Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Trying to decide between Trek f/x 2 or Trek DS 8.2

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-13, 10:39 AM
cnh624

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am a 5'10" mom who's on her way to hear goal weight (just 15 more to shed!) wanting a one size fits all bicycle to ride for exercise to lose weight, solo and with my kids, two to three times a year I participate in a sprint triathlon (notice I didn't say compete because I'm not cin a position to train enough to be competitve but train enough to finish the 10-20 miles each race requires) we also go camping and ride the bicycles at the campground (generally on a paved road but occasionally there are hard dirt trails that provide a cut through from one area of the campground to another). I don't want to ride on mountain trails. I want to a fast, comfy ride. I would eventually like to build up to doing day trips on the Natchez Trace (20-30 mile bike rides). I rode a Trek f/x 7.2 men's version 20" but haven't ridden the DS. Our LBS didn't have the DS or the FX in my size to ride so I drove 2 hours to Jackson, MS to test ride there. Our LBS does have a Giant DS that I haven't ridden yet. How much heavier is the DS than the FX and which way should I go? 95% of my riding will be in my neighborhood and surrounding area on roads that are paved but have potholes and tree roots pushing up the road in places. Should I just go with the f/x? My hesitation with the DS is how long/far can I ride comfortably on the DS, is the 10 miles in a sprint triathlon which has a fat tire category going to feel like an eternity? (It did in 2008 when I did my first one on my husband's Schwinn Sidewinder!" and I was younger and in better shape back then!) Or is the DS truly "fly over the roads" as the Trek advertising claims? Would love to hear thoughts opinions. Oh and I have a used bought off Craigs list Trek road bike that is 60cm (too big for me and not a joy EVER! but a bargain at $200 that I've used the past two years for triathlons but I don't love it even after the LBS made some modifications to it and plan to sell it ASAP) but I won't ride it for just fun like I want to do with the f/x or ds. Thanks!
Old 04-20-13, 01:28 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Suspension forks are heavy .. decide if they are that important..
Old 04-22-13, 01:50 PM
cnh624

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sadly I don't even know the purpose of suspension forks

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Suspension forks are heavy .. decide if they are that important..
so are they necessary?
Old 04-22-13, 02:34 PM
DocsDad

Bikes: 2020 Trek Roscoe 8, 2016 Trek 520 Disc, 2013 Trek 7.2 FX, 2010 Trek 4300 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cnh624
so are they necessary?
Only if you feel you will do enough trail riding to justify the extra weight (effort).

Since you don't intend the use the bike on rough trails, it sounds like you would be better off with the 7.2. It's set up for smooth surfaces and it will be faster and generally lighter than a suspension bike like the 8.2. If you want to do a variety of light trails and wanted to soften the bumps, than the 8.2 might be in order.

I have the 7.2 and use it on 99.9% pavement with an occasional gravel road. Its perfect for my needs.
Old 04-23-13, 02:53 PM
TrekDS.Commuter

Bikes: Trek 8.6 DS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought my wife a trek Neko. Have you considered them?
Old 04-23-13, 03:49 PM
Bunnicula

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd go with the FX, but much prefer a 7.4 or 7.3. You can often find FXs for sale used, as a lot of people move up to road bikes from the hybrids.

Try a Cannondale Quick 4 also, if you have a dealer near you.

These bikes are fine for light dirt/gravel paths, and way smoother/lighter on the road than a bike with a suspension fork.