Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Five Boro Founder Killed by Hit and Run

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Five Boro Founder Killed by Hit and Run

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-19, 10:21 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
In my experience, most people drive at or a little above whatever speed limit is posted, but few drive at unsafe speeds. As far as I know, traffic engineers understand this and set limits accordingly.
Old 03-26-19, 12:49 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
This took place nearly 2 hours after sunrise. The sun is truly challenging for about 30 minutes after sunrise or 30 minutes before sunset, and that's being liberal. Now if a motorist wants to use it as an excuse, its very presence in the sky can be used as an excuse anytime between sunrise and sunset.
The sun is lower much later at northern latitudes this time of year. And many people never wash their windshields. The sun ahead of me, even high up, hitting a filthy windshield is an issue for me every time I have to drive my wife's car. I just hit the squirters and wipers but she can drive through a fog of filth I can barely see through, as do other friends of mine. Sun hitting a dirty windshield increases the amount of time there is issue with seeing perfectly. Then there are the sun visors on cars. I can pull most rental car visors down until I can only see one inch of the road ahead. Add a filthy windscreen with the sun anywhere in front of me I can easily see how a cyclist in the road might go unseen until he/she was in my lap. And nobody's perfect even sober and undistracted (other than the danged sun blinding them).

^^This is the imperfect world we ride in, regardless of where the sun is exactly. When did you clean your windshield the last time?

Last edited by JoeyBike; 03-26-19 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-27-19, 09:06 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
The sun is lower much later at northern latitudes this time of year. And many people never wash their windshields. The sun ahead of me, even high up, hitting a filthy windshield is an issue for me every time I have to drive my wife's car.

I just hit the squirters and wipers but she can drive through a fog of filth I can barely see through, as do other friends of mine

Sun hitting a dirty windshield increases the amount of time there is issue with seeing perfectly.

Then there are the sun visors on cars. I can pull most rental car visors down until I can only see one inch of the road ahead. Add a filthy windscreen with the sun anywhere in front of me I can easily see how a cyclist in the road might go unseen until he/she was in my lap.

And nobody's perfect even sober and undistracted (other than the danged sun blinding them)[

^^This is the imperfect world we ride in, regardless of where the sun is exactly. When did you clean your windshield the last time?
Thanks for this post @JoeyBike, to remind us about the additional problems for the driver facing the sun, and thus for us too. Personally for me when riding into the sun I prefer a sun visor rather than sunglasses, and I have even posted (link) about the disadvantages of photochromic lenses.

IMO, my main strategy to more closely monitor the behavior of drivers behind us also facing into the sun, is even closer than usual scrutiny of my rear view mirrors.

A converse problem with rearview mirrors occurs when the sun is behind:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I use both left and right rearview mirrors, in my case Take-a-Look eyeglass mounted ones. I got the idea from a cycling companion who used only a right hand mirror. The additional right hand mirror affords a pretty good rearward view, but is particularly useful:

1. Riding on the left-hand side of a one-way street
2. Riding in the middle or left lanes of a two-way thoroughfare
3. In a rotary
4. On a curved road to the right
5. When passing entrance/exit ramps from a freeway, with the right hand mirror, I can view the ramps to my right, and stay wide of them, while watching upcoming traffic on my left, all while almost continuously looking straight ahead
6. When the sun is directly behind, usually one mirror can be positioned away from the glare of the sun.

As a corollary, this morning (2/5/18) at about 7:30 to 7:45 AM on mysouthbound commute, the bright, low-lying Winter morning sun was directly at the level of my left hand rearview mirror, and the sun glare made it difficult to get a fix on that mirror. My right hand, west side mirror was free of glare, with a good rearward view.

That was auspicious because on my otherwise straight 14-mile southbound ride, during that interval I had to proceed from the right side of the road to make three left hand turns,and on two occasions I was closely followed by trucks...
...In particular though, I rode about 4 miles this morning (2/27) at 13 ͦ F without discomfort. On my ride, I noted these two seemingly February-specific phenomena that I might consider harbingers of Spring:
this morning [2/5/18, and 7:30 AM, 2/27/19] at about 7:30 to 7:45 AM on my southbound commute, the bright, low-lying Winter morning sun was directly at the level of my left hand rearview mirror, and the sun glare made it difficult to get a fix on that mirror.
+10 to overcast, especially in the AM, or PM around sunrise / sunset with the sun directly at about eye level. It seems that sometime in early February though, I start to notice some welcome radiant heat from the sun.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-27-19 at 06:58 PM.