Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Mavic Ksyrium Pro UST Disc

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-18, 08:45 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts

Hey all,

Just got a set of the Ksyrium Pro UST Disc wheels and used them for the first time on Saturday. It's been 16 years since I had a new set of wheels. My question concerns the rear hub and cassette. After every ride, I clean my chain and take off my rear wheel to floss the cassette. While flossing, the cassette popped off the rear hub as one unit. It looks like it was designed that way to make maintenance easier (ie get to the bearings etc)....but I wanted to check with you guys, Is this a normal? Do wheels made now days have this? I pushed the cassette (as a unit) back on and it seems to lock in place and is held together by the thru axle when mounted on the bike.

Thanks
Old 12-03-18, 10:09 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
They designed it that way, so that freehub bodies could be swapped without tools.
Old 12-03-18, 10:10 AM
jadocs

Originally Posted by noodle soup
They designed it that way, so that freehub bodies could be swapped without tools.
Awesome, thanks buddy I appreciate it!
Old 12-04-18, 11:37 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1773 Post(s)
Liked 1,301 Times in 754 Posts
Would love a review at some point.
Old 12-04-18, 11:53 AM
jadocs

Originally Posted by bruce19
Would love a review at some point.
Will do...
Old 12-04-18, 03:07 PM
bruce19

Originally Posted by jadocs

Will do...
Old 12-04-18, 07:53 PM
jadocs

Hey Bruce,

Thanks for that. I can attest that it is in fact that easy to take the tire on/off and re inflate with a hand pump. It was actually harder getting my Conti clinchers off my DT Swiss wheels.

My first ride on the Ksyrium Pro's, I got a cut in the center of the tread (just my luck right?), anyway it did seal right up, but I took the tire off and patched it from the inside anyway. After watching that vid, I may give the 28mm a go.
Old 12-04-18, 09:56 PM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
After every ride, I clean my chain and take off my rear wheel to floss the cassette.
That is either supreme dedication or one definition of insanity!
Old 12-05-18, 06:33 AM
garciawork

Bikes: Mikkelsen custom steel, Santa Cruz Chameleon SS, old trek trainer bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I don't really like Mavic wheels from a proprietary parts standpoint, but man its hard to argue against how well tubeless works... Accidentally messing up the tape while installing a tire is one of the most infuriating things I have experienced, doing away with that is pretty awesome. If I ever see some going for a reasonable price, I'll probably have to buy 'em.
Old 12-05-18, 06:53 AM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 57 Posts
I have not been a fan of Mavic hubs and don’t like the idea of rim specific tires or tire specific rims.But it does seem like Mavic has come up with an impressive system there.My hope is that other manufacturerers will adopt the MAVIC standard. I wonder if those tires will work with my HED rims.

Last edited by DOS; 12-05-18 at 07:25 AM. Reason: fix major type o.
Old 12-05-18, 06:58 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Hey all,

Just got a set of the Ksyrium Pro UST Disc wheels and used them for the first time on Saturday. It's been 16 years since I had a new set of wheels. My question concerns the rear hub and cassette. After every ride, I clean my chain and take off my rear wheel to floss the cassette. While flossing, the cassette popped off the rear hub as one unit. It looks like it was designed that way to make maintenance easier (ie get to the bearings etc)....but I wanted to check with you guys, Is this a normal? Do wheels made now days have this? I pushed the cassette (as a unit) back on and it seems to lock in place and is held together by the thru axle when mounted on the bike.

Thanks
This should not happen. Something isn't assembled properly-either from the factory, or from your somewhat overzealous cleaning regime.

The wheel should stay assembled when not on the bike.
Old 12-05-18, 07:18 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by DOS
I have not been a fan of Mavic hubs and don’t like the idea of rim specific tires or tire specific rims.But it does seem like Mavic has come up with an impressive system there.My hope is that other manufacturerers will with my HED rims.
My sense of it is that Mavic didn't invent anything, they just made tolerances between tire and rim very precise. That would indicate that wheels and tires might have to be matched but that other manufacturers can do it too. And, I'm guessing, there could be crosses between wheels and tires. Just guessing.
Old 12-05-18, 07:19 AM
jadocs

Yes I am completely OCD when it comes to bike maintenance. I have a 16yr old bike that is essentially in brand new condition on the original chain (still within spec), not because it doesn't get ridden but because I do a quick clean/floss/wipe/relube after every ride. It never gets to the point where I need to degrease my components.

Don't get me wrong, the cassette didn't just fall off the free hub. I was flossing the biggest cog from the back while applying pressure towards the front. So you had forward pressure in addition to the cog turning. It completely locks into place. You just don't need tools to remove it. You would understand if you saw what I was trying to describe.
Old 12-05-18, 07:30 AM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 57 Posts
My sense of it is that Mavic didn't invent anything, they just made tolerances between tire and rim very precise. That would indicate that wheels and tires might have to be matched but that other manufacturers can do it too. And, I'm guessing, there could be crosses between wheels and tires. Just guessing.
Sorry for missing words in my earlier post. Meant to say that I hoped others would adopt common standards. I would hate to see with tubless tires and rims what happened with bottom brackets after Cannondale relaeased a new standard that they hoped others would use. Rather than one new standard, we have confusing array of BB standards. I don’t want to have to decipher multiple standards to determine if my rims will work with a specific brand of tire.
Old 12-05-18, 07:45 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by GuitarBob
That is either supreme dedication or one definition of insanity!
Does more harm than good pulling it apart that much FWIW.
Old 12-05-18, 07:54 AM
jadocs

Originally Posted by Campag4life
Does more harm than good pulling it apart that much FWIW.

I use Whipperman Connex stainless chains. The quick link is designed to be taken apart by hand as many times as one wants without ill effect. That's the only thing that gets taken apart. Then it's simply running the chain through my hand using an old t-shirt to get the funk off. I floss the cassette on the wheel and wipe off the chainring. I'm really not that bad LOL
Old 12-05-18, 08:17 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I use Whipperman Connex stainless chains. The quick link is designed to be taken apart by hand as many times as one wants without ill effect. That's the only thing that gets taken apart. Then it's simply running the chain through my hand using an old t-shirt to get the funk off. I floss the cassette on the wheel and wipe off the chainring. I'm really not that bad LOL
Personally, from a safety standpoint, I wouldn't repeatedly take apart 'any' chain master link...even those specially designed for it. Every time 'any' master link...non reusable or reusable is taken apart it weakens the detent that holds the plate in place. Catastrophic failure of a master link while out of the saddle is something I want to avoid on a bike. In fact, it is one of the reasons Campy has been steadfast in using a rivet to close their chains...no masterlink. Liability. Shimano same thing until recently. The new Cervelo I just bought with Shimano Ultegra chain has a rivet and no master link. You need a chain tool to take the chain apart.

I use KMC missing link master links in all my chains...the ones that are meant to be reused...but I do so VERY sparingly. If they have been apart 5 times, they are throw out. Not worth the risk.

In all my years and I am OCD about my bikes as well, I have never heard of anybody taking off the chain every ride.

I wish you well.
Old 12-05-18, 09:00 AM
jadocs

Campag thanks....

I just picked up a set of 28mm Yksion Pro UST tires for $64 for the pair off eBay so I will be able to test out how they feel in comparison to the 25's I have on there now. The video posted above claims that the 28 has less rolling resistance (according to Mavic).
Old 12-05-18, 09:08 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Campag thanks....

I just picked up a set of 28mm Yksion Pro UST tires for $64 for the pair off eBay so I will be able to test out how they feel in comparison to the 25's I have on there now. The video posted above claims that the 28 has less rolling resistance (according to Mavic).
Would have to compare the tire specs but in general, the reason why people ride 25's is because they have less rolling resistance than 28's. 25's are also lighter and more aero. Reason for 28's is greater air volume and more compliant ride. They can be run at lower air pressure without strike through or pinch flatting.

But unless the roads are bumpy 25's are faster...unless there is a big disparity in tire construction.
Old 12-05-18, 09:09 AM
noodle soup

Personally, from a safety standpoint, I wouldn't repeatedly take apart 'any' chain master link...even those specially designed for it. Every time 'any' master link...non reusable or reusable is taken apart it weakens the detent that holds the plate in place.
have you ever used a Whipperman Connex quick link? They are unlike other designs, and there's no detent that holds the link together.
Old 12-05-18, 09:15 AM
jadocs

Would have to compare the tire specs but in general, the reason why people ride 25's is because they have less rolling resistance than 28's. 25's are also lighter and more aero. Reason for 28's is greater air volume and more compliant ride. They can be run at lower air pressure without strike through or pinch flatting.

But unless the roads are bumpy 25's are faster...unless there is a big disparity in tire construction.
It's the same tire, same specs just different size. Watch what Mavic says near the end of the video above. Both were tested using the same methods and the closed course they tested them on appear to be smooth tarmac.

have you ever used a Whipperman Connex quick link? They are unlike other designs, and there's no detent that holds the link together.
This is true there is no detent
Old 12-05-18, 10:44 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Not to my eye they aren't. Perhaps you see them differently.
Old 12-05-18, 10:48 AM
noodle soup

Not to my eye they aren't. Perhaps you see them differently.
if you have used a Whippermann Connex link, you would see the difference.

Old 12-05-18, 10:48 AM
jadocs

Edit, Noodle and I posted at the same time
Old 12-05-18, 03:04 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
if you have used a Whippermann Connex link, you would see the difference.

https://youtu.be/UqGMPAFtWgo
Not to argue...

de·tent[dəˈtent]

NOUN
  1. a catch in a machine which prevents motion until released.

If the Wipperman link didn't have a detent, there would be a lot of face plants out on the road. It has a different kind of detent compared to other master links like the KMC missing link which uses an interference fit. We each have our preferences. Perhaps you prefer the Wipperman. That's ok. I prefer the Missing link which takes a special pliers to remove because the 'detent' is an interference fit compared to the 'detent' of the Wipperman which requires rotation to disassemble.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.