Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Training wheel height adjustment

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-18, 02:24 PM
garciawork

Bikes: Mikkelsen custom steel, Santa Cruz Chameleon SS, old trek trainer bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

I am sure this is a stupid question, and I am probably missing something incredibly easy, but I just picked up a bike for my daughter off Craigslist, and it has these training wheels: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/tr...hoCvQcQAvD_BwE

How do I adjust the height? There are three spots along the axles for different height, but the nut and bolt turn with each other so I can't figure out how to loosen anything. Is there a trick I am missing?
Old 09-03-18, 07:49 PM
dscheidt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by garciawork
I am sure this is a stupid question, and I am probably missing something incredibly easy, but I just picked up a bike for my daughter off Craigslist, and it has these training wheels: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/tr...hoCvQcQAvD_BwE

How do I adjust the height? There are three spots along the axles for different height, but the nut and bolt turn with each other so I can't figure out how to loosen anything. Is there a trick I am missing?
My guess is you can pry the cover off the front of the wheel, so you can put a wrench on the head of the bolt.
Old 09-04-18, 09:17 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Please consider buying your daughter a balance bike as a first bike. It will help her learn to ride much quicker than training wheels. It will help her learn to balance quicker, and give her much more confidence when learning to ride a bike with pedals. Or you can try keeping the bike you have, removing the cranks and chain, and lowering the seat as low as possible to make a balance bike. I've help many parents get over the fear of not having training wheels, all report back that the kids had not problems with the balance bike, and learned to ride more confidently than those that used training wheels.
Old 09-04-18, 09:20 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
+1 on the balance bike.
Old 09-04-18, 10:25 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7372 Post(s)
Liked 2,524 Times in 1,467 Posts
You don't need a balance bike, but the approach is one I endorse. Unscrew the pedals and lower the saddle, and you have a balance bike. Training wheels are built on the idea that you learn to pedal first and balance second. I think that's backwards.

Remember that the left pedal (the one you put your left foot on) is reverse-threaded, so unscrew it by turning it clockwise.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-04-18, 10:37 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 863 Posts
My Local has Wald Training wheels for bikes that don't include them in the original package.

As confidence increases, raise the training wheels ..

though mastering balance first then adding pedaling is a good approach..