Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

n+1 d+1

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-19, 12:23 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,029 Times in 1,427 Posts
n+1 d+1

If all goes well, n+1 arrives tomorrow. Hellfire red is all I'm going to say for now.

-Matt
Old 03-27-19, 04:17 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
"D+1" doesn't mean divorce does it? As in "one more bike, one more divorce."

-Kedosto
Old 03-27-19, 04:24 PM
MattTheHat 

D does indeed stand for divorce. But d means day.

I’ve already asked for forgiveness. I have an awesome wife!

-Matt
Old 03-28-19, 09:32 AM
MattTheHat 

Apparently I didn't get my order in early enough to ship yesterday. So yesterday was d+2 and today is d+1. Hopefully.

-Matt
Old 03-28-19, 01:39 PM
illdrag0n

Bikes: 2014 Focus Mares AX 2.0, 2019 Cube Litening C:62 Race Disc Teamline

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 68 Posts
Canyon endurace?
Old 03-28-19, 02:10 PM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by illdrag0n
Canyon endurace?
That would be correct!

-Matt
Old 03-28-19, 03:54 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
That would be correct!

-Matt
Sweet bike!! I'm doing the BWR recon ride starting from their San Diego Showroom this Sunday.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 03-28-19, 05:52 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts

-Matt
I believe the full formula is "N+1; D-1", as in the correct number of bikes is N+1 (one more than you currently have), but D-1 (one less than what will get you divorced)
Old 03-28-19, 09:12 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Correct rubyrad. I’m safe I guess I’m at D-3
Old 03-29-19, 09:57 AM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by jsigone
Sweet bike!! I'm doing the BWR recon ride starting from their San Diego Showroom this Sunday.
San Diego is probably just about perfect this time of year. Enjoy your Sunday ride!

-Matt
Old 03-29-19, 02:18 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I’ve already asked for forgiveness.
Which is far easier than asking permission.
Old 03-29-19, 02:52 PM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Which is far easier than asking permission.
Precisely.

-Matt
Old 03-30-19, 07:17 PM
MattTheHat 

Put the bike together yesterday afternoon but had a get together to go to and didn’t get a chance to ride it. The stack on this bike is significantly lower than my Diverge. As in when sitting side by side, the flats on the Endurace are just higher than the drop on the Diverge. The Diverge does have a 12 degree stem on it. The Endurace came with the stem mounted 6 degrees down, but flipping it 6 degrees up isn’t going to get anywhere near where I need it. I’ll probably take the 12 degree stem off the Diverge and put the stock one back on. I also picked up some Specialized Hover bars that will add 15mm. I’ve got a feeling I might have to go with 17 or 24 degree stem.

I slipped on a pair of GP5000TL in 32mm. The rims were already taped and very nicely at that. The tires went on a little tighter than on the Roval SLX24 rims on the Diverge, but did not require levers. The tires sealed immediately.

A quick trip trip around the block confirmed the bars are too low. The saddle height was set according to the manual and it seems a bit low. The Ultegra drivetrain is MUCH crisper than the 105/Praxis combo on the Diverge. I can only conclude this has to do with the Praxis crankset as the 105 drivetrain is often said to be almost as smooth as the Ultegra.

I’m not sure this bike will be as comfortable as the Diverge. It’s definitely sportier, and I suspect a bit faster on the road. Seems like the handling is similar but a bit more lively on the Endurace.

I’ll know more after getting the stem and bars sorted and get the saddle height and front to back spacing set up.

-Matt
Old 03-31-19, 11:33 AM
MattTheHat 

Flipped the stem up 6 degrees instead of down and twisted the bars to be a bit more level. Agusted the seat position up a bit. The front is still too low, but a 12 degree stem and the hover bars should get it about right.

The bike is definitely a bit quicker than the Diverge. It doesn’t seem any harder to spin the 50/11 top gear than it does the 48/11 top gear on the Diverge. Interesting.

The ride ode is definitely a little harsher. But not unbearable.

-Matt

Last edited by MattTheHat; 04-01-19 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-01-19, 09:44 AM
MattTheHat 

I've got about 55 miles on the bike so far. The seat will have to go. I was hoping it might work out as it's nicely padded, though narrow. A bit to narrow for me, I think.

The Ultegra drivetrain is VERY smooth! I'm not sure what to think about the gears. I would have thought I would feel the difference between the 50/11 on this bike and the 48/11 on the Diverge. The 50/11 is definitely faster, but it doesn't seem any harder to spin. This is curious to me. Might be better wheels, the lighter bike weight (only 3 pounds or so), could be a better bottom bracket, or it could just be my imagination. But after 30 miles, my legs can definitely feel the effects of the extra gearing. Like I said, curious.

I flipped the stem which has helped increase the stack, but it's still a bit too low for my preference. I need to install the Specialized Hover bars I picked up Saturday, and I think I'll end up with a 12-17 degree stem if I can find one for the 1-1/4" steerer tube. Plenty of stems for 1-1/8 but not so many for 1-1/4.

The Endurace definitely seems a bit quicker. With the higher gearing, lighter weight and lower front end, it certainly should be. And it handles slightly better. It is also harsher than the Diverge. Getting the seat swapped for something more comfortable and increasing the stack a bit more will certainly help, but based on my first two rides, the Diverge would be my pick for a long ride.

-Matt
Old 04-01-19, 09:50 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts

-Matt
If she is so awesome, why the need to ask for forgivenss.

I don’t get that. Not meaning to rain on your parade, but I don’t get having to ask for forgiveness for buying a bike. I assume that you didn’t dip into the mortgage or the kids’s college fund.

Enjoy your new ride.
Old 04-01-19, 09:55 AM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia

If she is so awesome, why the need to ask for forgivenss.

I don’t get that. Not meaning to rain on your parade, but I don’t get having to ask for forgiveness for buying a bike. I assume that you didn’t dip into the mortgage or the kids’s college fund.

Enjoy your new ride.
It was an attempt at humor.

-Matt
Old 04-01-19, 10:19 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
It was an attempt at humor.

-Matt
I gathered as much; please take no offense.

OTOH I had (past tense) a friend who tried to hide major bike purchases from his wife. When he asked if I would take delivery for him, so his wife wouldn’t notice I told him I charge a 50% fee off the price of the purchases.

He got mad but I told him that 50% was a cheap price to cover up his deception.

He hasn’t talked to me since then.

Oh well.

Old 04-01-19, 10:34 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
great looking bike, one of the fav colors they offer. Getting new bike and trying to fit it like the old bike is always a tug of war. But if the old bike was such a good fit, why get a new one? would be my thinking. You bought the canyon to be lighter and faster, more efficient for longer rides, all of those frame angle are slightly different than a Diverge which in my opinion is up upright bike, head tube is too tall to be otherwise. You will find after the first month that the Canyon is awesome and you get used to the bit more aggressive fit you bought. If you have days to be more relaxed ride you can always ride the Diverge. Likely won't ride the Diverge for a very long time.

Seat may feel bit narrow but they do help open the hips up for the saddle to seat drop. If you can ride past the first hour w/o being saddle sore, the saddle should work for you. Mind you have some decent shorts too.

I had the same fit issues when I got my latest bike, after I fit it and adapted to it, I found the bars were almost 2" lower than my previous bike which had even shorter head tube. Fit was awesome, on the more aggressive fit, just did a double century on it a week ago w/o soreness.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 04-01-19, 10:54 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
OTOH I had (past tense) a friend who tried to hide major bike purchases from his wife. When he asked if I would take delivery for him, so his wife wouldn’t notice I told him I charge a 50% fee off the price of the purchases.

Oh well.

I have a friend whose dad is basically a con man. Or maybe fraud artist? One time he showed me how he kept 20s folded between the pictures in his wallet, proudly explaining that his wife would never find them there. Left a very bad taste, but I was just in high school, I didn't say anything. I should have demanded a confidence fee for 'protecting' his secret from her. (He might have even been impressed, speaking his language that way)
Old 04-01-19, 10:55 AM
MattTheHat 

I gathered as much; please take no offense.

Oh well.

Nah, it's all good.

-Matt
Old 04-01-19, 11:02 AM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by jsigone
great looking bike, one of the fav colors they offer. Getting new bike and trying to fit it like the old bike is always a tug of war. But if the old bike was such a good fit, why get a new one? would be my thinking. You bought the canyon to be lighter and faster, more efficient for longer rides, all of those frame angle are slightly different than a Diverge which in my opinion is up upright bike, head tube is too tall to be otherwise. You will find after the first month that the Canyon is awesome and you get used to the bit more aggressive fit you bought. If you have days to be more relaxed ride you can always ride the Diverge. Likely won't ride the Diverge for a very long time.

Seat may feel bit narrow but they do help open the hips up for the saddle to seat drop. If you can ride past the first hour w/o being saddle sore, the saddle should work for you. Mind you have some decent shorts too.

I had the same fit issues when I got my latest bike, after I fit it and adapted to it, I found the bars were almost 2" lower than my previous bike which had even shorter head tube. Fit was awesome, on the more aggressive fit, just did a double century on it a week ago w/o soreness.
Exactly what I was thinking. Without being a bit lower in the front, the bike would basically ride like the Diverge. I don't mind the stack being an inch or two lower. Any more than that, and it's just not going to work. I tried to ride in the drops this morning, and I could do it, but it wasn't comfortable. The 15mm ride from the Hover bars will likely fix that.

I'm not sure about the saddle. I think it's simply too narrow for my sit bones. I rode just 20 miles yesterday. As soon as I sat on the saddle this morning, I was like oh, that doesn't feel good. At the 30 mile mark this morning I was definitely feeling I didn't want to ride much more than that. I never really felt that way with the saddles I used on the Diverge (and which I had been using on my mountain bike). All were wider. Some were more comfortable than others, but nothing like the kind of discomfort I felt this morning. To put it another way, 100 miles on the Diverge felt better than what I was feeling at 30 this morning. Lots better.

-Matt
Old 04-01-19, 11:42 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I'm in the same-ish boat - have a roubaix and a pinarello Gan and they ride VERY differently. I'm much more stretched out and lower on the Gan but it's great to have the roubaix option too.

I don't think I'd want two bikes set up exactly identically, what would be the point of having two bikes then?

And as for saddles, I had to remove the saddle from my new bike after 2 miles, it was that bad.

Congrats on the new bike! I love that color.