Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Wabi classic

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-17, 08:25 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Wabi classic

Are there other companies out there with comfort geometry frames that compete with Wabi? I'm looking for frames with not too much handlebar drop due to my back issues. Any suggestions?

Dave
Old 07-22-17, 03:31 PM
Sully151

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 9 (29), Trek Fuel EX 8 (26) Trek Project One Road.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Nope.

Maybe flat bars and a riser stem?
Old 07-23-17, 07:12 PM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by Sully151
Nope.

Maybe flat bars and a riser stem?
Figured I would ask If things get bad enough, I might have to switch my current bike over to a flat bar with a rise in it. Got a 17 degree stem on it now, with a 25.4mm clamp. Maybe some lightish MTB bars would work? I currently have hooded Tektro RL340 brake levers, would those need to be changed too? Might look funny on a flat bar

Dave
Old 07-23-17, 07:34 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2611 Post(s)
Liked 3,128 Times in 1,645 Posts
You can use your brake levers on the bars, it might just look weird. If you're into those levers and an upright position, you might want to check out mustache bars.
Old 07-23-17, 07:35 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Also, subscribed. I've got my eye on a Wabi Classic for a no-nonsense steel fixed gear road machine that I can ride in bad weather, commute on, train on and otherwise abuse. I really like the Steamroller and Rush (very different bikes I know) but it just kills me that they only have bosses for one water bottle. I know there are solutions but I want two sets of bosses.
Old 07-23-17, 08:18 PM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by TMonk
Also, subscribed. I've got my eye on a Wabi Classic for a no-nonsense steel fixed gear road machine that I can ride in bad weather, commute on, train on and otherwise abuse. I really like the Steamroller and Rush (very different bikes I know) but it just kills me that they only have bosses for one water bottle. I know there are solutions but I want two sets of bosses.
Thanks for the tip. Atm I'm off the bike for a while due to a back injury. Trying to figure out if it is due to my riding position on the bike or just a recurrence of the original injury from a few years ago. My frame is on the small side (headtube is around 6" long, which is close to the dimensions on the Wabi classic 55cn frame). I'm 6', and might lean more towards the 58cm, since its headtube is about 7", which is closer to my more comfortable geared bike. Been thru a couple handlebar/ height raising iterations, can't seem to get it right.. I might have to bite the bullet on a wabi classic.

Another option for your situation would be to find an old beater Schwinn bike and convert it Then you won't worry about the weather. I started off that way on this bike but wound up painting it, so who knows what will happen!

Dave
Old 07-23-17, 09:02 PM
Sully151

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
I have a hard time trusting the Wabi sizing. For someone who is 6' tall, they recommend a 55cm. That seems a shade small, especially if you have back issues.
Old 07-23-17, 09:16 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Yeah they seem to be sized small, based upon recommendations. If you go to the tech specs for the individual framesets you can see the actual dimensions. All I pay attention to in a frame anymore is HT and (effective) TT length. I could get away w a 52 or 55 w the Wabi Classic - I'm a bit of an in-betweener.

Originally Posted by bonsai171
Another option for your situation would be to find an old beater Schwinn bike and convert it Then you won't worry about the weather. I started off that way on this bike but wound up painting it, so who knows what will happen!

Dave
Ahh I hear ya, but I ride enough to make a Wabi Classic worth it . At $400 for the frameset it's right at my price point for a bike with this intended application. If I'm gonna hustle it up and down the road I'd like it to be at least a little nice
Old 07-24-17, 12:46 PM
ceelint
^that guy^

Bikes: '17 Wabi Classic, '17 Trek DS3, '12 S-Works Tarmac SL

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 51 Posts
I'm 6'2 and ride a 58cm Classic. Seat tube measures 24.5" (62cm)
Old 07-24-17, 12:50 PM
Euthyphro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a wabi classic and like it a lot. I don't know of comparable frames from different manufacturers, but I imagine you'd be happy with a wabi.

One thing to keep in mind if you want to ride a wabi in the rain: the fender mounts are "hidden" which means they are on the inside of the fork and drop outs. Fenders that have thick mounting tabs (like Portland Design Work fenders) don't fit in between the fork and the hubs. You might have luck with different fenders and low flange hubs, but I haven't tried that.
Old 07-25-17, 07:20 AM
Unkle Rico

Bikes: CENTURION / LOOK / Bianchi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
My Steamroller came with 2 pairs of bosses -- The OP had a second set installed by a local frame builder, it was fairly cheap to do apparently and didn't require any painting etc.

Old 07-25-17, 08:49 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by Unkle Rico
My Steamroller came with 2 pairs of bosses -- The OP had a second set installed by a local frame builder, it was fairly cheap to do apparently and didn't require any painting etc.
Thanks for the tip - I'll look into that.
Old 07-25-17, 02:26 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
I'm 6' 2" and ride a Wabi Special and a Classic. Both are 61's. I like the bigger frame because it stretches me out a little more. I'd rather have a frame that fits than a smaller frame and have to hike the seat up a mile and still have a cramped cockpit. I find I rarely ride my smaller Pinarello any more because the Wabi's are so much more comfortable to ride.
Old 07-25-17, 04:17 PM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by drlogik
I'm 6' 2" and ride a Wabi Special and a Classic. Both are 61's. I like the bigger frame because it stretches me out a little more. I'd rather have a frame that fits than a smaller frame and have to hike the seat up a mile and still have a cramped cockpit. I find I rarely ride my smaller Pinarello any more because the Wabi's are so much more comfortable to ride.
I'm curious about the Wabi special. What are the difference between that and the classic besides the lugs?

Dave
Old 07-25-17, 05:50 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Not much is really different The Classic "may" be a bit nimbler but that's probably my perception because it has bullhorn bars versus the drop bars on the Special and it also has their lighter wheels.

If I had to choose between the two to keep one bike, I'd keep the Special, because of the lugged construction. It looks retro yet modern at the same time. The workmanship on the lugs on the Special is first rate BTW.

The Classic is my "fun ride" bike. It's super light and responsive and dang it's a gas to ride in an urban environment! The Special is my road bike. It has become my "favorite mistress" and displaced my Pinarello for road rides out to 40 miles, and there's rolling hills where I live...no problem!

I'd go for the Special if I were you. It's a beautifully built bike and the ride is unquestionably the smoothest I have ever ridden in over 40 years of riding on a dozen or more fine bikes. Plus the guys that bought Wabi from Richard are super to deal with. Very quick, polite and helpful.
Old 07-25-17, 08:26 PM
bonsai171

Not much is really different The Classic "may" be a bit nimbler but that's probably my perception because it has bullhorn bars versus the drop bars on the Special and it also has their lighter wheels.

If I had to choose between the two to keep one bike, I'd keep the Special, because of the lugged construction. It looks retro yet modern at the same time. The workmanship on the lugs on the Special is first rate BTW.

The Classic is my "fun ride" bike. It's super light and responsive and dang it's a gas to ride in an urban environment! The Special is my road bike. It has become my "favorite mistress" and displaced my Pinarello for road rides out to 40 miles, and there's rolling hills where I live...no problem!

I'd go for the Special if I were you. It's a beautifully built bike and the ride is unquestionably the smoothest I have ever ridden in over 40 years of riding on a dozen or more fine bikes. Plus the guys that bought Wabi from Richard are super to deal with. Very quick, polite and helpful.
I'm now on my third steel frame road bike-a Schwinn Letour (also lugged) and like the way they look. Been looking for an excuse to call Wabi too, but will probably hold off on that for a little while and save up some more $$.

Dave
Old 07-28-17, 11:03 AM
Philasteve

Bikes: Surly CreamRoller. 98 Giant Rincon. SE UVT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
\
Yeah I'm not sure how many shops do it. But I know it only takes a few minutes to drill and then use a rivnut tool to press in waterbottle bosses.
Old 07-28-17, 11:27 AM
bowzette

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My Lightning came with only one boss and I had one added. It was no big deal.
Old 07-28-17, 11:29 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by bowzette
My Lightning came with only one boss and I had one added. It was no big deal.
Did you use rivnuts? How is it holding up?
Old 07-28-17, 02:51 PM
Wspsux

Bikes: Waterford, Salsa, Rivendell

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Their bikes are too vertically oriented for me
Old 08-03-17, 07:13 PM
MidSouthBiker

Bikes: Mr.White Mr.Green Mr.Orange

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Newbie Here:
I bought the Wabi Special 2 years ago, and it has become the favorite of my bikes. I was really hesitant about buying online, sight unseen, at first, but Richard Snook was wonderful and spent a lot of time with me getting all the right measurements done. I heard the new guys who bought the company are also great.
Old 08-03-17, 11:17 PM
johnnytheboy

Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
i think i've said it before, but i'm really glad that a lot of people are coming to their senses and starting to ride bikes that actually fit them. it's so dumb seeing 2ft of seatpost on bikes and people saying how great it fits.
Old 08-03-17, 11:36 PM
Sully151

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnytheboy
i think i've said it before, but i'm really glad that a lot of people are coming to their senses and starting to ride bikes that actually fit them. it's so dumb seeing 2ft of seatpost on bikes and people saying how great it fits.
This is my biggest issue with buying a Wabi. I am worried that a 55cm will be so small, I will have a ton of seatpost and spacers and need risers just to be comfortable.

And the fact that I live at the top of a 2 mile climb... but I suppose that can be overcome.
Old 08-03-17, 11:47 PM
JuiceWillis

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sully151
This is my biggest issue with buying a Wabi. I am worried that a 55cm will be so small, I will have a ton of seatpost and spacers and need risers just to be comfortable.

And the fact that I live at the top of a 2 mile climb... but I suppose that can be overcome.
I am 6'1 but have long legs and arms (inseam of 36in). I did all my measurements in competitive cyclist and sent them over in an email to wabi. I also measured my track bike (which is a 58 w/ 130mm stem.) to mimic the same measurements for the wabi. I ended up with the 61 Wabi Lightning SE and a 120mm stem. It fits like a dream. I have a fistful of seatpost, the reach is good, and I don't feel cramped or too stretched out. Hell, I have a fixed crit coming up and I might even race it. Just take your measurements and send them over and you'll get a bike that fits.
Old 08-05-17, 11:38 AM
drlogik 

i'm really glad that a lot of people are coming to their senses and starting to ride bikes that actually fit them. it's so dumb seeing 2ft of seatpost on bikes and people saying how great it fits.
So true! If the seatpost sticks out more than a few inches that bike does not fit in my opinion. I have a Pinarello that is on the short side for me. I have the seatpost maxed out. It looks cool and all but the frame is too small and I am cramped in the cockpit. Just because one can get their legs to fit the frame doesn't mean the frame fits. The smaller the frame the SHORTER it is also. Raising the seat does not make the bike proportionately longer.

For taller riders the length of the bike is important also.

Heck, I've always wondered why bikes over, say 58cm do not get designed with bigger wheels...say a 725 or 750 wheel instead of a 700. One could design a larger size bike to proportionately fit better I would think. The cost of doing so would obviously be enormous for the wheel makers.

-

Last edited by drlogik; 08-05-17 at 11:43 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.