Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

The IRS says no to bike share programs.

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 10-29-13, 07:34 AM
kjmillig

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The IRS has disallowed bike share use to be included in employer transportation benefits.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwo...es-bike-share/
Old 10-29-13, 07:47 AM
phoebeisis
New Orleans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
[admin edit - please keep the political statements in P and R]

Last edited by Siu Blue Wind; 10-29-13 at 08:26 AM. Reason: clean up
Old 10-29-13, 08:11 AM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How did I not know of this benefit?

$20/month tax-free for purchase, repair, maintenance, and storage of a bicycle used "regularly" for commuting.
Old 10-29-13, 08:27 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
I didn't know either, but I just contacted my HR department about it. I knew about the benefit as it relates to public transit, but had no idea bicycles shared in it as well. Not much money, but every bit helps.
Old 10-29-13, 08:36 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by spivonious
How did I not know of this benefit?

$20/month tax-free for purchase, repair, maintenance, and storage of a bicycle used "regularly" for commuting.
There are caveats to that benefit. From the IRS

Exempt1 up to certain limits if for rides in a commuter highway vehicle and/or transit passes ($245), qualified parking ($245), or qualified bicycle commuting reimbursement 6 ($20). (See Transportation (Commuting) Benefits , later in this section.)

6 If the employee receives a qualified bicycle commuting reimbursement in a qualified bicycle commuting month, the employee cannot receive commuter highway vehicle, transit pass, or qualified parking benefits in that same month.
If you van pool, you can get up to $245 per month in tax exemption. If you get parking, you can get up to $245 per month in tax exemption. If you get a transit pass, you can get up to $245 month in tax exemption but if you bicycle and you get one of those benefits, no bike reimbursement for you!

My employer participates in an Ecopass program with RTD here in Denver. I might use my Ecopass once a year, tops. That's about $2 per year benefit I get from the Ecopass. But, because my employer gives all employees an Ecopass (which is a stipulation of the Ecopass program), I get no bicycle benefit.

We have a van pool program around here for the people who live way out in the sticks. They get the $245 per month reimbursement even with the Ecopass program. They are contributing to sprawl and air pollution and water pollution and all the things that go along with living long distances (some up to 75 miles) but they are "green" and deserve extra credit for putting 6 bodies in a van. I ride a bike to work, save 2 tons of carbon a year (40 tons since 1988), save about 1000 gallons of gas per year (7500 gallons since 1988) and reduce congestion significantly but, because I ride a "toy", Congress has decided that I don't deserve any extra benefit. Chaps my hide
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-29-13, 08:47 AM
droy45
tougher than a boiled owl

Bikes: Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've known of that benefit in the past but my employer at the time did not want to participate in any of it as I was the only one to be so foolish to commute to work by bike. LOL> Its the same thing with my present employer. Commuters are so few that these benefits rarely got used and will go away after a while.
Old 10-29-13, 08:50 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
325,000 bikes so far have been bought through this programme:

https://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/

scheme overview: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycle_to_Work_scheme
Old 10-29-13, 09:20 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
An ocean lies between the 2.
Old 10-29-13, 09:31 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
An ocean lies between the 2.
If one doesn't have an example of a successful programme, how can one effectively persuade their local representatives?
Old 10-29-13, 09:34 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 2,511 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
There are caveats to that benefit. From the IRS

If you van pool, you can get up to $245 per month in tax exemption. If you get parking, you can get up to $245 per month in tax exemption. If you get a transit pass, you can get up to $245 month in tax exemption but if you bicycle and you get one of those benefits, no bike reimbursement for you!
Hmmm, I was a little excited at first, but now I'm confused. Is this IRS document addressed to employers or individual tax payers? I don't see how "Bicycle Commuting" is a fringe benefit offered to me by my employer. Is this a $20/mo * 12mo = $240 deduction I put in a particular box on Sked A or something? Or is this just saying, it is IRS-allowable for my company to incentivize bike commuting by offering me a tax-free $20/mo?
Old 10-29-13, 09:47 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by RubeRad
Hmmm, I was a little excited at first, but now I'm confused. Is this IRS document addressed to employers or individual tax payers? I don't see how "Bicycle Commuting" is a fringe benefit offered to me by my employer. Is this a $20/mo * 12mo = $240 deduction I put in a particular box on Sked A or something? Or is this just saying, it is IRS-allowable for my company to incentivize bike commuting by offering me a tax-free $20/mo?
It's a benefit from your employer like parking or vanpool or a bus pass would be. It's not a tax deduction...and I'm sorry that I used that language in my post A company can use it to incentivize bike commuting but few of them do as far as I know.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-29-13, 10:01 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by acidfast7
325,000 bikes so far have been bought through this programme:

https://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/

scheme overview: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycle_to_Work_scheme
Different program. The program that the Forbes article is talking about are like the B-Cycle program in Denver, the Bay Area Bicycle Share program in San Francisco or the Barclay's Cycle Hire program in London. The B-Cycle program has a fee that you can pay if you use it frequently enough or use the bicycles long enough to incur a cost. Employers appear to have been offering this as a benefit that wasn't taxed but the IRS decided otherwise. I suspect that something like the cyclescheme wouldn't fly with the IRS as well because of the language in the law that set up the bicycle commuter benefit. Here's a pretty good summary of the commuter benefits available to cars, van pools, parking and bicycles. Bicycles definitely get the fuzzy end of the lollypop for commuting costs while giving society the greatest benefit...damn car centric society!

Old 10-29-13, 10:05 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 2,511 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
It's a benefit from your employer like parking or vanpool or a bus pass would be. It's not a tax deduction...and I'm sorry that I used that language in my post A company can use it to incentivize bike commuting but few of them do as far as I know.
OK, thanks for the clarification. I thought I just fell into a $240*marginal tax rate windfall and started shopping for master-link removal pliers!

However, I will try to find an appropriate bean-counter to forward the alternative transportation incentive info to, probably to no avail.