Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Was It A Twilight Zone Moment**********

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-19, 08:00 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

Today I went to a Cycling friend’s 30th Birthday Party. He lives about 30 minutes from my house north of Charlotte.

Several of us were sitting on the back deck at the party talking bike stuff. A lady I didn’t know and her husband came up to me and asked if I was riding my bike in Glacier National Park last July. I was surprised by her question but said yes. She said that she recognized my voice more than my looks.....I had on my bike clothes in July so that’s understandable.

As it turns out I was sitting at the park sign at the east entrance after riding the Going to the Sun road through the Park. I was waiting on my wife to finish up some sightseeing before we ate lunch together. The lady and her husband walked up to the sign and I offered to take their picture. They told me they were visiting the area celebrating their wedding anniversary and were from NC. She mentioned that they had a cycling friend back home that rode their bike 200 miles down to the coast. We actually talked for a good while and they were a very pleasant couple.

As it turns out her cycling friend was the 30 year old whose birthday we were celebrating. And wouldn’t you know that I was also on the same 200 mile bike ride to the beach with him. How crazy is that???
Old 04-14-19, 08:26 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,170 Posts
300 some odd million people in the US

10 million alone in NC.

What are the odds ?
Old 04-14-19, 08:54 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,521 Times in 3,023 Posts
Similar interests in cycling and national parks? maybe.
Old 04-15-19, 08:40 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Twilight Zone --
Not really

Outer Limits --
Nope

thinking more like a -----

Would You Believe --
Old 04-15-19, 11:09 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
It's a small world....

I rode across the country with a dozen other people in 1999. During a rest day in Bowling Green, OH a guy pulled into the campground. Finally figured out that we had had dinner with each other the previous year after a club century (He lived in my beck of the woods.) to Brooklyn, NY.

The following year I was touring out west. Stopped into a diner in Eureka, Montana for breakfast. Guy eating there recognized me from when a few of use stopped there for breakfast the previous year.

Eventually made it into Yellowstone N.P. Hadn't gone maybe 5 miles into the park when a car pulled along side me. A woman said "Hey, Dave!" It was a woman who had been on my cross country tour the year before. Her boyfriend was driving and pulled over. We chatted for a bit. I asked her how she had been able to recognize me. She pointed out that I was wearing the same outfit she saw me in all of last summer.

Later during that tour I was eating lunch under a picnic shelter in Kremling, CO. A couple riding fully loaded bikes pulled in. Had seen this same couple the year before riding in the opposite direction in Montana. I recognized them because they had custom racks and panniers made by the same guy who made mine. They remembered me shouting to them about our Beckman panniers.

In 2016 I was touring in Montana. One night I ended up camping at the same place as Adventure Cycling's Cycle Montana supported tour. As I was setting up my tent among the tour participants', I head a loud, unmistakable Louisiana accent. I looked around and saw a woman who had been on ACA's Cycle Vermont tour in 2010. She was there again with her husband and friend. One of the Cycle Montana leaders had also been on the same Cycle Vermont tour.
Old 04-15-19, 01:34 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I had one of those a few years ago. I attended a recumbent rally in Tennessee. It was a 10-hour drive. The shop that was hosting the rally was just a spot on the road. On the first day, everyone was mingling and a non-cyclist struck up a conversation with me. After a few minutes, she asked, "Are you married to MichaelAnn?" Um,... yes, how did you know? It turned out she was a HS classmate of my wife. She was visiting relatives in Georgia and they had all decided to drive to Tennessee and visit Cade's Cove State Park for the weekend. Once they were in the area, they noticed some excitement at the bike shop so stopped to see what was up, and there I was.
Old 04-18-19, 07:56 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
@jppeYou're being modest Joe, looks like you have groupies following you on your rides now.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 04-19-19, 06:05 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
@jppeYou're being modest Joe, looks like you have groupies following you on your rides now.

Bill
Ya think?
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
It was one of my most pleasant cycling days in 40 years of cycling, to ride with jppe, and to direct his wife in the van to various locations and ultimately the Atlantic Ocean...

We waited for Jeri to arrive with Sushi, and jp told me the heartwarming story of how they acquired him (I think). So Jeri arrived with the handsome dog, and right away a group of three young ladies gathered around admiring, ignoring the guy in the superhero costume.

I had to tell them that the dog had just come across the country from Oregon, and oh yeah...with the guy in the red suit on a bicycle.
Old 04-19-19, 08:07 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
Whoa ... I love that! And all because you did a good deed by offering to take their pix for them.

Old 04-19-19, 08:28 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
I had a similar weird coincidence happen to me, although maybe only slightly less likely.

Backstory: My wife and I took physics together in college, and she was always making smartass suggestions to me, and I'm just dumb enough to try them....

So since we were allowed a 5" x 8" 'cheat sheet' for our final exam, she jokingly asked if we could being a microfiche machine, and the instructor laughed and said sure.

....so we did. We didn't actually go through the trouble of putting our notes on microfiche, mind you, but she had access to a friend's old machine, and I hauled it along for laughs. The instructor laughed when I walked in with it, but told me I could go plug it in and sit by an outlet. He's a cool guy.

Anyway, years later, I was telling this story at work, and one of the engineers piped up with "That was you?"

Turns out, he had the same instructor for physics, and the instructor had told that story every semester.
Old 04-24-19, 10:07 AM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Waaaay back in the early '70s when I was a teen, the family was on a vacation to the PacNorWest. We're checking in to a campground on the Olympic Peninsula - and wouldn't you know it - one of my dad's coworkers from NASA Cleveland (Lewis Research Center) was checking out.

Another time on that same trip - I'm thinking it was Crater Lake - we were at a campground and someone driving down the camp ground roadway saw my High School leterman's jacket and our sign out front (Our last name, and city of residence engraved in a redwood sign) hanging on the lot number post... They were sqare dance friends of my parents from the next suburb over here in Cleveland....

Then there was the time I was vacationing in the Virgin Islands, on St Croix. I'm walking back to town from a remote beach, and a car stops to give me a lift back to town... The couple turned out to be very good friends and former college classmates of one of my postal patrons from the west side of Cleveland - and they lived on the east side of Cleveland during the summers but in the islands during the winters...

It's a small world, after all!
Old 04-28-19, 04:40 PM
JLDickmon
dollar-store reject

Bikes: one big fat wad of classic Cannondale mtb's

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
I'll be damned.. that's a great story.