Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Between a fixed gear and a single speed bike

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Between a fixed gear and a single speed bike

Old 10-15-20, 03:46 PM
IGH_Only

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
I think I've heard enough. If people equate fixies with being "macho" and "badass", then single speed it is for me.
Likes For IGH_Only:
Old 10-15-20, 04:04 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
I've never ridden one, so I have to ask: What are the benefits of fixed gear?
I've been riding fixed gear since 2009. I have a road bike set up as fixed gear and I also have a fixed gear wheelset which I use on my 29'er mountain bike for winter riding and commuting. The main benefits are almost zero maintenance besides lubing a chain. It also provides a different type of workout than a regular bike and it improves your bike handling skills because there is much less room for error than on a regular bike...The main reason why I continue to ride fixed gear is simply because I enjoy it so much, I ride for experience.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 10-15-20, 04:07 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by IGH_Only
I think I've heard enough. If people equate fixies with being "macho" and "badass", then single speed it is for me.
Just ignore all the haters and ride whatever bike you want...Don't let other people decide and choose what type of bike you should ride.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 10-15-20, 04:11 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Riding a geared bike (or a single-speed bike) keeps you alert and fully in the moment; pleasurable enough in its way. But a fixed-gear bike keeps you hyper-alert. It's as close as I'll ever get to what I imagine diffusing a bomb is like. Or maybe like this:

"Expectation," said the writer of the Stuyvesant manuscript, "Expectation stood on stilts."
---Washington Irving
Old 10-15-20, 04:16 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by AnthonyG
Benefits? Fixed gear bikes are raced on velodromes. They are out and out primal racing machines and its very macho to ride around on a "thoroughbred" racing machine.
If your into racing there are some benefits to train sometimes on a fixed gear bike even if you race the road but really its just about the "macho" factor.
Only track bikes are raced on velodromes, there are many other types of bikes out there that can be set up as fixed gear and used for commuting, training, recreational riding etc...Fixed gear has nothing to do with racing or being macho. I've ridden 100 mile centuries on my fixed gear with 40mm tires, full fenders and racks.
Old 10-15-20, 04:17 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I switched from fixed to single speed a little over a year ago. While I do enjoy the sensation, to me it's not worth the hassle of having to pedal through turns and not being able to coast over bumps and downhill.
Old 10-15-20, 04:20 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Riding a geared bike (or a single-speed bike) keeps you alert and fully in the moment; pleasurable enough in its way. But a fixed-gear bike keeps you hyper-alert. It's as close as I'll ever get to what I imagine diffusing a bomb is like. Or maybe like this:

"Expectation," said the writer of the Stuyvesant manuscript, "Expectation stood on stilts."
---Washington Irving
Very true...There is so much less room for error when those pedals are spinning non stop.
Old 10-15-20, 06:08 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
fixed 46 x 19 is an easy ride in urban hills
Old 10-15-20, 06:54 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I don't have either, but I think I'd have to choose single speed due to being able to coast.
Old 10-15-20, 07:34 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4788 Post(s)
Liked 3,914 Times in 2,545 Posts
IGH Only, fix gears have an issue that has trapped many riders. They go for one. two or three fix gear rides and find they cannot stop. (I did my first fixed ride 44 years ago. Crashed when I tried to coast. Came back from that first moderately hilly 8 mile ride completely sold. I've done half my miles since then fix gear and always had a working one, now 3, in the stable.

Fix gears make sense for three things. (4 if you include velodrome racing.) They teach smooth pedaling style. (I was told by the vets in my racing club to set my second bike up fixed to do that.) It is easier to keep the rubber down in slippery winter conditions. They pack in more "punch" for training when time or mileage is limited. All three have been real reasons for me riding fixed. But 90% of my many fix gear miles are just because I love riding fixed. (I rode single speed on that first bike for several years. After that first fixed ride, I never rode SS again.)

As far as being macho - I do find I get respect for (and am widely known for) riding the week long Cycle Oregon fixed. I do "cheat" and bring all the cogs and stop to flip or change the wheel for big hills. (I have several flip-flop wheels, all fixed on both sides, Yes, I can screw a FW onto a fixed hub, but that bike will not ever coast. (I do study the course profiles carefully before choosing fixed or free. Big rollers on a fix gear are leg breakers and crotch abusers (or way too many stops). Very long climbs, then very long descents make the 2 to 5 minute gear change both worthwhile and can put a real grin into the descents, (160 RPM in a 95" gear - 42 X 12 - is 45 mph and a blast!)

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 10-15-20, 11:10 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I've been riding fixed gear since 2009. I have a road bike set up as fixed gear and I also have a fixed gear wheelset which I use on my 29'er mountain bike for winter riding and commuting. The main benefits are almost zero maintenance besides lubing a chain.
Very true...There is so much less room for error when those pedals are spinning non stop.
What additional maintenance does a single speed bike with a coaster brake require?
What kind of errors are "likely" to occur when coasting with a single speed bicycle?
Sounds like imaginary problems to me.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 10-16-20, 05:04 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
What kind of errors are "likely" to occur when coasting with a single speed bicycle?
Sounds like imaginary problems to me.
Your question reflects your unfamiliarity with fixed gear riding. He's referring to pedal strike on turns at speed.
Old 10-16-20, 06:15 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
As someone who has never ridden a FG bike, I find this thread very interesting. Amusing even. I also want to know what are the benefits of riding fixed as opposed to SS, but apart from easier track stands, I can't see any other benefits mentioned. Having a different/better workout is good, but it seems to me that actually comes from overcoming the disadvantages of the fixed gear, not from its benefits. Less maintenance and marginally lower weight are good points too, but are not directly related to riding fixed.

As for the macho factor, some 90% of people I see riding FG are actually the very opposite of macho, not that anyone cares.
Likes For subgrade:
Old 10-16-20, 06:31 AM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
Meh, the first rule of Fight Club is that you don't talk about Fight Club.
The first rule of being Macho is that you don't talk about being macho.
So I broke the rules.

I rode and trained around a moderately hilly city ((Canberra ,Australia) I mostly avoided the REALLY steep hills) on a fixed gear bike back when I was cycle racing as a Juvenile and Junior. Fixed gear track bikes are really FAST up short to moderate climbs because if you got bogged down you were going nowhere so it was a matter of maintaining cadence in top gear even when climbing and it did feel more efficient to me as well over a derailleur setup.

As I agreed there are some advantage to fixed gear if your training for racing but other than being able to standstill while going downhill its nothing more than a "macho" factor if your not racing.
Any sport at all has a macho factor to it.
Old 10-16-20, 06:31 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
I prefer single speed - because I run a coaster brake hub, so need no hand brakes, can enjoy coasting on long descents and set the rear up to slide nicely on the loose. Of course, one has to remember not to back pedal during any tricky off road work.
Old 10-16-20, 06:34 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Your question reflects your unfamiliarity with fixed gear riding. He's referring to pedal strike on turns at speed.
I am familiar with the hazardous nature of pedal strike while riding fixed gear bicycles
I misread what wolfchild posted. He actually was glad to have the challenge of having to deal with the built-in problem of increased danger of pedal strike on turns at speed. Hard to believe that someone would find that feature an advantage. I suppose that challenge is similar to the thrill other fixed gear riders get from riding without installed brakes.
Old 10-16-20, 06:57 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I think the main advantages of riding a fixed gear are improvements in riding style and habits. Coasting is a nasty habit, at least it is if you are trying to become a faster, more efficient rider.

There is some danger, but that danger provides the motivation to keep those pedals turning, no matter what. I think fixed gears are a great tool for people who used to ride a lot and have the basic skills, but may have taken a long layoff, and don't mind the potential danger, which is over-emphasized here, IMO.

If you're trying to achieve or re-gain a good efficient spinning pedal stroke, there is no substitute for a couple of fixed gear rides per week.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 10-16-20, 07:15 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
SS chose me. I found that I had enough parts in my bin to build a bike, and one of those parts was an old Bendix coaster hub from my otherwise deceased college bike. I haven't attempted to ride FG. One thing I've read (could be confirmed here if needed) is that FG requires you to be clipped in, and I just want to ride platform pedals with regular shoes.

Just my view, if you're planning on riding it for the cool factor, don't. I've seen that happen, and it's not cool. You need to be capable of safely controlling your bike in traffic.
Old 10-16-20, 08:49 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
I haven't attempted to ride FG. One thing I've read (could be confirmed here if needed) is that FG requires you to be clipped in, and I just want to ride platform pedals with regular shoes.
As long as you have hand-operated brakes on your fixed gear bike, there's no compelling need for foot retention. But foot retention is still nice; if your feet come off the pedals at high rpm, you'll need to use the brakes to slow down enough to get your feet back on the pedals.
Old 10-16-20, 08:55 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
I also want to know what are the benefits of riding fixed as opposed to SS, but apart from easier track stands, I can't see any other benefits mentioned.
It teaches you how to pedal smoothly, and works different muscles from typical riding. You develop power over a broader range of pedal rpms. And it breaks you from the insidious habit of coasting. The first time you ride fixed gear, you see exactly how often you coast on a regular bike, usually within the first couple seconds, even.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 10-16-20, 09:17 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by IGH_Only
Just ignore all the haters and ride whatever bike you want...Don't let other people decide and choose what type of bike you should ride.
I agree with wolfchild .

IGH_Only , if you think you'd like trying a fixed gear bike get one with a flip flop hub. I've certainly considered it. The truth is that my single speed bike isn't equipped with a flip flop hub and can't be due to the coaster brake. And I love the coaster brake on that bike, so I'd have to get at least a new wheel if I wanted to go the fixed gear route.

By the way, a single speed can increase one's "power band" too. Perhaps not to the degree of a fixed gear bike, but riding my single speed regularly makes riding my multi-speed bike so much easier to do. Considering you can't downshift a single speed bike, you have to put more muscle into it for normal starts, and keeping speed into the wind, different ground surfaces, hills, etc.
Old 10-16-20, 09:40 AM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
there isn't much benefit to a fixed gear other than it's difficult. the difficulty is compounded if you live somewhere hilly. not everyone is cut out for it, and even fewer will excel at it.

anyone can jump on a road bike and noodle around. put the same sap on a fixed gear and they will most likely want to quit life after a few miles. if you are up to the challenge it can be very rewarding.
Likes For REDMASTA:
Old 10-16-20, 10:56 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Saying people who ride fixed gear are trying to be macho is like saying people who ride unicycles want to be clowns.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 10-16-20, 11:00 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
They're "Macho" Clowns, because unicycles are also fixed gear, no coasting is allowed. Twice the insanity!
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 10-16-20, 11:14 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
They're "Macho" Clowns, because unicycles are also fixed gear, no coasting is allowed. Twice the insanity!
And no brakes: Reckless macho clowns.

Funny, calling other people names only makes me feel better for a little while...
Likes For Happy Feet:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.