Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano internal gear hub help

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 04-18-19, 12:30 AM
Shahmatt

Bikes: Cruzbike Flamingo folding conversion, Oyama East Village

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi all, I have a problem with a Shimano Nexus 7 sg-7r46 hub which I would appreciate any advice on.

I've been using this hub for a while. In the old configuration the hub was linked directly to the chain ring, but now I've added a rear tensioner so that I can work with different chain rings.

The problem is that if I apply weight to the axle (i.e. sit on the bike) the cog does not turn freely in the reverse direction. A resistance builds up on the rear cog rotation.

The resistance shows when I cock the pedals for take off at a traffic light. I turn the pedals backward and the tensioner gets pulled up. This sometimes dislocates the chain.

I'm guessing the resistance also applies to forward movement, but it is small enough to affect the ride.

I have greased the hub previously (before the tensioner) so I know the internals are working smooth. I do not recall seeing anything amiss.

Does this problem sound familiar? Is this the natural behavior of the hub? Any advice is much appreciated.
Old 04-18-19, 07:13 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
Broken axle?
Old 04-18-19, 07:23 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 367 Posts
What I often see with these hubs is friction between the sprocket and dust cap causing the exact symptoms you describe. If you remove the sprocket, thoroughly clean and lightly lube the contact area, you may find some improvement.
Old 04-18-19, 10:14 AM
Shahmatt

Bikes: Cruzbike Flamingo folding conversion, Oyama East Village

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
What I often see with these hubs is friction between the sprocket and dust cap causing the exact symptoms you describe. If you remove the sprocket, thoroughly clean and lightly lube the contact area, you may find some improvement.
Thanks Dan for your advice. On a previous occasion I had to replace the rubber dust cap because it was distorted and rubbed against the cog. I wonder if it has distorted again ever so slightly to cause to this to happen. I will try what you say and see what happens.
Old 05-13-19, 01:51 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts
Shimano Nexus Hub 3 speed automatic, Bianchi "Auto-Milano"

Hi Dan,
Saw your post for the hub problem, and just wanted to know if you have any experience with an automatic 3 speed version of this Nexus hub. It is mounted on a Bianchi "Auto-Milano" cruiser style bike. Asian made with all shimano, but cheap, except for this transmission which has a digital controller for opting "automatic or manual" shifting. I've yet to ride since I'm not that type of rider. Bought for $45 as a "guest" bike figuring it would be easy for a novice rider with the auto-shifting. Anyways, I'm curious if they had any problems; can't figure why they got rid of a fairly expensive bike that was barely ridden, and I don't want to cause more damage if hub is faulty; priced hub at $400 NOS. I figure if the hub is faulty for some reason I can make it into a basic 3 speed, or single speed. Has odd shimano rear drum/disc brake in the rear. I'm a road bike guy so this is all foreign (no pun!) to me. I just don't want to have problems on a ride with some one if this unit tends to have problems. Thanks for your time. Bike is somewhat buried behind other frames so I haven't a photo yet, but will get one posted in the next day.
Old 05-13-19, 05:19 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,579 Times in 911 Posts
The longer the derailleur arm is the less leverage the spring has. The spring tension is insufficient.

Switch to a short cage derailleur. Short cage derailleurs hold the chain under higher tension.

If it helps visualize: We are dealing with levers & fulcrums.

Oh, & make sure your stops are adjusted properly to hold the alignment. Ocassionially that means a longer screw from the hardware store.

Last edited by base2; 05-13-19 at 06:26 AM.
Old 05-13-19, 05:22 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by HPL
Hi Dan,
Saw your post for the hub problem, and just wanted to know if you have any experience with an automatic 3 speed version of this Nexus hub. It is mounted on a Bianchi "Auto-Milano" cruiser style bike. Asian made with all shimano, but cheap, except for this transmission which has a digital controller for opting "automatic or manual" shifting. I've yet to ride since I'm not that type of rider. Bought for $45 as a "guest" bike figuring it would be easy for a novice rider with the auto-shifting. Anyways, I'm curious if they had any problems; can't figure why they got rid of a fairly expensive bike that was barely ridden, and I don't want to cause more damage if hub is faulty; priced hub at $400 NOS. I figure if the hub is faulty for some reason I can make it into a basic 3 speed, or single speed. Has odd shimano rear drum/disc brake in the rear. I'm a road bike guy so this is all foreign (no pun!) to me. I just don't want to have problems on a ride with some one if this unit tends to have problems. Thanks for your time. Bike is somewhat buried behind other frames so I haven't a photo yet, but will get one posted in the next day.
No, I have never dealt with the automatic model.
Old 05-13-19, 08:42 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts
Shimano Nexus

No, I have never dealt with the automatic model.
Thanks Dan,

It was a shot in the dark. Apparently these bikes are kind of hard to come by with the auto transmission. I'm going to toss on a couple new tubes and see if the thing functions or not. Should be interesting to compare with my 69 Raleigh Sports for shifting and ratios.
Old 05-13-19, 08:47 PM
wsteve464

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
Does the hub jam if you put it back the way it was without the tensioner?

Could be an alignment problem in the tensioner.