Sprint

SINGLE SPEEDS

Fuji Declaration (like the kilo much better)
https://www.fujibikes.com/bike/details/declaration-usa

Mercier Kilo TT/TT PRO - currently sold out both
https://bikesdirect.com/products/merc...ott_pro_xi.htm

Last edited by SeanGee; 08-15-12 at 09:37 AM.
Old 08-15-12, 10:56 AM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, think I'm narrowing down the options here. This is what I'm looking at so far..

HYBRID

Giant escape 2/3
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/....2/8910/48614/

Motobecane Cafe Sprint

SINGLE SPEEDS

Fuji Declaration (like the kilo much better)
https://www.fujibikes.com/bike/details/declaration-usa

Mercier Kilo TT/TT PRO - currently sold out both
https://bikesdirect.com/products/merc...ott_pro_xi.htm

Hey there Sean,

From experience, all I can advise at this point, is to make certain that you get your GF's bicycle in person while she's there to personally witness and inform. Her opinion should be highly considered with respect to the bike that she will be riding.

The only ways in which her opinion may change afterwards, would be due either to your selecting an obviously much better bike, or the fact that there's some personal mechanical issue with the bike. Fit should not be a problem, since she's going to be right there in the shop mounting and test-riding bikes.

What you don't want is a GF who feels as though she was removed from the decision making process...

Trust me, you really don't want that!

PS.

You should get your bike, first!

Colors matching is NOT as important as being able to match the performance features on the two bikes. Your bike will be the standard from which she selects her bike...She should be allowed even a bit better, if she's a good girl!

Last edited by SlimRider; 08-15-12 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-15-12, 11:32 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
What brands are sold in your favorite bike shop?
Old 08-15-12, 12:26 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
What brands are sold in your favorite bike shop?
Ya really gotta stop banging your head like that!

One day ya just might dislodge something critical!
Old 08-15-12, 12:54 PM
SHOFINE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 15 Posts
The Bike Zone in Covington has Trek, Giant & Releigh. They gladly ordered my Sawyer & match the price of a store in Atlanta. They were so much more helpful than any of the other stores I've been to.
Old 08-15-12, 01:16 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SHOFINE
The Bike Zone in Covington has Trek, Giant & Releigh. They gladly ordered my Sawyer & match the price of a store in Atlanta. They were so much more helpful than any of the other stores I've been to.
Hey!

Raleigh carries the Detour 4.5 in both the ladies and gents models. You might be able to swing a deal on two bikes paid in cash.

Also Raleigh carries the single speed called, the "Back Alley". It's a very popular bike amongst the singles/fixies crowd. At this time of the year, things in the bicycle business begin to taper off. Look for some type of "end-of-the-season" deal. Don't say it openly, just act like it.

Yeah, I think the Shofine guy has it right! Hit the Bike Zone and see just what's available.

Trek's got the Earl single speed, too! However, usually you end up paying slightly more for Trek's stuff. It's very good stuff though! Go checkout Raleigh's stuff first!

Last edited by SlimRider; 08-15-12 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-15-12, 04:37 PM
SeanGee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very good points guys. I've definitely discussed this with my gf and arranged on Saturday we'll go check out a few bike shops, including bike zone, and show her what I like and see if that works for her. If not, at least we can see what fits her as you guys have already mentioned!! I'll repost once we look at the bikes! All the info is much appreciated guys!
Old 08-19-12, 09:19 AM
SeanGee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guys, i went to one of my local bike shops yesterday...to my surprise I liked the road bike the most (giant defy entry model medium frame $650). My gf liked the giant escape 1 (medium frame) which they are selling for $499. i showed the the aero bars which she found to be really cool and she really enjoyed the feel of the bike. She also rode a road bike but wasn't quite comfortable with it yet. So, I narrowed down her bike to the escape 1 - case closed there. I also rode an escape 2 and 3 and enjoyed the bike very much but like the seating position and feel of the road bike a tad better (really enjoyed the grips and low profile of the defy).

So, I'm wondering if getting a hybrid for myself with some earo bars and mixing up the grips will give me the alternative grips I would like for long riding and somewhat simulation of a road bike. My other option is to just the the road bike but my concerns lie with us not having matching bikes. Do you guys think this will matter?? I know the road bikes are a good bit faster than the hybrid and I want to be able to ride with my gf but tbh I'm sure I'll be riding a good bit faster than my gf anyways so on either bike I would have to gear down to make it harder on myself per say....any thoughts on this??

I still haven't made it to bike zone on the north shore to check out the Raleighs but I plan to make it this week sometime.

Everyone's thoughts really helps. Thanks guys.

PS - I ruled out single gear bikes because i think my/gf needs lie elsewhere. Thanks again for the recommendations SlimRider.

Last edited by SeanGee; 08-19-12 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-19-12, 09:37 AM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Sounds like you really liked the Defy, so why not just get it? When you and your gf plan to ride together, you could always take off earlier in the opposite direction then meet back up with her and ride at her pace to cool down.
Old 08-19-12, 06:19 PM
Bunnicula

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would agree, if you like the Defy then get it. Roadies and hybrids CAN ride together, lol. I've ridden my road bike with a friend who rides a heavy mountain bike. When I ride at a casual or moderate pace he can keep up just fine. The Escape isn't a slow bike by any means, it's certainly faster than my friend's mountain bike. She should be just fine.
Old 08-19-12, 11:20 PM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Definitely go with the Defy. I bet you'll be taking solo rides and you won't be happy with the hybrid after the second solo ride. There's no reason you can't go cycling with your gf, you just select a lower gear and let her select the pace. Or maybe you'll be struggling to keep up with her blistering pace :-) Congrats on shopping together and finding bikes you both like. You owe us picks when you have the bikes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.