Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Should a high quality very costly bike be based upon ability? Not cash in hand?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Should a high quality very costly bike be based upon ability? Not cash in hand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-13, 05:53 PM
Vicegrip

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If regular standard grade cyclists did not buy "expensive" bikes there would be little to no access to high end bikes. Most riders are standard grade with only a rare few that are elite riders. The dictates of the economy of scale would compress the top end down and the truly high end top performing bikes would become very rare and even more out of reach to even elite cyclists. Rejoice the n00b on the high end bike. His financial sacrifice brings a greater wealth of cycling equipment to us all. All hail the over consumer! Add to this how nice it is to get something you wanted and to use it and have to work as well as you expected.
Old 06-17-13, 06:45 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by SolitaryRider

. (Not to mention that if you train on a $10K bike, yopu must REALLY feel crappy if you don't win every race...and especially if some guy on a $1000 bike beats you out! )
For me, racing is about doing the best I can, with what I have. So losing doesn't matter that much in the end. I work the whole equation, whcih includes equipment as well as training, and the results are what they are.

I learned a long time ago, no one cares about my race results, other than immediate family, and they're just pretending to care to be polite. So as long as I'm happy with my effort, I'm happy, even when the guy on the single speed drops me.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 06-17-13, 07:04 PM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A decent aluminum frame, carbon forks and 105 for everyone.

Done.
Old 06-17-13, 08:36 PM
sleepy

Bikes: All have flats.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bigfred
A decent American steel frame, carbon forks and 105 for everyone.

Done.
better!
Old 06-17-13, 08:47 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I know guys who install a $1700 power meter on a $800 frame.
Old 06-17-13, 08:51 PM
sleepy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Power Meters sound dumb.
Dumb
Dumb
Dumb
Old 06-17-13, 08:53 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
Not dumb if you want to go faster
Old 06-17-13, 08:57 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I know guys who install a $1700 power meter on a $800 frame.
Makes perfect sense to me.
Old 06-17-13, 08:58 PM
halfspeed

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sleepy
better!
Except for you and SolitaryDude. You guys get 1972 Schwinn Varsities so you can continue to feel frugal.
Old 06-17-13, 09:04 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by halfspeed
Except for you and SolitaryDude. You guys get 1972 Schwinn Varsities so you can continue to feel frugal.
A good ol' boneshaker should do the trick... so they can get back to the roots of cycling. No chain, no tyres, recyclable wood and iron. What else could they ask for?
Old 06-17-13, 09:17 PM
sleepy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
Not dumb if you want to go faster
Oh yeah, let's study graphs and watts instead of riding.
SO MUCH FUN

I remember the time I went riding with this cat who just installed the power meter on his carbon bike. Smoked that foo' going up the Crest on my ebay Scattante rig.
Too busy looking at the readout instead of just chillin' and spinnin'.
That said, the Scattante was a terrible bike. Terrible. Stiff, and that's about it. Stiff.
Old 06-17-13, 09:26 PM
sleepy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Vulcan 531 Steel would do the trick. Managed to get 2nd place for a Charity Alleycat.
I wonder if you would be able to enjoy a simple ferrous bike, w/o bells, whistles, or cyberspace capability. Possible for you enjoy something that doesn't involve looking down?
Old 06-17-13, 09:28 PM
blarnie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigfred
A decent aluminum frame, carbon forks and 105 for everyone.
Oh, Lord no.
Old 06-17-13, 09:30 PM
halfspeed

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sleepy
Vulcan 531 Steel would do the trick. Managed to get 2nd place for a Charity Alleycat.
I wonder if you would be able to enjoy a simple ferrous bike, w/o bells, whistles, or cyberspace capability. Possible for you enjoy something that doesn't involve looking down?
I've put a lot of miles on old steel. '77 Trek TX-500, '86 Trek 620, an old Bianchi, a less old Bianchi, a Mercian... I sold them all because my modern bikes are just way more fun. No sense in keeping bikes around that I don't ride any more. I haven't had a bell on my bike since I was child.
Old 06-17-13, 09:30 PM
sleepy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blarnie
Oh, Lord no.
I know, rite?
BIKESDIRECT FOR EVERYONE! THIS IS HOW COMMUNISM WINS

American Steel.
Old 06-17-13, 09:31 PM
sleepy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
. I haven't had a bell on my bike since I was child.
I have a hard time believing that.
Old 06-17-13, 09:38 PM
Rollinrock

Bikes: 2010 Trek 3700 2013Specialized Secteur Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh

That said it does make sense for newbies to put in some time, and work their way up, before making major expenditures. Not because they dont' "deserve" a nice bike, but it's a good idea to take some time and figure out what you actually need and want.
I completely agree. I am a newbie. been riding for 3 years now. I started off with a mountain bike but after hitting some serious trails, I realized that that was just too much for me. I traded that bike in for a hybrid since I thought I could have the best of both worlds. After 2 years on the hybrid I decided that since 90 % of my riding was on the road, I needed a road bike! And a road bike is indeed what I needed and wish I had bought it 3 years ago. I am so glad that the other 2 bikes were $600 - $700 instead of thousands. I think it takes some time to really find your style.
Old 06-17-13, 09:59 PM
buffalowings

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The difference between high end and lower end road bikes is about 5-6lbs max. Keep the shifting well adjusted, make sure the wheels are true, bearings on the wheels, crankset spin freely, chain oiled, and tires pumped up. Assuming everyone has a drop bar, 23-25c slicks, train and go race. You probably wouldn't get a podium finish, but you won't be last. That 5-6lb difference won't make or break you.... and if you do make a podium finish, there is always the next category to compete in.

Last edited by buffalowings; 06-17-13 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06-17-13, 10:04 PM
Rob13

Bikes: 2013 Specialized S Works SL4 Keyline Red

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I pay $1200 a month on health insurance for my family that's $14400 per year, for just in case if something happens. I go see my doctor maybe twice a year. I have over 10k on my current bike, this is money well spent and it guarantees me a healthier me. I was diagnosed with high blood pressure 3 years ago and I weighed 215 lbs, I was muscular but my heart and my cardiovascular was crap. Now after 3 years of riding, I'm 178lbs and lean as hell, I still lift weights and I feel great. I just had a physical and my doctor said I'm healthy as a 20 yr old. You can't put a price on health, that's why I have a 10k bike. ALSO because I can, it's the fruits of my labor. I don't need a big house, but I have one. I don't need my BMW's but I have them, I don't need a $3000 camera, to take a picture of my bike, but I have it. I have them because I'm freakin worth it
Old 06-17-13, 10:16 PM
buffalowings

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedonism Enjoy your life but within your limits. The online forums make this problem worse, because there are lots of people out there with bikes better than mine. (read: the hot r' not thread: unless you spend big $$$ with all the brand name stuff tacked on, chinarello, campagnolo, hed, chris king, zipps, I have none of that on my bike, nashbar saddle, carbon fiber seatpost, 1550 gram aluminum wheelset, but when I'm trying my hardest, hammering down the flats, I'm not thinking about that 4lb difference). I only realize the difference when I am surfing bike forums and reading the newest marketing mumbo jumbo disguised as a review.

Last edited by buffalowings; 06-17-13 at 10:22 PM.
Old 06-17-13, 10:18 PM
SolitaryRider
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
For me, racing is about doing the best I can, with what I have. So losing doesn't matter that much in the end. I work the whole equation, whcih includes equipment as well as training, and the results are what they are.

I learned a long time ago, no one cares about my race results, other than immediate family, and they're just pretending to care to be polite. So as long as I'm happy with my effort, I'm happy, even when the guy on the single speed drops me.
That's a good attitude- If you're going to race, the value you get from racing has to matter to YOU, or there'd be no point to it. Now, not to rain on your parade, but if you're not winning, then it would seem that all the expensive high-tech crapola is not really doing anything for you. I mean, you could put in your best effort; train with a plan/intervals; and enjoy the process....without all the fancy gadgetry, no? So I don't see where you are ahead by having all the fancy high-tech stuff.

I know a guy who can lift 400 lbs. on a weight machine in the gym. Hand him 150 lb. free weight...and, well...the results qualify as entertainment!
Old 06-17-13, 10:37 PM
halfspeed

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Bigot:
"A person who regards his own faith and views in matters of
religion as unquestionably right, and any belief or
opinion opposed to or differing from them as unreasonable
or wicked. In an extended sense, a person who is
intolerant of opinions which conflict with his own, as in
politics or morals; one obstinately and blindly devoted to
his own church, party, belief, or opinion.
[1913 Webster]"

There's more than one way to enjoy a bike ride.
Old 06-17-13, 10:51 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by buffalowings
The difference between high end and lower end road bikes is about 5-6lbs max. Keep the shifting well adjusted, make sure the wheels are true, bearings on the wheels, crankset spin freely, chain oiled, and tires pumped up. Assuming everyone has a drop bar, 23-25c slicks, train and go race. You probably wouldn't get a podium finish, but you won't be last. That 5-6lb difference won't make or break you.... and if you do make a podium finish, there is always the next category to compete in.
Good shifters, bearing and cranks aren't cheap. The 5-6lbs may not matter, but the "cheap" pieces may not be. Unless of course you have a full bike workshop, but that isn't cheap either.

Let's be honest here. This is a not a particularly cheap sport. The only way to go "cheap" is to invest a lot of time in repair and scavenging, which not everyone has the skills or time for. The debate largely comes down to what you define as "expensive".

Here's a more interesting question: Does your bike cost more than your car?
Old 06-17-13, 10:58 PM
buffalowings

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsa103
Good shifters, bearing and cranks aren't cheap. The 5-6lbs may not matter, but the "cheap" pieces may not be. Unless of course you have a full bike workshop, but that isn't cheap either.

Let's be honest here. This is a not a particularly cheap sport. The only way to go "cheap" is to invest a lot of time in repair and scavenging, which not everyone has the skills or time for. The debate largely comes down to what you define as "expensive".

Here's a more interesting question: Does your bike cost more than your car?
I am not legally authorized to operate a motorized vehicle. Too many DUI's/DWI's when I was only a youngin. The bicycle is my primary form of transportation, but previous incarcerations aside, I suppose you are right, too much time on my hands so I am free to tinker and mess with my hardware, diagnose, and try and fix any issues (or do some preventative care to slow the wear and tear). That's why this hobby has been affordable for me. Guess I'm lucky to have enough time on my hands, and enough funding to pursue my passions, I would prefer this to having too little time to ride my really nice expensive bike.

Last edited by buffalowings; 06-17-13 at 11:02 PM.
Old 06-18-13, 12:24 AM
NathanC
Shut up legs

Bikes: Merckx

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SolitaryRider
That's a good attitude- If you're going to race, the value you get from racing has to matter to YOU, or there'd be no point to it. Now, not to rain on your parade, but if you're not winning, then it would seem that all the expensive high-tech crapola is not really doing anything for you. I mean, you could put in your best effort; train with a plan/intervals; and enjoy the process....without all the fancy gadgetry, no? So I don't see where you are ahead by having all the fancy high-tech stuff.

I know a guy who can lift 400 lbs. on a weight machine in the gym. Hand him 150 lb. free weight...and, well...the results qualify as entertainment!

Have you used a Power Meter to train? If no, you have no clue what you're talking about.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.