Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Going tubeless

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Going tubeless

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-19, 09:21 PM
treebound 
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
Going tubeless

I’ve got a 2013 Trek Stache 7, have put it up for sale a couple times over the past 12 months due to not riding it much (rain driven trail closures last summer plus family stuff), and I’m tired of low-balling whiners inquiring about it (offering less than the low balling bicycle blue book and then complaining when I say no), so I’ve decided to just keep it and put lots of miles on it when and where I can.

The specs and wheels say tubeless ready, and several youtube videos makes the conversion look simple enough.

I looked at a nearby LBS website and they have some sort of rim strip that looks like a flat tube with the valvestem attached, are those the way to go now, or should I go with rim sealing tape and separate valve stems? Also is Stan’s sealant the way to go, or are there any choices to avoid if I don’t go with Stan’s due to cost or local availability?

I peeked inside one of the tires tonight to see what rim tape is already in there and it looks like a woven cloth-type tape, so the rims are probably not as tubless-ready as the label might imply.

This bike doesn’t take the plus size tires so I’ll be sticking with the 29x2.3” tires. Not sure if I’ll be needing one of those blaster tank floor pumps. I do have a compressor at home to seat the tire beads.

Thanks in advance for any input or suggestions.

Old 03-15-19, 07:28 AM
grubetown

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Make sure the tires are tubeless also. Some have luck with non tubeless tires but you will probably need more sealant if your tires aren’t tubeless designed.

For sure you need rim tape, sealant and valve stems.

A compressor is the best way to seat the tires. The first time you do it and the bead pops it’s a little unnerving.

Make sure to spread sealant evenly and then go for a good ride right after to seal it all up.
Old 03-15-19, 10:41 AM
treebound 

I’ll have to look up the specs on the tires, I didn’t see any markings on the tires to tell me if they were tubeless or tube only.

thanks for the input.
Old 03-15-19, 04:58 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
The rims are fine. Peel out the cloth tape and replace with yellow Stans or Gorilla tape. You will also want valve stems.

Non tubeless tires can work oooookay but it’s not guaranteed. On my bike, similarly “tubeless ready” rims with tires not marked, I used two layers of Gorilla tape. Sealing at the bead hasn’t been a problem but I get seepage through the sidewalls.
Old 03-15-19, 05:38 PM
treebound 

I stopped at an LBS today at lunch and got cable and housing for the dropper seat post, and priced options for the tubeless switch as well. Right now I’m thinking of running the tubes in the current tires while I get the rim tape and stems and sealant on order. Then I’ll start shopping for legitimate tubeless tires and do the swap in a few months. With the trails so spongy right now I’m thinking I’ll have a bunch of pavement miles on the bike for awhile.