Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Pisses me off

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Pisses me off

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-14, 09:39 AM
chillspike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pisses me off

New Bike, dahon speed p8, has never ever touched the road yet and I'm already fixing it. I wanted to attach an LED light strip to the front handle bars by way of the grips. So I unscrew the grip and pull out the plug to see how I could attach this light and when I go to put the screws back on one of them will not catch and the other didn't go in straight (my fault). I brought my Allen wrench to its limit (it cork screwed) trying to tighten one so the grip would not turn but I must have stripped the screw because it is turning in circles. So, fuming, I go online and order some new Biologic grips. Go back to my bike to take off the second grip, remove the first screw with the Allen wrench. Go to remove the screw from the tip of the Allen wrench and it's stuck. I'm mean I-can't-even-get-this-off-with-pliers stuck. This Allen wrench is part of a portable bicycle tool set I bought. If I don't get this screw off, we're talking between perfectly new grips and a new tool set, maybe $45-$50 wasted right there. All because I just wanted to unscrew my handlebar grips.

Never even had this bike on the rode yet.
Old 03-16-14, 09:54 AM
Thumpic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Welcome to the world of bicycle wrenching. The longer you work (learn) on your bike; the more money you'll save. You're just behind the curve right now. One or two flips and you can generate a fund to maintain and increase your fleet.
Old 03-16-14, 09:54 AM
chillspike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just went outside and took a hammer and my frustrations out on Allen wrench with the secondary goal of knocking the screw off. Sparks literally flew but no joy.

See attached photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (98.5 KB, 124 views)
Old 03-16-14, 09:55 AM
jgedwa
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
We have all been there. I recommend walking away from it for a bit. Go think of other things. Then when return to it, you will be a little bit smarter than you were. Stripped threads are gone, but I bet you can figure out a way to get the bolt off the end of the allen wrench without too much trouble. Good luck to you.

Jim
Old 03-16-14, 09:59 AM
chillspike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Thumpic
Welcome to the world of bicycle wrenching. The longer you work (learn) on your bike; the more money you'll save. You're just behind the curve right now. One or two flips and you can generate a fund to maintain and increase your fleet.
Thanks for the needed encouragement! I have to not lose it.
Old 03-16-14, 09:59 AM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by chillspike
. . . when I go to put the screws back on one of them will not catch and the other didn't go in straight (my fault). I brought my Allen wrench to its limit (it cork screwed) trying to tighten one so the grip would not turn but I must have stripped the screw because it is turning in circles. . . . Go to remove the screw from the tip of the Allen wrench and it's stuck. I'm mean I-can't-even-get-this-off-with-pliers stuck. This Allen wrench is part of a portable bicycle tool set . . .
Just curious, are you sure you know how to use that tool correctly?
Old 03-16-14, 10:02 AM
Thumpic

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Just went outside and took a hammer and my frustrations out on Allen wrench with the secondary goal of knocking the screw off. Sparks literally flew but no joy.

See attached photo.
Just guessing, but I think you've got a combination of cheap wrenches and choosing the wrong size (1 size too small) tool. The set screw and tool are both goners. Take a break; buy a good set of wrenches.......and start over.
Old 03-16-14, 10:02 AM
chillspike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jgedwa
We have all been there. I recommend walking away from it for a bit. Go think of other things. Then when return to it, you will be a little bit smarter than you were. Stripped threads are gone, but I bet you can figure out a way to get the bolt off the end of the allen wrench without too much trouble. Good luck to you.

Jim

Thats what I'm doing. Stepping out for awhile. Ordered the new grips, though.
Old 03-16-14, 11:03 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
The problem is that you have a low quality, soft allen key. It twisted in the bolt jamming and crushing the points of the hex into the flats of the bolt.

Like most things mechanical the solution lies not in brute force, but finesse. Force got you into this mess, use brains to get out.

Use a pair of pliers, or a vise to hold the screw and turn (force if necesary) the hex key back in the opposite direction to how you jammed it. In this case, since it sounds like it jammed taking the bolt out, you'll turn the wrench to the right to free it.

Thereafter, buy and use only good quality hex keys for anything except light duty work

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-16-14, 11:42 AM
lopek77
Banned

Bikes: With round 700c & 26" wheels

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Using undersized allen key is the biggest issue...not the quality of the material. Some sizes in ISO and ANSI keys are so close size wise that are really easy to mix-up if we don't pay attention.
Old 03-16-14, 11:55 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
Originally Posted by lopek77
Using undersized allen key is the biggest issue...not the quality of the material. Some sizes in ISO and ANSI keys are so close size wise that are really easy to mix-up if we don't pay attention.
I prefer to look at the evidence before forming an opinion. The photo clearly shows a twisted and bent key, a reliable indicator of low quality. OTOH, he had a metric tool kit, and metric hardware, so there's little opportunity to pick the wrong size.

So of course, it could have been the wrong size key, but it most definitely was a soft key. Possibly a combination of both.

In any case, the main intent of my post was how to retrieve his bolt.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 03-16-14 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-16-14, 12:04 PM
lopek77
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

See attached photo.
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I prefer to look at the evidence before forming an opinion. The photo clearly shows a twisted and bent key, a reliable indicator of low quality. OTOH, he had a metric tool kit, and metric hardware, so there's little opportunity to pick the wrong size.

So of course, it could have been the wrong size key, but it most definitely was a soft key. Possibly a combination of both.

In any case, the main intent of my post was how to retrieve his bolt.
Here lol Other tool was also used...
Old 03-16-14, 12:42 PM
AnkleWork

Originally Posted by FBinNY
. . . he had a metric tool kit, and metric hardware . . .
+1
Old 03-16-14, 02:42 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
That allen set screw is toast, the threads are messed up.

Hit it again...
Old 03-16-14, 02:52 PM
lopek77
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hahahahahaha...The real question is Will it blend?
Old 03-16-14, 02:59 PM
chillspike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I bought the biologic arx short/long grips. I hope they come with installation instructions. I don't want to screw up the install.

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone. Feeling very much the newb today.
Old 03-16-14, 03:06 PM
chillspike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just guessing, but I think you've got a combination of cheap wrenches and choosing the wrong size (1 size too small) tool. The set screw and tool are both goners. Take a break; buy a good set of wrenches.......and start over.
Tried one size up and it doesn't fit. One size down, too small. The size I need, still has the screw on it and that is not coming off for nothing. I have to buy a new pocket tool set. Unbelievable.
Old 03-16-14, 03:38 PM
jgedwa
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
You can get that screw off of there. No way it is on forever. Jim
Old 03-16-14, 03:50 PM
chess.gary

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This intrigued me. Does this mean buying parts, assembling a bicycle, and selling the finished product for a price higher than the total cost of the parts? Or does it mean buying a bicycle and trying to sell off the individual parts? Or buying a bicycle, selling off the good individual parts, buying cheaper versions to replace the sold parts, and selling this new bicycle? Or something completely different?

Thanks, and best regards.
Old 03-16-14, 05:07 PM
Thumpic

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Tried one size up and it doesn't fit. One size down, too small. The size I need, still has the screw on it and that is not coming off for nothing. I have to buy a new pocket tool set. Unbelievable.
Sounds like you were using SAE sizes instead of metric; or vice versa........
Old 03-16-14, 05:17 PM
Thumpic

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
[QUOTE=chess.gary;16583160]This intrigued me. Does this mean buying parts, assembling a bicycle, and selling the finished product for a price higher than the total cost of the parts? Or does it mean buying a bicycle and trying to sell off the individual parts? Or buying a bicycle, selling off the good individual parts, buying cheaper versions to replace the sold parts, and selling this new bicycle? Or something completely different?

Thanks, and best regards.[/Q

The short answer is....yes....LOL! Flipping is buying something that needs repair/rehab, performing that repair/rehab, then selling it for a profit. Sometimes a flip can be as simple as hosing off your item and then advertising it. Sometimes guys don't even hose them off. All of the examples you listed are valid forms of flipping. The main things that you need are knowledge of your items, your market and skills.

The simplest flip is a complete but neglected bike. Completely and thoroughly clean the entire bike. Neatness counts.

Replace all the consumables (tires, tubes, bar tape or grips, cables and housing, usually seats, sometimes brake pads) clean rebuild/repack/replace all the bearings and adjust everything to top performance. Sometimes all of that is not necessary.

Read these forums and you'll have a solid idea of what it takes. Good luck!!

Last edited by Thumpic; 03-16-14 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-16-14, 05:27 PM
chillspike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jgedwa
You can get that screw off of there. No way it is on forever. Jim
I took it outside and tried to hit it off with a hammer. No dice. I could mail it to you and you can try.
Old 03-16-14, 05:52 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
If it was me, I'd take out my handy dandy rotary cutter, and cut it off, Allen wrench and all. At least then you could fold it up again, and go along as if nothing happened.

Old 03-16-14, 07:14 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
It's not very clear in the photo, but is the allen key twisted in the direction consistent with over-tightening? If so, I'd say that's one of the only ways to get a set screw really stuck -- by torquing on it after it has bottomed out in a hole.
Old 03-16-14, 08:25 PM
AnkleWork

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
It's not very clear in the photo, but is the allen key twisted in the direction consistent with over-tightening? If so, I'd say that's one of the only ways to get a set screw really stuck -- by torquing on it after it has bottomed out in a hole.
Looks like it. Good catch.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.