Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Tyest

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-18, 10:47 PM
JehD

Bikes: 1981 Bertin C34 - 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 86 Posts
Tyest

So I’ve had more than a few bikes over the years, bought and sold as my desire and needs changed and am looking for another one.

I’ll try to make this brief. A few years back I had a Trek DS 8.4. Loved the bike. I wasn’t much of an off-roader but I liked the beefier build of the DS. The suspension fork was more than enough to take up the bumps, at the time a comfortable geometry, awesome hydraulic disc brakes and more than enough gearing for any of the hills I was going to ride but something came up and I needed some cash so it went.

TREK 8.4DS

I have an Electra Cruiser (steel frame- coaster brake) that I bought almost 10 years ago to just go riding around town with my wife. No complaints here. It’s a great bike for what it is riding around town but with a top speed of about 6-7 mph. So for me a little slow for anything more than a few miles.

Electra Cruise 1

I wanted something more.

So about a year and half ago o bought an Electra Moto 3i. I got it on sale and it hit the price point I was looking for. The larger 29 in tires took up most of the bumps and were wider than the 700/38s on the trek so were more stable, and having 3 speeds was enough for what I wanted at the time. I upgraded the grips, pedals and got a nice Brooks saddle and thought all was well.

Until this last weekend. I signed up for a local tour and since the summer had been brutally hot I hadn’t ridden much over the summer so I was going in to this a little off the saddle and my longest ride had only been at my lunch time for 15-20 minutes at a time. went on a 25 mile tour over relatively mild terrain and while not so much worn out I felt beat up. Shoulders, elbows, neck and for all that is holy my sit bones (ie my ass) is still screaming more than a few days later. I’m not saying it’s the bike it was me. I was diagnosed with arthritis over 15 years ago and while I’m being treated there is still degradation of my joints. The bike performed beautifully. I couldn't have asked for more but my body failed me.

So that being said I’ve lost some weight over the summer and I love riding and I want to continue the local tours in the 20-30 mile range I don’t feel either bike will work. The Cruiser is too slow and limiting with its gear range (1) and the Moto while nice with 3 speeds (I averaged about 14 mph on the flats with a high of 26) and 8-10 on the hills but I think I need a more upright position and a few more gears.

I looked into a 7-8 speed internal hub for the cruiser and while possible it’s $300 with the hub,shifter and building of the wheel and it still leaves me with a coaster brake. While fine normally my knees have issues backpedaling so I would need to add a front brake and this would put me into the range of new bike.
I like Electra’s and part of the reason I’m a fan is I have a local Trek Superstore and they sell Electra’s here so I have options and I’ve purchased 5 bikes over the years from them and have always been treated well so I go back.

In my mind I’m looking for a combination of all 3 bikes if that’s at all possible. The more available gearing of the DS. The bigger tires and disc brakes of the Moto and it’s ability to go off road (while the DS had knobbier tires and a suspension fork I feel that my weight of over 225 was a detriment on anything but pavement) and the relaxed posture and comfort of my Cruiser.

Looking no further than my local Trek-Electra dealer I came up with the Cruiser 7D, lux 7D and Lux Fat tire 7D Cruiser geometry- with a nice springy seat, a wide range gear set and all within the price range.
The Cruiser 7D is steel with a low end seat for $320
The Lux 7D is an aluminum frames with a better seat for about $420
The the Fat tire version appears to be be a fat tire version of the Lux 7D with fat tires, and disc brakes for about $620
Honestly I like steel bikes. So if it was just between the Cruiser and the Lux I would just get the Steel one and get a better seat. But there is something so intriguing about this one and it just looks cool to me.

Anyone have any experience with it? Honestly Im looking for a nice cruise mostly pavement for 20-25 miles with a little hardback and some bad roads where I live.. Thoughts - comments - criticisms - you're an idiot - this is the coolest thing since sliced bread Lets hear it

Last edited by JehD; 10-02-18 at 11:27 PM. Reason: TEST
Old 10-03-18, 05:24 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
That fat tire Lux 7D is a nice looking bike and probably doable for what you want (20-25mile rides). However, imo the ride will be at your pace because even with the 7spd and head wind will slow you down.

Unfortunately, I have yet to find my "swiss-army knife" bike so I currently have 4. My recent purchase is a Felt Speedway 2. It' a heavy Cruiser with 4" wide tires, 2spd, and coaster brake. Although its slow (especially into a head wind) its great for comfort and relaxed rides (1-2hrs).

I think if you tweek your Moto (tires/pressure, handlebars, gearing) the 3spd may still meet your new needs......
Old 10-03-18, 02:53 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
Put an adjustable stem on the moto 3i, and get a better seat. Then build up the 8 speed igh wheel and enjoy. Believe me, just swapping out the seat and stem will make a world of difference. I have various neck and back issues, and those 2 changes really helped me a lot.
Old 10-03-18, 03:14 PM
JehD

Originally Posted by Speedway2
That fat tire Lux 7D is a nice looking bike and probably doable for what you want (20-25mile rides). However, imo the ride will be at your pace because even with the 7spd and head wind will slow you down.

Unfortunately, I have yet to find my "swiss-army knife" bike so I currently have 4. My recent purchase is a Felt Speedway 2. It' a heavy Cruiser with 4" wide tires, 2spd, and coaster brake. Although its slow (especially into a head wind) its great for comfort and relaxed rides (1-2hrs).

I think if you tweek your Moto (tires/pressure, handlebars, gearing) the 3spd may still meet your new needs......
thats kind of what I was curious about. I’m not a racer by any stretch and I’m comparing how I did on a recent 25 mile tour. It was like 2:40 and I’m happy with the time it was just I hurt bad by the time it was over. Even 2 weeks later my shoulder is still sore. If I could average 12 mph I would be ok with that.

Originally Posted by tds101
Put an adjustable stem on the moto 3i, and get a better seat. Then build up the 8 speed igh wheel and enjoy. Believe me, just swapping out the seat and stem will make a world of difference. I have various neck and back issues, and those 2 changes really helped me a lot.
i thought doing just this but an 8 speed hub with a build and a new seat an bar or stem is going to be around $400 but maybe more bike time and I won’t need the gears.

I’m not sure.
Old 10-03-18, 03:16 PM
JehD

Changing the thread title.

Mods. Any way to change the thread title. To “ Electra Lux 7D Fat tire opinions.

Thanks.
Old 10-05-18, 12:00 AM
AtNjineer
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 23 Posts
What’s tyest

Sorry I didn’t read much I like you third bike. How much do you like it? If you love then buy a $237 Shimano Alfine8 hub with the $25 gear changer and another $25 to $40 for the shifters. Then you’ll pay $55 to $65 to get the hub installed into your rear wheel and have to pay ??? To hook up the gear changer and shifters if you don’t know how to. Or you could buy a road bike second hand for less and tighten everything up. Adding another bike to you collection. I’m at 13 bikes what are y’all at lol