Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Group Rides

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-16, 02:50 PM
jay002

Bikes: Trek FX 7.4, 2015 Specialized AWOL Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Group Rides

So after an injury kept me sidelined for the fall and a long winter I've been getting back on the bike now that the weather has turned up here in North Dakota. My LBS has a Tuesday Night ride that they describe as a "fun ride". Their description of the ride is " Conversational paced ride for those who want to combine exercising and socializing. 14-18 MPH pace average covering 15-25 miles." I was in the LBS the other day and the guy behind the counter told me about the run but I kind of got that old feeling of "you may want to stay home fattie" from him.

I've been logging 7 mile commutes to work and a few 10-12 mile evening rides by myself this spring. I've been averaging about 13 mph on my training rides. I know I can do 15-25 miles (did a century before I got hurt) in my current shape but I don't know if I can do it at the pace set for this group ride. I've never ridden in a group of any kind before and I'm concerned that I'm too slow to keep up. Am I crazy to think that I can do this? Should I do some more solo riding until my fitness level increases first?

Also; are there any other recommendations as to how to meet people to ride with? I think I'd enjoy riding with other people but at my speed and fitness level I feel I may be a hindrance to others.
Old 04-14-16, 03:26 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 913 Times in 275 Posts
don't be scared of group rides, know the route ahead of time and if you fall off, finish the route. Also know bail out or short cuts . Repeat weekly until you can stick with the group the entire ride. You should see improvement and meet more people the more you go. Show your face out there and enjoy.

I get dropped on every club ride I attend, but I still show up, talk up a storm until we hit the hills than I'm off the back
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 04-14-16, 03:42 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by jsigone
I get dropped on every club ride I attend, but I still show up, talk up a storm until we hit the hills than I'm off the back
LMAO, too funny.

OP! Don't project the anti-fatty feeling if it's not there. Why would he have told you about it?

Group rides are a great way to push yourself. As jsigone mentioned, be self-sufficient with respect to the route and if you get dropped, finish on your own. You may wish to do a trial run of the route once on your own for confidence.
Old 04-14-16, 04:23 PM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I'm a newbie to cycling (started Aug '15) but was determined to rise to the top ASAP. Group rides let your ego do the talking to your brain and push you to limits you didn't know that you were capable of. Also, pace line riding will give you a free 2 mph, and riding in the drops another 1 mph.
I now ride at an A level, and sometimes get dropped.....BUT I continue to ride with that group and push myself. Even if I get dropped because they decide to "hammer" on a "no drop ride", I still try hard to stick with them longer than the last time I got dropped, but always know where you are and the way back to your car.
Sometimes, the best sight on a ride is your car in the parking lot!
Old 04-14-16, 05:06 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Only reason I don't get dropped on group rides is because I lead them.

Group rides are great, just do it.
Old 04-15-16, 08:44 AM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jay002
I've been logging 7 mile commutes to work and a few 10-12 mile evening rides by myself this spring. I've been averaging about 13 mph on my training rides. I know I can do 15-25 miles (did a century before I got hurt) in my current shape but I don't know if I can do it at the pace set for this group ride. I've never ridden in a group of any kind before and I'm concerned that I'm too slow to keep up. Am I crazy to think that I can do this? Should I do some more solo riding until my fitness level increases first?
Why not ask them for examples of their routes and then pre-ride them to see if you can manage their pace without the pressure of having to keep up with a group? I dunno about anyone else, but I personally don't enjoy rides where there's a big speed disparity between the riders...
Old 04-15-16, 11:48 AM
Podagrower

Bikes: Giant Defy Composite, Spechialized Ruby (hers), Niner RLT9, Miyata 712, Condor ??

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
Only reason I don't get dropped on group rides is because I lead them.

Group rides are great, just do it.
A man after my own heart. I might have occasionally forgot to announce a turn until I got to it when the fast guys were off the front, maybe.
Old 04-15-16, 01:22 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Group rides can be fun, but you need to find the right group. Only way to know is to show up and give it a try.
Old 04-15-16, 02:44 PM
1242Vintage

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love group rides but find the pace is usually higher than advertised. Still makes it fun even if a bit of a challenge. Funniest one was about a year ago. The leader advertised the ride will have a nice social pace of around 17 mph. I never saw anything less than 21 and was all I could do to hang on to the back. Never took a pull. Had fun anyway.
Old 04-16-16, 08:55 AM
VCSL2015

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Caad8 105 '92 Specialized HardRock,

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually ride the route before a group ride. I know my endurance level. So thats pretty easy to figure out.
Old 04-16-16, 10:26 AM
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yeah...you'll probably get dropped like a hot potato. I'm guessing the average pace doesn't refer to some people going at 14 and others at 18, it more likely means the pace may vary from 14 to 18 and when the group hits the flats and rolls at 18 you won't be part of it. If getting dropped means horrible things to your ego I'd just stay home, personally but if you can go, get dropped and laugh then I'd say go for it!
Old 04-17-16, 06:51 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by digibud
Yeah...you'll probably get dropped like a hot potato. I'm guessing the average pace doesn't refer to some people going at 14 and others at 18, it more likely means the pace may vary from 14 to 18 and when the group hits the flats and rolls at 18 you won't be part of it. If getting dropped means horrible things to your ego I'd just stay home, personally but if you can go, get dropped and laugh then I'd say go for it!
Although it's important to say that due to drafting you can go faster easier in a group than solo.
Old 04-17-16, 07:15 AM
customsound79
Twitching Dead Elephant

Bikes: Kona Zone Two, Giant Contend, Polygon Path 3, Specialized Enduro 29

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Most of our group rides naturally break into smaller groups during the ride. I was dropped near the end of the last one, but I passed a slower part of the group when leaving the parking lot in my car. I thought I was the last one in the ride especially after stopping twice to GPS my way back. It is still a lot of fun. I always get in trouble trying to keep up with faster riders too early on and finishing weak.
Old 04-17-16, 09:56 PM
ohiogsp

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac, Guru Flite, Santa Cruz Superlight, Origin 8 Crawler

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know u probably don't have a ton of choices in rides but maybe find a no drop slower ride. I lived in minot and know that there is probably not a ton of rides to choose from. Otherwise try it and see then u will know. I have experienced bike shop employees looking down their nose at me before too but if u ride with them maybe u will find out they are not as great as they think they are. And that's awesome!
Old 04-18-16, 10:39 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Just go on the ride and dip your toes in the water. Remembering back to my first group ride, I had only ridden a max of 20km previously. My first group ride, I ended up riding almost 60km! It smashed me, and I was one of the stragglers at the end, but I never gave up. Now many years later, if there aren't too many hills, you can sometimes find me on the tail end of the fast guys hoping to have a sprint, but most times just hanging on for dear life. You will get more appreciation from those that matter if you try but drop off and finish than if you stay in your comfortable little cocoon and don't have a go. If you do drop off (and it's likely at first) surely you won't be the only one and you can pick other riders to see what other rides they do. You may find other rides that suit you much better as a result. Happy riding
Old 04-20-16, 07:59 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I went on group ride yesterday, it was a casual pace, no drop ride. I haven't been on a group ride for years. it was a small group, and a short ride (10 miles). just go on the ride and don't worry about being dropped. it more about people that enjoy a common activity, riding a bike. If the first ride is hard, each ride will get easier.