Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Chase and face question

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Chase and face question

Old 10-15-20, 08:07 PM
Melvang

Bikes: Kona Roast, Cannondale R500 CAAD4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 23 Posts
Chase and face question

This winter, I am going to be getting my bike re-painted, want a different color and have some corrosion that needs attention. It is going to be sprayed with Cerakote. I am also going to be doing a complete drivetrain upgrade in the spring. With this, I will be leaving behind the square taper BB. As a result, from my research, this needs the BB shell chased and faced. Should I have this done before or after paint? If it helps, the coater I use won't have any issue masking off the face for media blast and paint.

Side question related to this upgrade path. If I want to install a 9 speed Tiagra cassette, circa mid 2000s, what am I going to need for spacers on an 11 speed freehub body.
Old 10-15-20, 08:22 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
I always do it after.
on a frame I built I also do it before.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 10-15-20, 08:45 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Kinda useless doing it before. You'll need a 1.85mm spacer behind the cassette.
Also this kind of question should be 'bicycle mechanics' not GD.
Old 10-16-20, 08:32 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Just thinking out loud, as it were. Could you leave the BB in for the painting, then just unscrew it when you're ready to build the bike back up?

Brifter: a good bit of jargon to cover generically a combination brake and shift lever, or to acknowledge the common function of Ergo levers, STI levers, and Doubletab Controls.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 10-16-20, 08:46 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Originally Posted by Melvang
This winter, I am going to be getting my bike re-painted, want a different color and have some corrosion that needs attention. It is going to be sprayed with Cerakote. I am also going to be doing a complete drivetrain upgrade in the spring. With this, I will be leaving behind the square taper BB. As a result, from my research, this needs the BB shell chased and faced. Should I have this done before or after paint? If it helps, the coater I use won't have any issue masking off the face for media blast and paint.

Side question related to this upgrade path. If I want to install a 9 speed Tiagra cassette, circa mid 2000s, what am I going to need for spacers on an 11 speed freehub body.
Always do these things after its been painted/coated because that is when the threads will need to be potentially chased and the head tube and bottom bracket will need to be faced. When paint is on the threads, bolts dont secure easily/well. When paint is on what needs to be parallel and flat surfaces, they arent parallel or flat.
It doesnt hurt to do these things before painting too, but they are presumably already in good condition before painting so they shouldnt really do much.

Im curious what you have on the bike now and what specifically you are upgrading to as 9sp mid 2000s Tiagra is multiple generations old at this point. It works great, one of my kids has a mix of 9sp Tiagra and 105 on her road bike and its dead solid, but its quite old to usually be called an upgrade.
Old 10-16-20, 08:49 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
definitely after. any paint on the outer edge of the BB shell and in the threads will interfere with the bit of the BB. facing the shell and chasing the threads will insure a easy, secure, flat fit.
Old 10-16-20, 10:17 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
9 speed Tiagra

9 speed Tiagra, mid 2000s is the best shifting system I've ever used. Good choice. Newer Tiagra FDs, like 2020, shift better than older; but 2007 Tiagra RD shifting is superb, and the levers and hoods are just the right size and beautifully finished. Also cables that are not under bar tape are easy to change and adjust on the fly in the rare instance you'd need to.
Old 10-17-20, 03:37 AM
Melvang

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Just thinking out loud, as it were. Could you leave the BB in for the painting, then just unscrew it when you're ready to build the bike back up?

Brifter: a good bit of jargon to cover generically a combination brake and shift lever, or to acknowledge the common function of Ergo levers, STI levers, and Doubletab Controls.
Leaving the BB in the shell isn't an option because the frame needs to be etched before and baked after at 300° F for an hour, so any grease and low temp seals will be destroyed.

The coater I use is exceptional at keeping Cerakote out of places it isn't intended. As sprayed, it is only about 0.0005"-0.001" thick.
Old 10-17-20, 03:39 AM
Melvang

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Always do these things after its been painted/coated because that is when the threads will need to be potentially chased and the head tube and bottom bracket will need to be faced. When paint is on the threads, bolts dont secure easily/well. When paint is on what needs to be parallel and flat surfaces, they arent parallel or flat.
It doesnt hurt to do these things before painting too, but they are presumably already in good condition before painting so they shouldnt really do much.

Im curious what you have on the bike now and what specifically you are upgrading to as 9sp mid 2000s Tiagra is multiple generations old at this point. It works great, one of my kids has a mix of 9sp Tiagra and 105 on her road bike and its dead solid, but its quite old to usually be called an upgrade.
I currently have 9 speed Tiagra, but upgrading the wheelset before the drivetrain.

And the shop I use for Cerakote is exceptional at keeping it out of places out isn't intended to be. Plus, it is only 0.001" thick at most.
Old 10-18-20, 09:39 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

And the shop I use for Cerakote is exceptional at keeping it out of places out isn't intended to be. Plus, it is only 0.001" thick at most.
That isnt thick, but the bb and head tube should still be faced if needed. Do it after the coating and call it a day.
Old 10-19-20, 07:13 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
Unless the bike was built incorrectly, facing would only amount to scraping the paint off. Otherwise, it should have been done ,any years ago.
Old 10-20-20, 02:41 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Any bike painter should take care of this as a normal part of the service. If you are using someone who does specialty coatings who doesn’t know bikes expect a world of problems.
Old 10-22-20, 04:42 AM
Melvang

Originally Posted by DaveSSS
Unless the bike was built incorrectly, facing would only amount to scraping the paint off. Otherwise, it should have been done ,any years ago.
With a square taper BB, there isn't any need to be much more than saw cut square. With newer style BB's, the squareness of the face is much more critical.
Old 10-22-20, 04:44 AM
Melvang

Originally Posted by 63rickert
Any bike painter should take care of this as a normal part of the service. If you are using someone who does specialty coatings who doesn’t know bikes expect a world of problems.
The person that is doing the painting isn't a bike painter specifically, but he does do a fair number of bikes with both powder coat and Cerakote.

If she is an experienced coater, and knows where paint isn't supposed to be, what sort of problems would there be can't can't be taken care of with a tap, reamer, or facing tool?
Old 10-22-20, 04:46 AM
Melvang

That isnt thick, but the bb and head tube should still be faced if needed. Do it after the coating and call it a day.
Yeah, it is a very thin film thickness. That was/is one of the benefits of it, especially with its original intended use. With most firearm parts, it doesn't mess with tolerances. Their C series, common with coating pistons, is half that thickness.
Old 10-22-20, 10:55 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
The person that is doing the painting isn't a bike painter specifically, but he does do a fair number of bikes with both powder coat and Cerakote.

If she is an experienced coater, and knows where paint isn't supposed to be, what sort of problems would there be can't can't be taken care of with a tap, reamer, or facing tool?
First thing a bike painter does is a full bare metal inspection. Someone who coats pistols has no idea what to look for. When I get frames painted basic alignment is an included service. Very much doubt that a gun shop would have a frame table. I could go on. Frame painting is a real specialty service. It is not just applying miscellaneous coatings.
Old 10-22-20, 01:12 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

I am really confused by this thread. Questions were asked and they were then answered. Those answers seem to be less than acceptable or satisfactory, so they were disagreed with and information has been given to show the initial questions are already known.
Why start the thread in the first place if you have all the answers?
Old 10-22-20, 03:56 PM
Melvang

Originally Posted by 63rickert
First thing a bike painter does is a full bare metal inspection. Someone who coats pistols has no idea what to look for. When I get frames painted basic alignment is an included service. Very much doubt that a gun shop would have a frame table. I could go on. Frame painting is a real specialty service. It is not just applying miscellaneous coatings.

​​​​​​Not a gun shop. She only does powder coat and Cerakote.
Old 10-22-20, 05:05 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
most factories don't face and chase bottom brackets. Or maybe they just chase the threads. I just faced a new production frame today that had a lot of distortion of the faces of the bb. It was actually enough to be somewhat annoying. It's pretty typical on production frames to see head tubes that need to be faced as well. In either case, it's almost never just a matter of scraping the paint off. Very few bike shops do this on all new frames, with the thought that the factory does it. Some never do it, and others only do it if they think it's causing a problem.
Old 10-22-20, 05:15 PM
Melvang

I am really confused by this thread. Questions were asked and they were then answered. Those answers seem to be less than acceptable or satisfactory, so they were disagreed with and information has been given to show the initial questions are already known.
Why start the thread in the first place if you have all the answers?
It isn't that they aren't accepted. I am just starting my experience and knowledge as a base to ask follow up questions to better understand they whys for people's answers.