Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Finally! (?)

Old 02-13-19, 02:11 PM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
Get a new circle of friends...sort of.
Family is family. Other than that, get outside and start riding or see if your gym offers a spin class. If so, join it. Nothing like turning the screws on those naysayers than going to the gym or riding outside.

For me, everything really changed or should I say hit home when I bought a bike and then entered a few organized events. Folks then began to take me seriously not that it mattered though.

The real bell weather event was when I completed a 100 mile event ride. That shut up a lot of people I knew and some of them were embarrassed that a 60 year old self labeled fatso, was able to do that.

Now the only comments I get are, "what big events are you going to ride this year?"

So, just carry on. Ignore the negativity and just keep pushing onward. But really, don't wait to get a bike. Riding outside makes all the difference in the world.

john
Old 02-13-19, 02:31 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Awesome work! Yes, closet shopping is fun sometimes. Very surprised what I kept though! I'm at a slow crawl with my own weight loss. But getting evidence of changes despite a pound gain this week. The non scale victories often outweigh the scale!!!
Old 02-13-19, 05:32 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
Rutan, I have plenty of bikes. I used to ride quite a lot, and was good at it, several centuries and a whole slew of club event and other organized rides.

I just let myself slide... a lot... after getting hitched.
I'm on track, and even have a couple rides planned for the future, Tour de Taco in Clovis NM, come October, and if I can swing the time and money, RAGBRAI the next Summer.
There will be others in the meantime, but those are the ones I've talked my brothers into trying with me.
Old 02-17-19, 03:21 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Sunday weigh-in: 280 lbs

Paychecks for my project have started rolling in, so I've ordered some cables for Jake, and brake pads. I already have bar tape (I really don't like the black and white stuff on there right now), and need to strip the handlebar and flush/lube the brifters.
I also ordered some knobbies for the Montague, as I'd like to try actually trail riding some. I'm not looking to go very technical now, but there are some trails nearby I'd like to try.
Old 02-19-19, 05:00 AM
youcoming

Bikes: ParleeZ5/Parlee Chebacco/Trek Farley/Cannondale Slice/Burley Tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
That's great 280 is awesome. I love it when there is a zero at the end and a lower number in front of it. Great job and good news on the new parts for the bikes!
Old 02-24-19, 07:32 PM
velojym

Sunday weigh-in: 275.4

Dealing with some car issues, which has me looking back fondly on my cycle-commuting years. Unfortunately, the nature of my work prevents that, but I'm seriously considering selling my car and picking up a simple motorcycle. I still have the Family Truckster, "Bob", but for just cartin' my happy butt around, I don't need all that steel.
Old 02-24-19, 10:48 PM
youcoming

Bikes: ParleeZ5/Parlee Chebacco/Trek Farley/Cannondale Slice/Burley Tandem

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Still doing great on the loss of you. Cars can be such a pain, I can't wait to get outside and ride but this week looks like more minus temps and lots of wind in my area. I'm so sick of winter.
Old 03-03-19, 09:37 PM
velojym

Slow week, but at least I didn't gain anything.
Old 03-10-19, 11:55 AM
velojym

Alone with the kid this week, and she's very un-keen on getting out to do anything. I do manage to drag her out from time to time, but it's like trying to sail with your anchor dragging.
Old 03-10-19, 08:05 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,023 Times in 989 Posts
Nearly 270 after ducking that nice 275 lb mark--freaking awesome.
Old 03-12-19, 04:53 PM
velojym

I have to say, if it was all about how it feels, relatively, I'd call it a win right where I am.

However, I know better. I'm on a roll!

Last edited by velojym; 03-12-19 at 05:07 PM.
Likes For velojym:
Old 03-17-19, 01:41 PM
velojym

271.6 this morning.

Only a pound down from last week, but I did have a bowl o' noodles last night, and that puppy was a sodium bomb, so I may have quite a bit of retained water hanging around. If so, I'll see a fairly sharp little drop in the next day or two.
Old 03-21-19, 06:26 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Didn't read the thread all the way through, but non-supportive family is a very common obstacle. Often it seems to be because the family has a lot invested in an unhealthy lifestyle and see someone trying to improve as a rejection of the lifestyle *and them*. And it hurts and is a major obstacle to overcome.

I spent last week sitting with an old friend who had quadruple bypass surgery. His wife loves him but cannot see that she has become part of the problem by enabling his unhealthy food and lifestyle choices... and it is starting to harm their kid as well.

I wish I had a positive thing to end this with, but all I can think of is the following advice: seek counselling for the whole family. It doesn't take too big a change to make things better.

Good luck!
Old 03-22-19, 03:14 AM
phile

Bikes: van moof dropdown, btwin triban 100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 10 Posts
honestly not sure why i started reading this thread, but seeing the constant progress made it a really nice read. keep it up velojym
Old 03-22-19, 09:22 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,413 Times in 2,522 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
Didn't read the thread all the way through, but non-supportive family is a very common obstacle. Often it seems to be because the family has a lot invested in an unhealthy lifestyle and see someone trying to improve as a rejection of the lifestyle *and them*. And it hurts and is a major obstacle to overcome.
Yes, or maybe a slightly different possibility, maybe a person is not interested in losing weight, in that, sure it would be nice, but not worth the effort, I'd rather stay comfortable not exercising, and enjoy eating. And a person with that mindset might feel like if their partner suddenly starts eating a lot less and exercising and losing weight, "Hey, I thought we gave up on that together!"
Old 03-24-19, 08:11 AM
velojym

Sunday weigh-in: 269.4

It would have been lower, but last night was a "special" ribeye night at a nearby club, and we've been wanting to give it a try for a while now.
So... there's a lot of steak, potato, and tea swimming around in here that hasn't been processed yet.

I can imagine what a spouse might feel, especially when feeling a lack of general confidence, when their partner suddenly starts shaping up. This was in my mind for a long time as I made half-hearted attempts at losing weight.
It wasn't until I was able to set that sort of "empathy" aside that I let myself make actual progress.
...and what happens later... happens. If she can't take having a fit cyclist for a husband, we'll have to cross that bridge when we come to it.

I don't think I've posted this particular "before" pic yet...

Last edited by velojym; 03-24-19 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-12-19, 10:52 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

How's it going? We've been steadily warming up here which has been great for riding, though this last week or so has seen us enter into a on-off-on all day rain period, so less 'fun' riding and more regular commuting. Today was dry after the morning, so after getting home on the heavy rain bike, I took a much lighter non-fender bike to pick some things up. Felt amazing!

BTW, your dog is adorable.
Old 04-13-19, 09:52 AM
starkmojo
Old and in the way.

Bikes: Jamis Renegade and Kona Jake

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by velojym
Yeah, sometimes I get a little impatient. I pulled Jake off the rack this afternoon to get the model number off the brifters (ST-5500) to see if I can find new nameplates and maybe hood covers. Fortunately, as I've always kept Jake indoors, the hoods are still in good shape, flexible and not a gummy mess. The lube inside the shifters, on the other hand, is a gummy mess.
I'll try to flush it out with some solvent (sans hoods and tape, don't want to mess 'em up), and re-lube. I know I need to be careful to ensure the lube goes all the way through, though.
If that works for a while, great! If/when I decide to give up on the old brifters, I'll probably just go to bar-ends, as I'm used to those on my Surly and the tandem anyway.
The derailleurs seem to be fine, and I'll just clean/lube those. I'll probably go ahead and re-cable. The chain was replaced a few short miles before I more of less stopped riding, so it'll just need a clean and re-lube. The BB was also replaced and only has a few miles on it. That and the headset feel fine, so I'll just inspect those and they'll probably be ok.

More pertinent to this thread, however... I've been looking for a manual for this bike with a rider weight rating, with no luck so far. I did find a more recent manual that did have a max rider weight for their various models, and the aluminum Jake was listed as: 300lb rider/30lb cargo = 330lb total. This is with the stock CXP 23 32h wheelset, which I upgraded in the rear with wheelsmith 14/15/14 spokes after a couple snapped on a short tour. I never had a problem with that wheel after that.
I'm looking forward to getting back together with Jake, and I think that by the time I get the work done and have time to give him a thorough checking, I should be pretty well below those limits. Just to be safe, I do have a clyde wheelset just waiting, and I'll toss the Mavics back on once I'm below, say, 250.

315.8 this morning, by the way.
I have an almost identical bike that is my "Fat Bike". Ridden it since 350 all over no problems. I dont ride it over curbs or off road but I dont baby it either.
Old 04-13-19, 09:58 AM
starkmojo
Old and in the way.

Bikes: Jamis Renegade and Kona Jake

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
My wife is neither helpful nor unhelpful. She has little interest in improving her diet, but she doesnt think its a bad idea when I do. Recently I stalled out on my diet and gave up most carbs and it really helped (lost 17 lbs in two weeks without changing calories or workout). The hardest part is my wife will read and eat potato chips from 10PM - bedtime. Try watching TV an not eating potato chips while someone is eating them right next to you! For a while I was irritated by this until I realized that she hadn't changed, I had. She was just doing her thing and I had to be OK with it. Sometimes I just go to bed now when it bothers me.

me: 299 this morning. Down from 350 a year ago.
Old 04-13-19, 10:18 AM
velojym

Yeah, I had a recent slowdown, in part due to the constant snacking around me.
As of this morning, I'm at 264.4
84.4 lbs down from my HW wager, and probably a hundred or more from my heaviest (scale only goes to 350).

We chose a horrible neighborhood for riding, especially when just starting (again), which makes cycling a 'haul it there' event. While I'm currently mostly walking, I'm looking at several places (hopefully starting Monday) to get some base miles in that aren't too far away.
Jake should be plenty strong for me now... I just need to get that cockpit pulled apart and cleaned/lubed.

The pup is one of our two. His name is Gnibbles (the G is silent)
Old 04-28-19, 07:38 PM
velojym

Today's weigh-in: 259.6
Old 05-03-19, 10:28 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Under 260. Killin' it!
Old 05-05-19, 11:52 AM
velojym

So, just a bit over 90 lbs down from the start of my challenge (over a hundo from when I really started though).

My weight loss has slowed down a little, but as we know, the weight number itself isn't the only metric.

Yeah, I've been a little more sloppy in tracking my food intake, and I need to tighten down on that (family snacking all around me. GAH!), but I'm still losing weight.
Also, I've started some light resistance exercise, just some dumbbell work and body-weight exercises, which have given me some noticeable, yet mild, gains with my musculature. That will also slow the overall weight loss number a little, though it's better for the long run.
Just bought some size 42 shorts, which are, incidentally, the same size as the suit pants I talked about months ago here. The suit fits now... gotta find a good night to use it. This is, for those who don't remember/haven't read my earlier posts, down from the size 54 pants I was needing right before I started this process.
Old 05-12-19, 08:45 AM
velojym

Made it into my suit.

255.8 this morning. 7 lbs left on my HW bet, and the deadline is in October. As I mentioned before, I plan to be well below that by then.

I've re-found the Fat Guy across America guy on Instagram and FB. He appears to be making another, less heralded attempt. I think that's probably for the best, as I believe the hype was part of the problem for his earlier attempt.
I don't know much about him, but this was one of the factors in my finally deciding to crawl out of my Fat Guy body, watching the videos and thinking... "Hey, I'm in better shape than that guy, and he's at least *on* the bike!"

I don't know what all is going on in his life, but I hope he makes it this time.

Last edited by velojym; 05-12-19 at 03:20 PM.
Likes For velojym:
Old 05-13-19, 08:32 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,413 Times in 2,522 Posts
You did make it into your suit, and not just barely! Looks like quite a comfortable fit
Likes For RubeRad:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.