Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Interesting finds around the web

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-18, 03:57 PM
Monkeyfudger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haha, I’ve seen me take longer than that, nothing quite like that blind bit of panic when you fluff clipping in twice...

If they’re always going to rely on Ant+/Bluetooth then a track crank will always be unfit for purpose in my mind unless they do something different with the data. Perhaps a track specific PM as well as broadcasting on Ant+ as it does now should also be storing the data internally and start recording as soon as torque is applied so that torque and power can be analysed later.
Old 02-21-18, 04:39 PM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Standing start pickup time has less to do with a head unit "waking up" and more to do with the cranks rotating 2 full rotations (using 1 reed switch). That's how long it takes for a crank to calculate your cadence (time between each rotation). If you can complete 2 full rotations in 1 second, the head unit will start recording then.

2 reed switches helps because instead of 2 rotations being needed, you only need 2 HALF rotations...or 1 rotation
That would be true for magnet-based Cadence sensors, but is it true for accelerometer-based cadence? I know some of the pedal-based PM's supposedly record 30+ readings per crank revolution, I don't see why they would need two revolutions to start recording power.
Old 02-21-18, 05:04 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Monkeyfudger
Haha, I’ve seen me take longer than that, nothing quite like that blind bit of panic when you fluff clipping in twice...

If they’re always going to rely on Ant+/Bluetooth then a track crank will always be unfit for purpose in my mind unless they do something different with the data. Perhaps a track specific PM as well as broadcasting on Ant+ as it does now should also be storing the data internally and start recording as soon as torque is applied so that torque and power can be analysed later.
Yup. I recall seeing some custom power meters used by the British that were wired.

Wired is the way to go if you really care about scientific levels of data collection. Wireless is simply convenient and easy to install.

Originally Posted by jsk
That would be true for magnet-based Cadence sensors, but is it true for accelerometer-based cadence? I know some of the pedal-based PM's supposedly record 30+ readings per crank revolution, I don't see why they would need two revolutions to start recording power.
They may record 30+ times per revolution, but they need a time stamp in order to calculate elapsed time. I believe that time stamp is triggered every revolution. I don't know much about the accelerometer style. But, I'd like to know what is recording 30 times per revolution. Is it the head unit or the cranks? My guess is that they may be recording 30 times per revolution, but only transmitting the average of all 30 every revolution.

The way that many head units calculate cadence is that they receive torque readings every so often:

- 10NM @ 1:00:30
- 11NM @ 1:00:31
- 11NM @ 1:00:32
- 13NM @ 1:00:33

And then it says, "Thanks for the torque! I see that you (cranks) are sending me (head unit) torque every 1 second based on the elapsed time between each reading. I calculate your cadence to be 60RPM! From there I'll take that 60RPM and that torque and calculate your POWER!"

This calculation can be made after 2 readings and updates after every subsequent reading.
Old 02-21-18, 11:26 PM
carleton
Elitist

Ever wonder why some riders race international competition in their national team colors and other race for a pro team? Here's a good explanation why: https://www.beatcycling.club/en/blog...have-achieved/
Old 02-22-18, 12:09 PM
SyntaxMonstr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ever wonder why some riders race international competition in their national team colors and other race for a pro team? Here's a good explanation why: https://www.beatcycling.club/en/blog...have-achieved/
Or because their home nations suck! (Not bitter at all that Pakistan screwed me over...)

It'd actually be really interesting if trade teams got to compete in Olympiad events or world championships. Like yeah, most of them are largely alt-teams for national squads, but you'd get a wider variety of representation from countries that might have promising athletes but no support or programmes in place to send them abroad otherwise.
Old 02-23-18, 04:35 AM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Saw in my email today that Flo Cycling is going to start offering their 6 / 9 wheels in track configuration. Nice option at that price range.

On an aside... I ordered my front Walker Brothers disc at the end of December... and it still hasn't been shipped. They've had some growing pains/family issues, but we're far enough out now that I am beginning to whine online about it... unfortunate because I really like their discs.
Old 02-23-18, 08:14 PM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Olympic Speed Skating.
I just saw the 1000m men's race winning time was just under 1m 8s - according to the commentator the guys in this event see 2-1/4 g. In cycling most g-forces are resisted by the saddle whereas in skating all the g-force goes though the legs.

It used to be that speed skating was a perfect winter training for track cyclists (e.e. Heiden, Young) - I do not hear that anymore.
Old 02-23-18, 09:08 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Still its of crossover, at least in the Dutch team Laurine Van Riessen is a member of both the Dutch Olympic long track squad and the national sprint team.
Old 02-26-18, 03:02 AM
zizou

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Apparently this is the new Cervelo T5....not sure if any difference to the GB T5 that was used in Rio? The bars are Hope, nice to see them branching out into track parts - i love their kit for mountain biking.

Old 02-26-18, 09:32 AM
Poppit

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
It looks fast
Attached Images
Old 02-26-18, 11:41 AM
rensho3

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 700wheel
Olympic Speed Skating.
I just saw the 1000m men's race winning time was just under 1m 8s - according to the commentator the guys in this event see 2-1/4 g. In cycling most g-forces are resisted by the saddle whereas in skating all the g-force goes though the legs.

It used to be that speed skating was a perfect winter training for track cyclists (e.e. Heiden, Young) - I do not hear that anymore.
It used to work well for me. I lived I Michigan and the only way to ride a bike was on the old Racermate trainer, which worked quite well. Training in the basement staring at a 12" black and white TV and looking outside through a one of those basement windows that were placed at ground level so that in winter the snow obscured half of the window was just not as much fun as speed skating. Since Milwaukee had to the on 400 meter track, and it was not yet covered over, most of my skating was done on frozen ponds. The tracks were typically 6 laps/mile, and racing was pack style; kind of a scratch race on ice. When watching the pack style race at the Olympics it really back great memories. For me, bike racing in the summer was skating training, not the other way around. Besides riding the bike, we also spend a lot of time in the gym (a guys garage or at the community center) or a field doing dry land efforts. One of the more memorable was when we did broad jumps up Mt. Trashmore in Midland. And yes, it was the pile of stuff left in the dump. In the middle of summer the bonus was that you became insensitized to various odors. Good Times! I still miss it.
Old 02-26-18, 01:40 PM
Morelock

Is there going to be a pursuit specific T5?
The pictures above one has an integrated cockpit and Kenny's has a more "normal" stem/bar.
Old 02-26-18, 01:42 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Morelock
Is there going to be a pursuit specific T5?
The pictures above one has an integrated cockpit and Kenny's has a more "normal" stem/bar.
I wondered about that, too - but maybe in the smaller sizes there's no real way to achieve that raised TT/dropped stem detail.
Old 02-26-18, 06:48 PM
Godsight

Bikes: Felt TK FRD

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am counting a 66x14 combo on Laura's bike -__-

I am also of the opinion that smaller frame won't have the dropped stem/headtube junction for engineering reason. Laura Kenny is 5'4''/1.63m so on 48 or 51cm frame.
Meanwhile Katie Archibald is 5'10''/1.78m so probably on 56cm frame.

Also if people are willing to share the source for those pictures I would like to have them. I always love to see track tech on instagram, website or even facebook.
Old 02-27-18, 01:50 AM
Poppit

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Godsight

I am also of the opinion that smaller frame won't have the dropped stem/headtube junction for engineering reason. Laura Kenny is 5'4''/1.63m so on 48 or 51cm frame.

Also if people are willing to share the source for those pictures I would like to have them. I always love to see track tech on instagram, website or even facebook.
https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/gb...hampionships-0

Old 02-27-18, 05:59 AM
southernfox

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Godsight

Probably just a training gear for big gear work.
Old 02-27-18, 08:20 PM
pierrej

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Sprint bike looks pretty cool as well, though this is a bit bigger than the two above
Attached Images
File Type: png
IMG_20180228_124853.png (1.04 MB, 255 views)
Old 02-28-18, 12:39 AM
carleton
Elitist

Looks dope.

Seat top area looks precious like it could snap. Didn’t someone break a new LOOK right there? Vogel maybe?

Looks long. I like it. Is available for retail sale?
Old 02-28-18, 07:14 AM
rustymongrel

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Looks dope.

Seat top area looks precious like it could snap. Didn’t someone break a new LOOK right there? Vogel maybe?

Looks long. I like it. Is available for retail sale?
Custom order through Cervélo 25,000 GBP for frameset. Bars must be purchased seperately from British cycling.
Old 02-28-18, 08:11 AM
Morelock

ahh yes, the ole "it's for sale, but only if you want to fund GBC's next project" tactic

I inquired about the CRUX helmet from 2012 olympics long ago... I was sure it was a joke when they emailed me the price.
Old 02-28-18, 08:55 AM
carleton
Elitist

lol
Old 02-28-18, 03:26 PM
carleton
Elitist

With all of the hype around nylon straps (us sprinters don't get many new things), it should be noted that the freshly minted Team Sprint World Champions all used "old school" NJS straps:

Old 02-28-18, 06:26 PM
pierrej

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Also interesting that the Ned's best sprint team doesn't include any of the Beat guys
Old 02-28-18, 11:28 PM
carleton
Elitist

Buschli (I butchered his name) rode in one of the rounds, so he got a jersey.

Interesting that Roy or Bos didn’t ride for sure. I wonder why.
Old 03-01-18, 01:33 AM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Buschli (I butchered his name) rode in one of the rounds, so he got a jersey.

Interesting that Roy or Bos didn’t ride for sure. I wonder why.
Hmm. Bos was always only doing the kilo, I think, but I read VDB was doing the TS so I'm wondering too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.