Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

David Michael Anthony

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

David Michael Anthony

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-03, 12:13 AM
arijane
Cycle Harlot

Bikes: Trek 520, Rocky Mountain Blizzard, Centurion Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
D'ya think that this might just be a nifty albeit wacky way to get perrenial sponsorship?
Old 02-18-04, 11:54 PM
jocko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All of this is easy.
He's a fraud.
Maybe he did ride part or all of the bit.
But he's not an engineer, the back injury business is made up, all the stories are fraudulent.
I can't believe how this guy has taken so many people without someone figuring out the truth.
I feel bad for all the sponsors and people who have given this guy money.
Anyone who chooses to dig into this will find out for themselves.
Old 02-19-04, 07:21 AM
Jay H
One less car

Bikes: '08 Soma Groove (commuter/long distance tourer), '97 Lemond Zurich (road commuter/tourer),'01 Seven Axiom Ti, '03 Look KG381i, '01 Santa Cruz Superlite X

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did we lose one?

through all 49 States with this load.
Did Vermont finally secede???

Huh, I commute through all 1 state to get to work!

Jay
Old 02-19-04, 07:21 PM
jocko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Phony
Phony
Phony

Probably hanging out in the Bahamas with all the money he collected.
Old 02-20-04, 06:50 AM
Jay H
One less car

Bikes: '08 Soma Groove (commuter/long distance tourer), '97 Lemond Zurich (road commuter/tourer),'01 Seven Axiom Ti, '03 Look KG381i, '01 Santa Cruz Superlite X

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, the 2004 olympics in Greece is coming up and I"m absolutely positive if he makes it to the Olympics (I'm also pretty sure by now, the people going to the olympics know they're going or at least know their status as a olympian or an alternate), we'll see something on NBC or whoeever is covering the olympics. (God, I hope it's not NBC...) This is exactly what broadcasters love to flood their programming with anything but the sporting events so they can appeal to the couch potatoes of America and everybody goes ooooh and ahhhh.

Jay
Old 02-20-04, 07:24 PM
jocko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you see him on NBC
-it will either be on Cops or America's Most Wanted.

Last edited by jocko; 02-21-04 at 01:01 AM.
Old 07-27-05, 12:20 PM
jocko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well,
he didn't make NBC but he did make the newspaper.
His final act was to cheat one last person.

Saturday, July 23, 2005

CHP says Corona man killed fleeing accident scene on 55

By SALVADOR HERNANDEZ
The Orange County Register

SANTA ANA – A suspected hit-and-run driver running across the Costa Mesa (55) Freeway early Friday morning didn't get far. He was struck by another hit-and- run driver, according to the California Highway Patrol.

The dead man was identified by the Orange County coroner's office as David Anthony, 39, of Corona.

Investigators believe Anthony was involved in a two-car accident about 2:14 a.m. while driving north on the freeway.

Attempting to flee, Anthony ran across the freeway and down the northbound MacArthur Boulevard onramp, where he was hit, said CHP Officer Chris Johnson. The vehicle drove away, leaving the man lying on the onramp.

Anthony was hit a second time by another vehicle as he lay on the ground, Johnson said.

The driver of that vehicle tried to swerve to avoid hitting Anthony, Johnson said.

Unlike the first driver, this one stopped and waited for officers to arrive.

Anthony was pronounced dead at the scene. Police have not determined whether he was alive when he was hit by the second car.
Old 04-20-10, 12:39 PM
thegooddoctor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, fast forward about 6 years. I met this guy while he was riding through Utah and he ended up staying with us for a few days back in February of 2002. I worked for Specialized at the time and he needed some help so we provided some gear so he could be back on the road. He was odd but seemed ......normal enough. I have been wondering what happened to him. Looks like he died!
It's odd to have seen so much press about him at the time and them he seems to have fallen off the earth until I saw this post from 2005 with the article on his death. What was he doing between 2002 and July 23, 2005 (the day he died). I cannot find anything about his being a scammer other than Jocko's post. Who did he scam? his rides etc. Nothing. Strange.
Old 04-20-10, 03:51 PM
stedalus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hate to add to a zombie thread, but I did see this guy in Orange County in 2002. I read an article about him in Adventure Cycling, and then a couple weeks later we saw him on the road! He was winching himself and that massive trailer up a hill. It was a wide road and he was on the other side, so we didn't get to talk to him.

I'm pretty sure that article is not about him. While there isn't much about him on the web anymore, there are at least a few pages dating past 2005 talking about him training for the 2008 Olympics. I doubt he's ever made a team, but it would be interesting to see what he's been up to.
Old 04-20-10, 04:44 PM
Cyclebum

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He's still being used for endorsement by Easton and is spoken of in the present tense on the site. However, the link to his personal site is broken. Is he dead or is he alive? 'Tis a mystery.

https://www.eastonbike.com/PRODUCTS/W...s-anthony.html
Old 04-22-10, 10:54 AM
thegooddoctor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The zombie thread lives on!
I found a little more that might add evidence that the guy who did a hit-and-run and then was killed in a hit-and-run while running from his hit-and-run (confusing, no?) was indeed, our bicycle riding, 1500 lb. trailer toting mystery man.

https://articles.latimes.com/2005/jul...l/me-rbriefs24

This article lists his complete name as David Michael Anthony. I still consider it weird that after all the publicity, funraising (claimed) etc. that surrounded this guy that
there isn't more about him i.e. obit, memorial etc.
Old 04-22-10, 11:02 AM
Joe_Gardner
BikeForums Founder

Bikes: Santa Cruze Superlight, Scott Spark, Surly LHT, Surly Krampus.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
... memories ...

I saw him cranking up parleys canyon a few days (weeks?) after posting this 8 years ago... He looked like he was in a personal hell and not enjoying the ride.

Dr, welcome to BikeForums, your avatar looks familiar, do you ride city creek often?
Old 04-22-10, 11:17 AM
thegooddoctor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Greetings Joe. I live in the Avenues and head into City Creek or the Shoreline often. The avatar is during a horendous hailstorm on Boulder Muntain under a space blanket with my wife. We seem to end up under space blankets in Southern Utah dodging lightning a lot!
I just sent the thread to Dave Iltis (Cycling Utah). Back in Feb of 2002 Dave called me while I was at work to tell me about this crazy trailer totin guy, named David Michael Anthony coming into town and that the guy needed help. At the time (February of 2002) I was running Specialized Bicycles facility in SLC. I called David Michael Anthony (3 first names!) and he came by the factory and we set him up with all kinds of good stuff to keep his jouney going and he ended up spending nights with us before moving on up Parleys Canyon . My impression - he was a pretty nice guy but there was definitely something odd about him that was hard to nail down. We trusted him, we were working and he was hanging around our house and all was OK. I had a little party at our house when he left and with great fanfare, he started down the avenues, couldn't stop the trailer and crashed! We ended up towing his trailer to South Temple, where he hooked it back up to the bike and was off. The end?
Old 04-22-10, 12:45 PM
Joe_Gardner
BikeForums Founder

Bikes: Santa Cruze Superlight, Scott Spark, Surly LHT, Surly Krampus.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a feeling, this is NOT the end of this story. So much more to be told? Let me know if Dave does anything more with this story, such an odd one.

We should ride together some day, I live right at the bottom of City Creek canyon. I'm sure our paths have crossed in the past. Cya around.
Old 04-14-19, 10:17 PM
MsDonna

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I met him in WV

I not only met him in WV once, I saw him again when he came back through and a couple more times. He was a very nice guy searching for his place in the world. I suppose you could say we were both searching for where life was going to take us. I really hate to read this about him because he was actually bringing awareness to hunger in America. The states he traveled through he met with governors and state representatives to make them aware of the many situations of hunger. If you really think about it there’s a whole class of people that hasn’t had a nutritious meal in years and for the little ones never. Fast food and microwaveable meals aren’t the nutrition our body needs to function for the long run. He was very health conscious but due to his extreme biking which I witnessed firsthand, he could eat a bunch! Something I also witnessed.
He did have sponsors and he was all business when it came to hunger, he wasn’t out to take advantage of anyone.
I have always wondered what happened to him. I hate to hear his life ended as it did. That is so very very sad. He had that California Surfer Guy down to a science, at least that is what this WV woman thought. He enjoyed a couple beers or cocktails after a day biking on the road, I truly hope he wasn’t drinking and driving. I want to remember him as I saw him back in the day, a free spirit in search of what life had to offer. He was very kind at a time when I needed kindness.
Rest In Peace guy with the three first names from the WV woman who also has 3 first names. I will always remember you!
Donna