Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Heavy Bikes are better !

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Heavy Bikes are better !

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-20, 06:53 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6956 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I’ve earned my permanent man card.

No trailer? Lame.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-20-20, 07:07 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,965 Times in 1,915 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
No trailer? Lame.
No HDMI, pshhh wowz...
Old 10-20-20, 08:59 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by preventec47
Unless you are a professional or amateur racer..... Ride as heavy a bike as you can ! You will get a better workout, You will save money as they are cheaper and more rugged requiring less repair, and your crashes will occur at slower speeds. You go out and ride for two hours and come home. Do you really care if you went 30 instead of 40 miles ? The idea was to burn 2500 calories either way.. In addition, everyone who passes you will respect you more than they would if you could blast past them on a whim. All the bike manufacturers spend millions of dollars to brainwash you into thinking you aint cool if you dont have the latest lightest bleeding edge technology. Are you going to let yourself fall victim to that ? Me personally- I like to ride my sixty pound tandem solo. It rides much like a limousine and has many other benefits. Twice I have been able to given broken down motorists a ride back to town.
Thought experiment: Apply this same logic to loving a fat woman
Likes For Toadmeister:
Old 10-21-20, 02:16 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I still have my heavy comfort hybrid that I got back into shape with a few years ago. I don't ride it much anymore, other than occasional local errands because it's very stiff and good for hauling heavy loads. Massive stiff aluminum frame with fat tubes, really more of a cargo bike than comfort cruiser.

If I was ever asked to lead a casual group ride I'd probably take that bike. It would force me to stick with an 8-12 mph pace that pretty much anyone could maintain. I know on some casual group rides we've lost prospective members because they were dropped by a ride leader pushing a 16 mph pace when the ride was advertised as a no-drop casual pace. So a heavy cargo bike or city rental bike would be better for the leader of a real casual pace no-drop ride for newbies.
Old 10-21-20, 11:01 AM
preventec47

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 28 Posts
Getting ready for my workout. It should not take long with my new exercise bike :-)
Likes For preventec47:
Old 10-21-20, 11:52 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Getting ready for my workout. It should not take long with my new exercise bike :-)

Wow! That looks like it could be fun - with a big stonking electric motor on it.
Likes For CargoDane:
Old 10-21-20, 01:50 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,965 Times in 1,915 Posts
some folks loves those handles, bar none.
Old 10-21-20, 02:09 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Once you're rolling on a flat road, heavy bikes don't take any more energy to pedal than light bikes.
Right....and they are really good if you only ride down hill.
Old 10-21-20, 02:23 PM
steine13

Bikes: See my albums. I find that listing them here messes up searching.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 142 Posts
>> Heavy bikes give a better workout, keep the speeds down[..]

Reminds me of my first bike tour with a couple of friends, one of them a triathlete and really strong.
Turns out he wasn't so fast after his clamped-on rack slid down to where it pushed a leetle bit on his rear caliper and applied a certain amount of breaking.
Fixing that was more involved than it sounds, and he didn't complain when we asked him to ride another ten miles like that, and we'd fix it in camp.

The next day he was pulling strong, faster than I liked for sure, and he got REALLY mad when I suggested we move the rack onto the brake again...

As far as the 'better workout' goes, that's obviously nonsense. The best workout is the one where you're enjoying yourself and moving right along. Bikes don't have to be super light, but heavy doesn't make anything better. Mine weigh between 22 and 35 lbs, and while I ride the 35-pounder the most, I wish it were lighter.
cheers -mathias
Likes For steine13:
Old 10-21-20, 02:42 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Remember when the first quasi Mountain Bikes were first ridden and developed out in Calif.. A lot of them were the heavier Schwinn Collegiate frames. Heavy and strong.
You will find a lot of them used as boat moorings.
Likes For Wileyone:
Old 10-23-20, 02:46 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3660 Post(s)
Liked 5,406 Times in 2,745 Posts
Unless you are a professional or amateur racer..... Ride as heavy a bike as you can ! You will get a better workout, You will save money as they are cheaper and more rugged requiring less repair, and your crashes will occur at slower speeds. You go out and ride for two hours and come home. Do you really care if you went 30 instead of 40 miles ? The idea was to burn 2500 calories either way.. In addition, everyone who passes you will respect you more than they would if you could blast past them on a whim. All the bike manufacturers spend millions of dollars to brainwash you into thinking you aint cool if you dont have the latest lightest bleeding edge technology. Are you going to let yourself fall victim to that ? Me personally- I like to ride my sixty pound tandem solo. It rides much like a limousine and has many other benefits. Twice I have been able to given broken down motorists a ride back to town.
Beyond silly.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 10-23-20, 09:09 PM
hsuBM
jj

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by CargoDane
Wow! That looks like it could be fun - with a big stonking electric motor on it.
if I’m going to stupid fast I want to be stupid loud about it- Honda CR500 engine has got to get shoved in there.
Likes For hsuBM:
Old 10-25-20, 10:48 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 5,628 Times in 2,916 Posts
Different strokes. As they used to say in the 60s, “Its your trip, so be my guest”.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-26-20, 07:57 PM
yukiinu

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Adds to safety

I had heavy mtb, was going down hill hit part of road where asphalt looked like it had been carved up with a giant bottle opener, the bike just safely bounced its own way through it with me litely holding onto the handle bars. If I had narrow tires and a lite bike I am sure I would have had a nasty crash.
Old 10-26-20, 07:59 PM
yukiinu

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Adds to safety

I had heavy mtb, was going down hill hit part of road where asphalt looked like it had been carved up with a giant bottle opener, the bike just safely bounced its own way through it with me litely holding onto the handle bars. If I had narrow tires and a lite bike I am sure I would have had a nasty crash.
Old 10-27-20, 07:23 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by yukiinu
Not really. Tire size, and good (if unintentional) bike handling. A loose grip / semi-active riding posture will let the bike move a little on rough terrain, without 'fighting' against the rider.
My MTB is one of the lightest bikes I own. If a light bike was more prone to crash, MTB'ers would crash a lot more than they do.

Cheap MTBs are heavy. Fast MTBs are light.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 10-27-20, 10:22 AM
obentwan
Space for rent

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX-5, Trek 8.2 Dual Sport

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seems like a good rationalization for riding a cheap-ass bike. Knock yourself out.
Well that's kind of offensive. I ride a 30lb Trek Ex5 on the roads. It's sort of heavy but it wasn't "a cheap ass bike." It is a bit of a workout and on hill climbs I wish it was lighter but still, no need to be offensive.
Old 10-27-20, 10:26 AM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
Gresp15C you will know you're brainwashed when a stranger on the internet tells you that you are. That's how it works.

I bought a Specialized Roll this summer and it's heavier than hell; I figure it can absorb an IED attack and still get me down the road. It's fun to ride sometimes. I also have a 2018 Emonda SL6 that was modded for a pro rider. It's very light. It's fun to ride sometimes.
Old 10-27-20, 10:40 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6956 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
Seems like a good rationalization for riding a cheap-ass bike. Knock yourself out.
Originally Posted by obentwan
Well that's kind of offensive. I ride a 30lb Trek Ex5 on the roads. It's sort of heavy but it wasn't "a cheap ass bike." It is a bit of a workout and on hill climbs I wish it was lighter but still, no need to be offensive.
Oh, good grief. Get a grip. I didn't call your bike "cheap."
Old 10-27-20, 11:22 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Ride as heavy a bike as you can ! You will get a better workout,
No, you don't get a better workout – you just go slower.
Old 10-28-20, 11:13 PM
thebigchin

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'll take those clunker tanks .... I love em.
So true for commuters. I love cramming 40lbs of groceries into the panniers and packages strapped onto the rear rack. You wouldn't do that on a carbon frame with 16 spoke wheels.
Old 10-29-20, 04:57 AM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by thebigchin
So true for commuters. I love cramming 40lbs of groceries into the panniers and packages strapped onto the rear rack. You wouldn't do that on a carbon frame with 16 spoke wheels.
Different bikes for different purposes that's one of the fine points of N+1.
Likes For Wileyone:
Old 10-29-20, 06:41 AM
Aladin

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Appalachian, 1998 Litespeed BlueRidge.. 1977? Schwinn LeTour 12.2 'Rain Daze'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Whew.. understand some of the rationale. Yet a light bike puts on the workout primarily ON the cardiovascular system.
Old 10-29-20, 06:47 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Aladin
Whew.. understand some of the rationale. Yet a light bike puts on the workout primarily ON the cardiovascular system.
You can shift to a heavier gear on a lighter bike which means that with the same force applied you go faster than with a heavier bike in a smaller/lower gear. A light bke doesn't mean you can't get a proper workout. It just means you can go faster for the same effort. Hence why carrying all your touring gear means you go slower than if you weren't carrying it.
Likes For CargoDane:
Old 10-29-20, 06:56 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
Only true if you can safely cruise l at the highest speeds possible.

If higher speeds are unsafe or impossible (for example, riding in city traffic or gravel / off road) then a heavier bike will indeed give better workout.

Just as a matter of math, I don't think this is true. There's nothing that prevents you from putting the same level of effort into riding a lighter bike, the performance curves will just be different. For example, city riding conditions might limit you to 15 mph, but the same effort on different weight bikes will just accelerate the lighter bike to the cruising speed faster, not reducing the intensity of the workout to any significant degree. And this might not be true for everyone, but I find a lighter bike is easier to maneuver through high traffic situations (I'm just generally a bit more agile on a light bike than a heavy one, easier to steer, easier to stop quickly, easier to accelerate out of trouble, etc.), so I actually do maintain a higher speed in a city situation on a lighter bike than a heavier one. I understand riders and cities are not necessarily created equal, so I wouldn't generalize that to other people riding in other cities. If I rode regularly in a city like Fitchburg, MA where the roads are approximately equal parts pavement and pothole, I don't think I'd find the light bike advantageous.

In a gravel situation, if less effort is expended accelerating or going up hills, any difference in the overall effort can easily be made up for by going a slightly longer distance. I don't do a lot of off-road riding, but my impression from the bit I do is that the width and quality of the tires is a lot more determinative of your overall effort than the weight of the vehicle. Someone who does a lot more of this kind of riding, please correct me if I'm wrong.
Likes For livedarklions:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.