Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

frame colors: stealth (matte black), black diamond, gloss (ink) black

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-20, 08:10 AM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts

Need help choosing a black for my Bike Friday order:

stealth (matte black)
black diamond
gloss (ink) black

I bet other manufacturers have different (and similar to the above 3) black frames - please reply with any direct experience you have with these.

Bonus for any links to good color frame pics of these.
Old 10-21-20, 08:39 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Color descriptions are not standardized. One manufacturer's "black diamond" (whatever that is) could look markedly different from another manufacturer's "black diamond" (whatever that is).

Are there no examples of BF colors on BF's website?
Old 10-21-20, 08:55 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Color descriptions are not standardized. One manufacturer's "black diamond" (whatever that is) could look markedly different from another manufacturer's "black diamond" (whatever that is).

Are there no examples of BF colors on BF's website?
Im on hold with IT, so I have time to google this. Kinda wanted to for the hope that itd be worthless, and it was. I find humor in odd ways.

Here is a colorwheel from their site- #12 is black diamond. So...maybe a bit gray or something? Cant tell at all. Worthless, really.
Old 10-21-20, 08:59 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Im on hold with IT, so I have time to google this. Kinda wanted to for the hope that itd be worthless, and it was. I find humor in odd ways.

Here is a colorwheel from their site- #12 is black diamond. So...maybe a bit gray or something? Cant tell at all. Worthless, really.
Just got done looking at that:

https://www.bikefriday.com/bicycles/color_viewer

Looks pretty helpful to me. Certainly more helpful than showing the OP a photo of my midnight black Surly.LHT, which black could look much different from the BF blacks.

Sometimes BF really leaves me scratching my head.
Old 10-21-20, 11:37 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
"Any customer can have a car painted any color that he wants so long as it is black." - Henry Ford (1909), remarking about the Model T.
Old 10-21-20, 11:42 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by gios
Need help choosing a black for my Bike Friday order:

stealth (matte black)
black diamond
gloss (ink) black

I bet other manufacturers have different (and similar to the above 3) black frames - please reply with any direct experience you have with these.

Bonus for any links to good color frame pics of these.
After owning a bike with a (non-black) matte finish, I'd tend to avoid matte finishes. In my experience, they're much more work to clean and they excel at showing grease smudges.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 10-21-20, 03:14 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
What do you do, spin the wheel and whatever color it lands on is the color of bike you get?
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 10-21-20, 04:02 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
Black Bikes Matter........stealth (matte black), black diamond, gloss (ink) black?....depends on the bike imo.
Old 10-21-20, 04:24 PM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
yada yada yada useful information yada yada yada
Old 10-22-20, 02:14 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Both of my carbon bikes have been matte and gloss black. There's something about it which rather appeals to me. The PlanetX was more of a silk finish than matte but I think I prefer the more matte finish on this Mekk. How it will resist dirt remains to be seen. It was pure coincidence this time around as I bought the frame second-hand.

Old 10-22-20, 02:31 AM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
I recommend the matte black. Good luck with your Bike Friday.
Old 10-22-20, 07:39 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
What do you do, spin the wheel and whatever color it lands on is the color of bike you get?
The link I posted in #7 above is “useful information.” It allows you to pick frame and cable colors to get an idea of what your bike will look like. Maybe the OP missed it.

Reminds me of the similar feature on Timbuk2’s site. You can design a messenger bag and see what it will look like, front, back and inside.
Old 10-28-20, 02:03 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
I had a vintage Fuji that I had professionally repainted in GLOSSY Dupont Imron. It was beautiful, especially fir the front fork and seat and chain stay half chromed. The paint looked great and never chipped for 35 years. My new bike is also black, but is a Bianchi satin black color. It looks nice, with a sheen, but is not as durable at the Imron and touchup is a custom blend mix using hobbyist plastic model paints for a close match.

I am not a fan of real flat black on frames as it often scuffs and can become glossy where it rubs.

I recently met a gentleman out riding who said his older steel bike was parkerized. It was a matte very dark gray. That is the phosphate finishing process used on many post WWI U.S. military arms. It is rust resistant as long as you wipe it with oil, as the matte surface grains hold the oil.

I am not sure whether he was spinning a yarn as I cannot imagine how the entire frameset was coated as it involves submerging the metal into a phosphoric acid solution with ingredients of zinc or manganese and/or other metals or chemicals. I suspect that would do a number on any threads or inside the frame tubes. But is was an interesting frame
Old 10-29-20, 06:53 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
I'd go with the ink (glossy) black. When I had my Bike Friday made, I considered the appearance of an adult on those small wheels comical. So I decided to go with that look and narrowed my choices to one of the three primary colors: red, blue or yellow. I chose Safire blue with yellow stickers/cable coverings and love it.