Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Check this out

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Check this out

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-14, 09:58 PM
chillspike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check this out

I bought four of those solar and usb chargeable LED dog collars to use as extra illumination on my dahon.

I put one on each side of my handlebars. (My fingers slide in behind them.) One going down the handlebar stem. (See pic) And one going down the back of the seat post. I used zip ties in the pic but I changed the zip ties for velcro straps for easier removal.

What's great is these can stay charged by the sun while riding in the day so you don't have to think about batteries. But if it's not sunny, you can charge them via mini usb.

What's also great is they have two settings: steady and flashing. That means before I make a turn I can set either the left or right front light to flashing to indicate a turn.

I'm using orange lights on all four but I want to replace the front handlebar stem light strip with a white one to help further illuminate the road ahead. The white ones with solar are hard to find, though.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (104.7 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by chillspike; 04-03-14 at 04:15 AM.
Old 04-02-14, 10:30 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,407 Posts
Other than the solar charging feature these have been around for a while, and many of us them as leg band lights. If you want to see something cool, wrap one around a spokes a few apart, and let them spin out to the rim. Use a piece of string to tie the middles together so they stay flat and close to the spokes.

They make great wheel side lighting and make you obvious from many angles. I use one on my front wheel in flashing mode at night. (they're not bright enough to do any good in the daytime).

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 04-03-14, 04:28 AM
chillspike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What I think I will do is remove my reflectors so all the illumination on my bike is electric. That way when I want to go completely stealth I can.
Old 04-03-14, 07:42 AM
loimpact

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix Evo 3; 2014 Cannondale Quick 4; 2014 Cannondale Crash 4 hi-mod

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
FB, can you tell me which ones you have?? And can you maybe post a pic of how you have them set up on your wheel??? (I get the gist, but can't picture in my head based on your description of how to do it)

TIA!!!

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Other than the solar charging feature these have been around for a while, and many of us them as leg band lights. If you want to see something cool, wrap one around a spokes a few apart, and let them spin out to the rim. Use a piece of string to tie the middles together so they stay flat and close to the spokes.

They make great wheel side lighting and make you obvious from many angles. I use one on my front wheel in flashing mode at night. (they're not bright enough to do any good in the daytime).