Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

I am done with upgrades or.....

Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Old 07-09-18, 10:06 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 340 Posts

This spring, I promised myself I would not buy any upgrades for my fatty. Saddle, Pedals, stem, bar ends, computer, fender. Enough is enough. Riding the other day, I noticed some play on my pedals (NCS-17). Taking a better look, I also saw major paint loss. Only about 500 km on the pedals. The company advised me that maintenance on the bearings is not recommended, so... looked at some cheap chinese knock-offs, but kept looking for something better. In the end, I bought Raceface Chesters in matching neon green.
An upgrade, is not really an upgrade if the part needs to be replaced. Right?
Old 07-10-18, 07:27 AM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
I think you can still upgrade a worn out component. It's an upgrade! Replacing like with like wouldn't be an upgrade.
Old 07-10-18, 04:03 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
your rules, I say upgrade all you want and I will not say a thing
Old 09-26-18, 03:17 PM
drowling23

Bikes: R&M Delite GX Rohloff, Crescent Elgar 27,5 FS, Haibike SDURO HardFour 4.0

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I upgrade to death. It's part of the fun. Also if you have several bikes, you can have gear migrate from your latest-and-greatest to your older bikes as you wear it out.
Eventually all that's left is the frame and any components that are expensive and nice (e.g., a Rohloff hub). Everything gets replaced, some items immediately, some later.
Don't feel bad about constantly improving your bike.
Old 09-27-18, 05:53 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
This spring, I promised myself I would not buy any upgrades for my fatty. Saddle, Pedals, stem, bar ends, computer, fender. Enough is enough. Riding the other day, I noticed some play on my pedals (NCS-17). Taking a better look, I also saw major paint loss. Only about 500 km on the pedals. The company advised me that maintenance on the bearings is not recommended, so... looked at some cheap chinese knock-offs, but kept looking for something better. In the end, I bought Raceface Chesters in matching neon green.
An upgrade, is not really an upgrade if the part needs to be replaced. Right?
I'm not sure about the color, but the RF chester pedals are great. Super grip, low profile and easy to service. They don't have ball bearings, but just an axle you clean and re-grease. Best idea ever. Even if it is a simpler bearing, rolling resistance is not higher than a ball bearing.

It is not an upgrade because it is an necessity to be safe and comfortable. More comfort = less pain. Basically a healthcare expense.