Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

The Ride To Montauk 2010

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

The Ride To Montauk 2010

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-10, 04:47 PM
Trek7.3FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Ride To Montauk 2010

anbody else sign up for this?? The rain and wind made it miserable last year, but the weather should be good this year and make for a really enjoyable ride
Old 03-07-10, 10:49 PM
vincentnyc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trek7.3FX
anbody else sign up for this?? The rain and wind made it miserable last year, but the weather should be good this year and make for a really enjoyable ride
Isn't the ride in may? How can u predict the weather so far in advance? Lol.

Anyway, I'm thinking of doing a ride out in long island by taking the lirr to montauk and ride it to the west hampton. Let me know if any1 is interested?
Old 03-07-10, 11:07 PM
Trek7.3FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vincentnyc

Anyway, I'm thinking of doing a ride out in long island by taking the lirr to montauk and ride it to the west hampton. Let me know if any1 is interested?
it's on june 29th.....obviously I can't predict the weather, what I mean is that time of year there isnt much rain, it's usually nice. what happened last time was because of hurricane bill.... I Can't imagine something that dramatic happening again, a light rain most people would be fine with, but last year was heavy rain and wind.... what are the odds of that happening 2 years in a row?
Old 03-07-10, 11:11 PM
derath

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it's on june 29th.....obviously I can't predict the weather, what I mean is that time of year there isnt much rain, it's usually nice. what happened last time was because of hurricane bill.... I Can't imagine something that dramatic happening again, a light rain most people would be fine with, but last year was heavy rain and wind.... what are the odds of that happening 2 years in a row?
I did the Seagull Century (MD) 2 years in a row. First year was hurricane induced rain and winds. The second year was heavy rain and about 55 degree temps.

Just sayin'

-D
Old 03-07-10, 11:47 PM
Trek7.3FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by derath
I did the Seagull Century (MD) 2 years in a row. First year was hurricane induced rain and winds. The second year was heavy rain and about 55 degree temps.

Just sayin'

-D

well then I'm just gonna pray my luck is better than yours.... last year was miserable.
Old 03-08-10, 12:04 AM
Stacy
Car-Free Flatlander

Bikes: Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by derath

Just sayin'

-D

If it didn't rain how would you know you were really riding the Seagull Century?

Every time I've ridden to Montauk it's rained at least a little bit.
Old 03-08-10, 07:42 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts

Can someone comment on the prevailing winds? My experience is that it's more often out of the west, so riding east is more fun .
Old 03-08-10, 11:27 AM
vincentnyc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
Can someone comment on the prevailing winds? My experience is that it's more often out of the west, so riding east is more fun .
yeah u maybe right...when i watch the news weather...clouds always move from west to east. so it maybe easier to ride from west hampton to montauk instead. it will be around 40 - 50 miles ride. so any1 is interested in doing a ride? let me know.

also where can u sign up for ride to montauk 2010 for june ride? what is the website?

Last edited by vincentnyc; 03-08-10 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-08-10, 11:29 AM
v70cat

Bikes: S5 VWD & SL-7 S works Red.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope to do it this year
Old 03-08-10, 01:44 PM
Trek7.3FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah u maybe right...when i watch the news weather...clouds always move from west to east. so it maybe easier to ride from west hampton to montauk instead. it will be around 40 - 50 miles ride. so any1 is interested in doing a ride? let me know.

also where can u sign up for ride to montauk 2010 for june ride? what is the website?
https://www.ridetomontauk.com/
Old 03-08-10, 04:13 PM
XYZsniper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the heads up.
Have any of you guys gone over on the ferry from New London for this ride?
The only drawback I see to this is having to ride to the starting point the day before.
Old 03-09-10, 07:10 AM
v70cat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
More than one ride to Montauk

https://5bbc.org/montauk/trainingrides.shtml

This one is May 16th, does anyone know the differences and which is better?
Old 03-09-10, 09:24 AM
Junker

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Roubiax SL3 Expert w/full 6700 Ultegra

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They are mostly the same ride. The route will be 99% the same. The guy who runs the "ride to Montauk" used to run the first one until he had a falling out with the 5BBC.
Old 03-09-10, 09:53 AM
v70cat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"ride to Montauk" seems to be a for profit ride?
Old 03-09-10, 12:28 PM
Trek7.3FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by v70cat
"ride to Montauk" seems to be a for profit ride?

Judging by all the things they had last year i dont see how they could make much of a profit. it was all well put together.... there were even shower trucks at the finish.

Originally Posted by v70cat
More than one ride to Montauk

https://5bbc.org/montauk/trainingrides.shtml

This one is May 16th, does anyone know the differences and which is better?

I've never been on the 5bbc ride, but I can tell a few differences on the website... 5bbc gives you a train ticket to get back to the start and the Ride to Montauk provides coach buses... I'm sure they are both enjoyable, but from the description it seems the ride to montauk is a little better.... but I could be wrong... has anyone done both?
Old 03-09-10, 04:06 PM
Stacy
Car-Free Flatlander

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As Junker said, the ride to Montauk is put on by Glenn Goldstein who used to produce the ride for the Five Boro Bike Club. Glen is a professional tour director while the Montauk Century is a fundraiser for the Five Boro Bike Club.

Glen's ride is in June and he offers all sorts of options. He'll sell you a ticket for the same day return or a train ticket for the following day if you want to stay the night. In addition to the metric, century, and 140 route Glen also offers a 30 mile route and various times when you can get your bike back. Also Glen's ride is on a Saturday which may make things easier for those who choose to make a weekend of it.

Last time I did the Montauk Century it was a bit more straight forward and a little bit cheaper than Glen's ride. The Montauk Century is on the third Sunday in May, pre-season, when hotel rates are probably half what they are in June and traffic is lighter. They offer three routes and they only transported bikes on the day of the ride. If you want to stay over, through Monday, you'll have to arrange for your own transportation home.
Old 03-09-10, 06:18 PM
v70cat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you Stacy I would rather give my money to a not for profit organization like the 5 Boro Bike Club also the date is better for me.

I went on two ride last weekend run by 5 Boro and they were fun and free.
Old 03-09-10, 06:49 PM
mattyknacks

Bikes: 2008 Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stacy
If it didn't rain how would you know you were really riding the Seagull Century?

Every time I've ridden to Montauk it's rained at least a little bit.
I did the Seagull Century a few years ago (metric century option) and the weather was EXCELLENT! The thing that almost blew me off the bike was the smell from one of those giant chicken coops along the way!!
Old 03-09-10, 08:03 PM
Stacy
Car-Free Flatlander

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not to detract from Glen but The Five Boro Bike Club is certainly a worthy group and I'm sure they could use the support after their long court battle trying to overturn the NYPD Permit ruling.
Old 03-10-10, 02:25 PM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Anyone do this ride last year care to comment on how the bike pickup and drop off was handled? The year before, it was a clusterf*ck because one truck broke down and people's bikes were left in a big pile in front of Penn Sta. after the ride was over. Last year Glen came up w/ a new system and new bike racks for the trucks so if you can comment on whether it was an improvement over the year before, that'd be great.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 03-10-10, 05:26 PM
Trek7.3FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jyossarian
Anyone do this ride last year care to comment on how the bike pickup and drop off was handled? The year before, it was a clusterf*ck because one truck broke down and people's bikes were left in a big pile in front of Penn Sta. after the ride was over. Last year Glen came up w/ a new system and new bike racks for the trucks so if you can comment on whether it was an improvement over the year before, that'd be great.
I never did it before last year, but when I got back my bike was waiting for me. the problem some people were having was that the semi trucks they used were so large it took a while for some people to get their bikes. Acoording to the website they are going to use smaller trucks so it doesnt take so long to get to the ones in the back... it seems like glen tries to improve some aspect of the ride year to year, so hopefully the unloading will go more smoothly this year.
Old 03-22-10, 08:03 PM
NightHawkHat

Bikes: Roubaix Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, it's on June 19th.
Old 03-29-10, 06:09 AM
Trek7.3FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NightHawkHat
Actually, it's on June 19th.
Yes, you're right, thanks for the correction.
Old 05-04-10, 06:19 PM
v70cat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am signed up for the 140 mile ride

https://www.5bbc.org/montauk/
Old 05-13-10, 07:04 PM
VeloBarbieri

Bikes: GIANT TCR, Cannondale MS1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey All - I am signed up for the "Glenn Goldstein" Ride To Montauk on June 19th. I am looking for a group to hook up with for either the 145 or 100. I did the 145 last August and had a BLAST! Yeah, the weather sucked, but we had a great time. The rest stops were awesome, the bike support was great, and the two other guys I rode with had no issue with their bikes back in the city. I was picked up in Montauk by my Wife. The "finish line" support was also top notch. The food was superb, the beer was good too. There was about a twenty minute wait in line for a shower, but had good conversation with new-found friends.

The route is great. Flat and fast...

So if any of you guys or girls are looking to do the 145 or the 100, let me know if you would like a straggler. I am a road guy, averaging about 17-18 mph for the entire ride. I have done many centuries and multi-day rides.

Looking forward to June 19th!

Tom